Will Axl's stage banter return with new songs?

22 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

i wouldnt be surprised if the promoter has a "no-rant" clause... doesnt seem like anyone wanted to leave anything up to chance... i wouldnt even be surprised if the stagnant setlist is due to some type of contractuel agreement

The stagnant set list is probably more related to the lighting and video production.  There is an additional cost for each song they have to produce a light and video show for.  I'm sure if Axl/the Band insisted on adding a song to the rotation, they would get their way but the promoter isn't going to push for it.

There isn't a "no-rant" clause based on evidence.  The the August 2018 show in Miami, he went on for a while before the audience participation part of KOHD on the Trump/Kim north Korea rhetoric.  He was quite direct in criticizing "our fearless leader."  If there was a clause like that, it would certainly prohibit political comments.  There was also that show in Europe somewhere where he went off on the security guy in the middle of a song (Better?) that was making a little girl get off of her Dad's shoulders.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2019 at 12:57 AM, Shacklermyrye said:

I saw a rant on YT years ago where he was talking about how everyone thinks they have time to waste. "We aint got no fucking time"

I wish he would stumble on that clip and listen to himself.

He would be able to if his housekeeper's minions hadn't taken it down.

5 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

The stagnant set list is probably more related to the lighting and video production.  There is an additional cost for each song they have to produce a light and video show for.  I'm sure if Axl/the Band insisted on adding a song to the rotation, they would get their way but the promoter isn't going to push for it.

There isn't a "no-rant" clause based on evidence.  The the August 2018 show in Miami, he went on for a while before the audience participation part of KOHD on the Trump/Kim north Korea rhetoric.  He was quite direct in criticizing "our fearless leader."  If there was a clause like that, it would certainly prohibit political comments.  There was also that show in Europe somewhere where he went off on the security guy in the middle of a song (Better?) that was making a little girl get off of her Dad's shoulders.

Holy shit I only saw the clip of him yelling at the security guard in 2017 in some axl rant compilation. Would love to know what show that was so I can see it again.

Axl told some stories between songs during NITL. I had posted this little collection in an old thread. I don't know if the videos of those shows are still up.

When we recorded that song [Don't Cry] originally, we were driving the engineer nuts in Hollywood, and Steven wanted more high hat. And finally the guy cracked and he pulled a gun on us. Unlike Ryan Lochte and his gun, our gun was real. [Sao Paulo, Brazil, November 11, 2016]

I heard that in the Cheap Trick song that says "they are out to get you". Yet, when this was in our song, I was the paranoid fucker. But you know, I didn't write it; that was the only line I didn't write in that song, "out ta get me". That was Izzy's  [Lisbon, Portugal, June 2, 2017]

The person I wrote that song [This I Love] for, said, "Thank you for the gift of your soul". Well, it took a while but I got that fucker back. [Copenhagen, Denmark, June 27, 2017]

I wanna introduce the band, but before I do that ,I want to share a little piece of trivia on the song Coma. When we recorded that song, when we recorded Use Your Illusions, everybody was involved in different parts of writing it, but only one person came down, once, to help with the vocals. And that was the help with one word. Slash came down to make sure I got the word "Goddammit!" right. Just sharing that with you. It was very, very, very important to him that I got the right pronunciation and the right inflection on the word "Goddammit". Just sharing. [Buffalo, NY, USA, August 16, 2017]

I remember when we wrote that Used To Love Her song. It really, really wasn't about misogyny or anything. It was just that - there was another band in town, and they had written a song. And Izzy and I were sitting around, and it was all about how a woman kicked the guy's ass. And we were like, "Wow, what a bunch of pussies!" [Hartford, CT, USA, October 23, 2017].

Probably there were more. There was also that story about the gun in Canada. And he talked constantly during KOHD.

• Like 1