Guns N' Roses: The Band From Hell

Reviews like this are just glorious, they are literally a shining endorsement of the band because you have to be of some worth to piss off an absolute instrument like the man writing that fuckin' article :lol:  I miss that ol' 20th Century witch hunt hysteria towards young white males with guitars, it was a glorious time.  Watch some of those old episodes of fuckin'...I can't even remember the names, Maury or Geraldo or whoever...and they have these kids on who are the subjects of these talkshow episodes and, I swear to God, compared to the fuckin' audience and their mongy fuckin' parents the kids are like the only sane reasonable ones.  It seemed almost like it was the adults that were prey to what they were afraid their kids would be prey too i.e. an inability to seperate music (or movies) from reality. 

There's nothing more funnier than watching stuffy middle class writers discuss sexuality :lol:  Young men finding out about their bodies for the first time :lol:

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Reviews like this are just glorious, they are literally a shining endorsement of the band because you have to be of some worth to piss off an absolute instrument like the man writing that fuckin' article :lol:  I miss that ol' 20th Century witch hunt hysteria towards young white males with guitars, it was a glorious time.  Watch some of those old episodes of fuckin'...I can't even remember the names, Maury or Geraldo or whoever...and they have these kids on who are the subjects of these talkshow episodes and, I swear to God, compared to the fuckin' audience and their mongy fuckin' parents the kids are like the only sane reasonable ones.  It seemed almost like it was the adults that were prey to what they were afraid their kids would be prey too i.e. an inability to seperate music (or movies) from reality. 

There's nothing more funnier than watching stuffy middle class writers discuss sexuality :lol:  Young men finding out about their bodies for the first time :lol:

My fave is the GG Allin interview with Jane Whitney.  Absolute gold.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

hell is for christian, muslims and jews, they created it :D

Yes and no. The popular conception of "hell" is a medieval construct created by the powerful to control the people. Judaism didnt even tackle the concept in full until after the arrival of Christianity. And its still largely relegated to rabbinical texts. Hollywood did the rest with 'Christian hell.'

But we can say this: Conservative Christianity's claim to social conservatism is based on humans being designed by god (with the understanding being that the nature of the created bodies implies their intended use). So a band from Hell ought not be anticipated to follow these designs as they are "from Hell." I guess he couldn't exercise the demons and got crabby? :lol:

We know that Guns are seekers. Zika's of Paradise City :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, jamillos said:

The way we laugh at this... is the same way one day future people will (hopefully) laugh at that today's political corectness bullshit...

I can only talk for myself but I laugh at this article because people got so upset by swear words and music describing sex and drugs and violence back in the 80s and 90s. It was this "Christian family values" thing where some music was deemed to be immoral (or amoral) and wicked, and where kids were supposed to behave in a very narrow way. Kids just wanted to shape their own identity, they wanted to be different, maybe have tattoos, maybe have long hair, maybe go nuts at a rock concert, be a bit more reckless and irresponsible than their parents. But the parents wouldn't have it, and I found it and still find it to be ridiculous.

I think this is very different to today's "political correctness" which in my opinion is an extension of this fight against social conservatism and which has now evolved into countering discrimination of people simply because of who they are and what they do and who they love, including females, muslims, gays… It is an effort to be more inclusive and prevent marginalizing and insulting others.

The red thread here, I think, is people wanting to live their lives the way they want it, regardless of what some might find right or acceptable, whether that is kids in the 80s who want to have long hair or Jews today who don't want to be referred to with derogatory words. 

So yeah, I probably couldn't disagree more :lol:

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I can only talk for myself but I laugh at this article because people got so upset by swear words and music describing sex and drugs and violence back in the 80s and 90s. It was this "Christian family values" thing where some music was deemed to be immoral (or amoral) and wicked, and where kids were supposed to behave in a very narrow way. Kids just wanted to shape their own identity, they wanted to be different, maybe have tattoos, maybe have long hair, maybe go nuts at a rock concert, be a bit more reckless and irresponsible than their parents. But the parents wouldn't have it, and I found it and still find it to be ridiculous.

I think this is very different to today's "political correctness" which in my opinion is an extension of this fight against social conservatism and which has now evolved into countering discrimination of people simply because of who they are and what they do and who they love, including females, muslims, gays… It is an effort to be more inclusive and prevent marginalizing and insulting others.

The red thread here, I think, is people wanting to live their lives the way they want it, regardless of what some might find right or acceptable, whether that is kids in the 80s who want to have long hair or Jews today who don't want to be referred to with derogatory words. 

If you're saying I can't laugh at some one today (or 30 years from now) who says they identify as a fire-belly toad and that I must address them as such, then I couldn't disagree with you more :lol:

Back on topic, that article was hilarious.  I despise anyone who tries to tell me (or anyone else) what I should or shouldn't listen to.  American history has countless examples where pop culture has been blamed for violence, poor family values, etc even though there is no concrete evidence to back up any of those claims. That's why I hate attempted censorship of any kind whether it's Trump saying video games are to blame for mass shootings or Spotify taking down 'white power' bands because they incite violence or in 1991 claiming GNR are a band from hell.  The first thing people take aim at is entertainment.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I never get tired of stuffy conservative types and their outrage over rock music.

It was just the other day I was watching an old news clip on NIN that described Trent Reznor, "who has a flair for wearing jewellery... IN HIS NOSE!"

Lol it ain't just conservatives.  In case you forgot about this gem:

https://www3.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/05/11/axl-rose-small-hopeful-example-for-our-fractured-nation/wPwZY2XvDVelvZXzRqjIoI/story.html?arc404=true

1 minute ago, Azifwekare said:

I think an n-bomb is a little bit worse than a nose ring, but maybe that's just me.

She also says Used to Love Her needs to be 'dumped in the nearest bin' as it promotes violence against women.  I always thought the song was not to be taken literally but :shrugs:

The point I was trying to make is that attempts at censorship are coming from both sides these days and it's disgraceful.  We're all big boys and girls here.  I think we can decide what's best for us instead of the government/media telling us.  Not that I was going to see The Hunt opening weekend, but the fact that it's release was cancelled, not postponed, is ridiculous.  Anyways apologies if this got off topic, but I thought this was relevant to the article posted by the op.  

7 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

She also says Used to Love Her needs to be 'dumped in the nearest bin' as it promotes violence against women.  I always thought the song was not to be taken literally but :shrugs:

Crazy enough it was actually used as evidence in a murder trial. The guy had downloaded and deleted the song hours before he killed his wife.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I never get tired of stuffy conservative types and their outrage over rock music.

It was just the other day I was watching an old news clip on NIN that described Trent Reznor, "who has a flair for wearing jewellery... IN HIS NOSE!"

It's kind of funny how things change over time.  When they came out, they were the bane of stuffy conservatives, fast forward 30 years and liberals are offended by GnR's misogyny.   We'll never get a proper Corn Chucker because #metoo. 

Edited by DeadSlash

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I meant extremes, exaggerating, like in that article. Looking back at it, it’s ridiculous. PC is not here to help people in minorities, even though originally there may have been some similar intent. PC is a hypocritical system which is used to pretend that shit is getting solved, while it’s really being just swept under the rug, and which is used to censor our minds (subsequently leading to self-censorship too, of course).

Anyway, funny article.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3