August 8th-1992. The Montreal Riot

6 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I don't think what happened in Montreal or at the MTV awards had much to do with their dwindling popularity.   It was simply the fickle nature of the music business.  In fact it was a testament to their greatness, I don't know if that's the right word, that they were able to survive that change at all.  

I agree, apart from grunge there were a swag of new bands becoming popular and being touted as the next best thing. 

18 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I agree, apart from grunge there were a swag of new bands becoming popular and being touted as the next best thing. 

True. Long live Spin Doctors, Hootie, Counting Crows, and Blues Traveler. I don't think there are four bands that I despise more and they came out around the same time.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

True. Long live Spin Doctors, Hootie, Counting Crows, and Blues Traveler. I don't think there are four bands that I despise more and they came out around the same time.😄

I file bands like that under "there's a time and a place for everything".

For example, I'm spinning some live Ozzy right now and rocking the fuck out to Randy killing it on Flying High Again. 

However, I'll fuck around and listen to Little Miss Can't Be Wrong or Round Here if/when I'm in the right mood. 

• Like 1

Thought it would be appropriate to include Axl’s cheeky comments referencing the riot at the NITL show Montreal 2017...

when talking about the venue he said something like “ah, the saint laurence river...they knew better than to put you and I in a stadium together! They tried that!”

and after paradise city he goes “Thank you! We tore this place up without...tearing it apart”

Nice that he can kind of joke about himself now.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I file bands like that under "there's a time and a place for everything".

For example, I'm spinning some live Ozzy right now and rocking the fuck out to Randy killing it on Flying High Again. 

However, I'll fuck around and listen to Little Miss Can't Be Wrong or Round Here if/when I'm in the right mood. 

I hear ya.  Counting Crows had a song called A Long December which I really liked.  As far as Randy, I don't feel he gets his due when it comes to getting mentioned with the greats.  If he had lived longer he undoubtedly would have.

Edit: I just checked Rolling Stones' top 100 guitarists and Randy Rhoads was number 36.  So he got some love there, I would say that's about right.   

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Yep.

4 non blondes

Francis dunnery (american life in the summertime)

Scatterbrain ( dont call me dude)

Presidents of the united states

3 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I hear ya.  Counting Crows had a song called A Long December which I really liked.  As far as Randy, I don't feel he gets his due when it comes to getting mentioned with the greats.  If he had lived longer he undoubtedly would have.

Edit: I just checked Rolling Stones' top 100 guitarists and Randy Rhoads was number 36.  So he got some love there, I would say that's about right.   

He should be in the top20.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I wasn't trying to spin it, I don't care enough to do that.  I was stating a fact that Axl was having throat issues.  And I said that he should've handled it better by communicating to the crowd what was happening.

No :D I was agreeing with you and furthering your thoughts. Miscommunication :) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I bought the LP with A Long December just for that one song lol.

Also, you're insane. Randy gets all the credit he deserves!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I know it, you profil name say it, you was in the St.Louis incident 😆 i think that would be funny an convention of GNR fans that survived about many GNR riots...😃

How many have there been?  There was one in Vancouver but it wasn't to the level of Montreal or St. Louis.  Then there was the tragedy at Donnington but that wouldn't really be classified as a riot. Would it?

43 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

How many have there been?  There was one in Vancouver but it wasn't to the level of Montreal or St. Louis.  Then there was the tragedy at Donnington but that wouldn't really be classified as a riot. Would it?

You are right, not many riot, mabe i mix bit with many late shows. Yes, Donnington isn't riot, was an tragedy unfortunate.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:18 AM, Original said:

I remember being glued the MTV watching Tabitha Soren report on it.  Then I was all worried my Minneapolis show the next month would be cancelled because of it etc... 

Yup.  And then it was postponed.  It really sucked.  I was in high school and the guy that was supposed to go with couldnt because his parents wouldnt let him miss school when it was changed from summer to September.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:32 PM, moreblack said:

I don't know how much they truly survived, everyone left Axl and they just meekly disappeared from public view, except for Jungle getting played at sports games. That and the truly strongest singles got airplay on radio still. But as far as the public knew, they were ghosts as of 1994.

It was rough up until 98/99. I remember debates in college (i.e. with people my age who had lived through Guns’ great days as I had) about whether Appetite was even a good album- and NOT hair metal cheese. That’s how much the backlash was (at least in my world).

Fortunately, for Guns: (1) as you say- nothing rocks a sports arena/stadium like “WTTJ” (or “SCOM” & “PC” to a lesser extent); and (2) the grunge/alt wave didn’t end up having the longest tenure (Kurt died, PJ went “anti-commercial”, etc.). Put those two together and it created an environment where SPIN, RS, MTV, etc. were all back on the Axl/Guns trail by 1999. Also, even though I am an “Axl guy”, love Chinese, etc.- I would concede that Contraband was helpful in revitalizing public interest in Guns too...

Whatever the case, sitting here now in 2019- I do think they “survived” it (but it wasn’t easy!). To me that’s why the NITL Tour has been so gratifying. At the end of the day, the music and mystique was impossible to stop permanently...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY