Songs about GNR

i'm interested in songs that members wrote about their time in the band, that at some point have been in GNR. can we get a whole list?

i know about:

Snakepit: What do you wanna be, beggars & hangers on

Bumble: living the dream, never again

what else?

We'll never know what a certain song is really about, unless the author points it out specifically, which rearly happens. Music is generally up for interpretation.

For me, Duff's "Who's to blame" sounds like something that might be about "the band", not any individual member in particular, but it might just as well be about something else entirely (like fame for example).

18 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

"A loaded gun jammed by a rose"

That isn't about Axl? :lol:

yes it is. See below

45 minutes ago, History2010 said:

yeah. Written from Slash's perspective about Axl. 

"Slash sent me the music of it and I worked on the melody and some lyrics for him and what I did with the lyrics, I thought, what's always gotten me about the GUNS N' ROSES guys and I say to Slash all the time, 'Do you realize what you guys did? You'll never understand. You guys could've been the next ROLLING STONES, the next superband,'" Ozzy said. "And what I wrote in the song, 'Crucify The Dead', is if I were Slash, what I would send in a message to Axl.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trin9498 said:

Good song. Haven’t heard it in ages. I think Load is one of their best albums, though I know I’m in the minority on that

I got a couple of "laughing" votes on my post, which is odd. I wasn't making a joke lol. It seems very obvious to me that King Nothing is about Axl. 

I don't think the lyrics of Beggars and Hangers On are related to GnR, because it was Eric Dover's "tryout" song. Dover wrote lyrics for Beggars, sent the demo to Slash, Slash liked it and hired him - this is what they were saying in interviews of the time, at least.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cass said:

For me, Duff's "Who's to blame" sounds like something that might be about "the band", not any individual member in particular, but it might just as well be about something else entirely (like fame for example).

You're right. "Who's to Blame" is about GNR. Duff said "It's about the breakup of guns."

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/releases/duff/beautiful-disease/whos-to-blame.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdF6Xk2J32w

1 minute ago, fernandoGNR said:

You're right. "Who's to Blame" is about GNR. Duff said "It's about the breakup of guns."

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/releases/duff/beautiful-disease/whos-to-blame.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdF6Xk2J32w

w00t? Like "who's to blame" for GNR breakup? I always thought it was like "who's to blame" for my killing myself with booze. Well, like I said, music is subject for interpretation.

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think the lyrics of Beggars and Hangers On are related to GnR, because it was Eric Dover's "tryout" song. Dover wrote lyrics for Beggars, sent the demo to Slash, Slash liked it and hired him - this is what they were saying in interviews of the time, at least.

Yeah come on people listen to more than the chorus lyrics. Literally the first lines are "Well I know you couldn't love me cause you're promised to a wealthy man" :lol:

Take It Away on Snakepit is about Axl i believe.

• Like 1

I like the story of this:

On your blog, I found a hilarious letter to Axl Rose. Did you write this to compliment the song on Brilliant! Tragic!?

I’ve seen Axl Rose Live recently.  My brother is a huge fan, so last year we went to watch Guns N’ Roses together because he had never seen them before. He was really excited about it. And then Axl goofed it, and my brother was a bit upset, and I felt a bit sorry for my brother. So that’s where the song came from. The song is really more about my brother than me.

Growing up, my brother and I shared a room, and he was angry all the time, and I sort of think my brother found his way in the world because of Guns N’  Roses. He learned how to tell people to fuck off, in a good way, you know? So the letter is on behalf of my brother.

I really think GnR are a great band, I just really think if you got into an argument with someone, you’d want Axl in your corner. He’s a good guy to have on your side. You know, you don’t want Rivers Cuomo defending you. Axl Rose is the guy who will stand up for you. It’s funny, when I was recording the song, and being with Frank Black and him going, “you know, if there’s one thing you can say about Axl, it’s that he tells people to fuck off.” It was pretty amazing having a conversation with Black Francis about, you know, Axl Rose.

http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/dc/2011/04/tvd-interviews-eddie-argos-we-think-hes-top-of-the-pops/

I like the last part with the Black Francis/Frank Black quote, in particular :lol:

• Haha 2