Duff- GQ (UK version) interview (decent too)

Man, it must be exhausting answering the same questions for XX years. Almost at exhausting as listening to / reading Duff in the past couple of years, it's like he says the same thing every time, just using different words. I think he does too much publicity. Also, the family angle got so boring so long ago.

12 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Duff and I have something in common, I don't like hearing his voice either. 

That's savage :lol:

1 hour ago, GnR Chris said:

Reading now. Duff saying that Axl has an amazing memory for detail makes me wish even more that Axl would write a book and tell his side of the story. It'd be the most accurate account of GNR history, IMO.

Yeah, I would love a 'complete' view, so a book from Axl, but one from Izzy too. I would think he has a different approach/view of Axl specifically than the others.

I think Marc Canter said Axl would start about sth that happened ages ago which everyone would have forgotten, but Axl still remembered accurately. Didn't he or someone else also say he wrote everything down?

3 hours ago, Cass said:

Man, it must be exhausting answering the same questions for XX years.

Well, thats their own fault for not giving what the masses want, new music. Theres nothing to ask about, really. Nobody cares for their solo efforts, so they ask the basics about it and then back to old stuff. 

Im sure there will be plenty new stuff to talk about if they release something. 

Edited by default_

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

Didn't he or someone else also say he wrote everything down?

Izzy said that about a phone call Axl made him and then started to say something like: but in 1513 you said so, so and so. :lol: while reading some kind of diary. 

Edited by default_
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Axl had started working on an autobiography with Del James in 1992, in the form of interviews. Then it developed into an official band biography that was scheduled to be released some time in 1994, but, like many other things that were planned for that year, never happened.

It would be interesting if that material could be released today, either as an Axl autobiography or as a band biography, with the addition of a narration that would give context to the interviews; and maybe of what Axl/the band members think now of what they said then. I think it would be a good concept for a book.

I wonder if Axl continued doing interviews with Del through the years for the purpose of a book.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

Yep, he talked about this in the China Exchange interview. He said the problem was how to write/publish a biography without calling everyone a liar in the book.

And I understand that. I mean, now that they’ve buried the hatchet, they definitely wouldn’t want to shit on each other publicly again, would they.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Reading now. Duff saying that Axl has an amazing memory for detail makes me wish even more that Axl would write a book and tell his side of the story. It'd be the most accurate account of GNR history, IMO.

Although I feel like his detailed memory and established case of lead singer syndrome may prove to be in conflict with each other :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Yep, he talked about this in the China Exchange interview. He said the problem was how to write/publish a biography without calling everyone a liar in the book.

And I understand that. I mean, now that they’ve buried the hatchet, they definitely wouldn’t want to shit on each other publicly again, would they.

He could do it like Duff, just say that it's his story, how he experienced it. I don't want him arguing stories from other band members books or business details. I'd just like to hear his side of it all, his side of the GNR story, and of his own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lio said:

He could do it like Duff, just say that it's his story, how he experienced it. I don't want him arguing stories from other band members books or business details. I'd just like to hear his side of it all, his side of the GNR story, and of his own.

Sure, but given the significance of the matters, the Slash feud, the CD era management issues, and the depth of his insight, I don’t think he’d have a chance to publish an all-correct, harmless book, unless we’d want it to be just a bland recollection of trivia. 
I mean, he can't avoid all that, can he? Nah, either someone else has to write it, with a sort of unofficial blessing on his part, or we won’t get anything of the sorts until he’s like eighty and the band’s been over for years... IMO. 

Edit: Also, when e.g. Slash was writing his book, he didn't have to give a shit about anything like that, because he wasn't in the band any longer back then, was he...

Edited by jamillos

1 hour ago, Lio said:

Or do it like Bruce Dickinson, who left all the women, drugs and children out of his book. Which to me, as a huge Iron Maiden fan, made it kinda boring and was like 'lets read 250 pages about Bruce and all his hobbies'. Definitely interesting at times and there's insight into how Maiden is run to some extent, but other than that; probably the most boring official autobiography by a member of huge rock/metal band.

• Like 1

Bill krutzmen of the dead put out a book a few years ago where he mentions his co-drummer having “managed to weasel his way back into the band” after being away due to some unpleasant business dealings.

these men are still sitting next to each other and drumming to this day. They do extended duets. 

Why can’t guns be more like that? Axl just write a book!!

1 hour ago, soon said:

Bill krutzmen of the dead put out a book a few years ago where he mentions his co-drummer having “managed to weasel his way back into the band” after being away due to some unpleasant business dealings.

these men are still sitting next to each other and drumming to this day. They do extended duets. 

Why can’t guns be more like that? Axl just write a book!!

I'm guessing Axl is just trying to preserve the harmony between him and Slash. (Duff as well to a lesser extent) Telling it like it is comes with a price. Axl seems to be an honest person so if he writes an autobiography I think there will be no option of avoiding the nasty.

Right now the three of them are friends again. A much better relationship compared to what you've described with the weasel drummer. Bottom line is what's more important to Axl: writing a book right now that will probably hurt at least Slash in some capacity or not risking fuckin' up a good thing.

Having said that, an Axl autobiography will be so great. Duff wrote 2 books. Axl could easily pull off a trilogy.

Edited by Rovim

On 8/16/2019 at 5:25 AM, Jordan Rose said:

I find it kinda weird how often and how much both Slash and Duff put Axl's vocals over on the tour when they're the poor fuckers who have to listen to every note of every song in perfect clarity in their ear monitors every night. 

I would assume that their monitors have their instrument at the highest volume, the drums next and Axl just loud enough to hear where he is in the song or if he is saying something to them.

• Like 1

On 16.8.2019 at 11:25 AM, Jordan Rose said:

I find it kinda weird how often and how much both Slash and Duff put Axl's vocals over on the tour when they're the poor fuckers who have to listen to every note of every song in perfect clarity in their ear monitors every night. 

When they play RIR 2017 Axl came in late on DTJ and Slash just kept on playing, he  played the chorus even though Axl didn't even start the verse yet, that's where I began to wonder whether Slash just turns Axls vocals off on his bad nights

Edited by SAU3R

On 8/16/2019 at 7:42 AM, Rovim said:

I'm guessing Axl is just trying to preserve the harmony between him and Slash. (Duff as well to a lesser extent) Telling it like it is comes with a price. Axl seems to be an honest person so if he writes an autobiography I think there will be no option of avoiding the nasty.

Right now the three of them are friends again. A much better relationship compared to what you've described with the weasel drummer. Bottom line is what's more important to Axl: writing a book right now that will probably hurt at least Slash in some capacity or not risking fuckin' up a good thing.

Having said that, an Axl autobiography will be so great. Duff wrote 2 books. Axl could easily pull off a trilogy.

I would literally get a job as a fedex driver with the Hope of having Axls books in there headed to the book store a few days before the release date. (I'd read one before delivering of course)

I think he could put a book out and not rock the boat too much.  Slash has always said Axl has his version of events and I think as long as he let Slash read it ahead of time, things might be ok. 

plus Slash cant leave.  needs the money to pay Perla

with that said as much as I'd like to buy Axls book, i dont think we will ever see it.  seeing that Axl wont promote any of his professional stuff, I doubt he would open up with alot of his personal stuff.  plus I could see the press twisting some of the stories in there (especially anything about Yoda) to make Axl look like a crazy (ier) person.  headline wound be "Axl, the wife beating, racist, riot starting, occult believing, taco bell enthusiast has released a tell all book about GNR and Slash!"

but it would be a hell of a book. I'd be the first to buy it.  one copy for every bathroom in my house for sure.