The Matrix 4 (with Keanu Reeves)

rocknroll41

49 minutes ago, Dazey said:

2 and 3 were absolute cinematic dog turds so I won't be kicking down the door to see this.

2 and 3 are not canon anymore, apparently.

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

They're all dead. Why?

I used to be all for useless sequels but this is so... Whatever... 

Back to the Future remains the only old blockbuster franchise unvisited. Its probably for the best

They’re pulling a Terminator and doing the whole “2 and 3 never happened” thing.

24 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

No thank you then. 

Sequels which go on, but pretend previous sequels always turn out badly.

Yeah I’m not really a fan of that approach either. Seems to be happening a lot lately tho.

remember when Sarah Connor was dead? Remember when Michael Myers and Laurie Strode were siblings?

I actually loved Reloaded and felt it set the series up well for a mind-bending conclusion.  Instead we got Revolutions, which could not have been worse.  

If it's more Reloaded and less Revolution, then fine.  

Either way, I'll probably see it.  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

I've been reading the Situationalist International library lately. The Matrix is basically one way of discussing some of their theory. That in modern times life has been replaced with a spectacle of itself. And once life, culture and sustenance are commodified the puppet masters are free to manifest whatever they wish. But despite that control paradigm humanity inherently desire's authenticity.

So its neat to consider that a critique of the spectacle has been commodified and then turned around and presented as the spectacle itself.

Edited by soon

31 minutes ago, soon said:

I've been reading the Situationalist International library lately. The Matrix is basically one way of discussing some of their theory. That in modern times life has been replaced with a spectacle of itself. And once life, culture and sustenance are commodified the puppet masters are free to manifest whatever they wish. But despite that control paradigm humanity inherently desire's authenticity.

So its neat to consider that a critique of the spectacle has been commodified and then turned around and presented as the spectacle itself.

Jean Baudrillard's idea of hyperreality 

12 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Jean Baudrillard's idea of hyperreality 

Yeah, he wasnt a Situationalist so far as I know, but hyperreality is a better fit for what we see in the film itself, thats true. (I've only seen the first movie). And to me the Situalionalists can add another dimension to the conversation with their notion of exchange or "proxy" as described within the context of "the spectacle." I think this idea of core truths and core human traits being commodified is potentially at odds with the postmodern notion of "the simulation" or hyperreality? And thats what Im digging at here, that real life becomes the spectacle - the Situationalists' heartfelt critique of cinema becomes cinema.  

25 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I know I saw the other 3, but honestly, I was so confused by them. lol

Love Keanu as John Wick! Can't wait for number 4 So glad Keanu is back on top.

I love the John Wick movies too! It’s cool that Keanu is doing Bill & Ted 3 in 2020, and then he’s doing both John Wick 4 and The Matrix 4 in 2021. He has a big couple of years ahead of him.

8 hours ago, downzy said:

I actually loved Reloaded and felt it set the series up well for a mind-bending conclusion.  Instead we got Revolutions, which could not have been worse.  

If it's more Reloaded and less Revolution, then fine.  

Either way, I'll probably see it.  

THANK YOU. It bums me out that so many people downplay Reloaded, I love Reloaded. I genuinely don't understand what so many people have against it.

But man, Revolutions sucks. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

THANK YOU. It bums me out that so many people downplay Reloaded, I love Reloaded. I genuinely don't understand what so many people have against it.

But man, Revolutions sucks. 

I think it was the Rave scene that people remember. But I remember Monica Belucci and the car chase. 

• GNFNR 1

Revolutions was boring. It really should have been 1 long film with a few of the subplots taken out and the machine fight.

Revolutions had nothing except the cool start of the final fight, which itself gets a little silly.

I think I have more postives thoughts about it, because I was in high school at the time and remember the period well. Return of the King came out several weeks later too, I remember staying off school to go see it on the first day of release. I remember people bursting into laughter during the Matrix rave scene in the cinema and walking out during the multiple end scenes of Return of the King, because they thought it was too long.

4 will be a huge release regardless of how good it is.

Edited by AtariLegend

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I recently re-watched The Matrix and it has dated in the sense it is incredibly late-90s, all leather and sun glasses and techno-metal soundtracking. There is an obligatory nightclub scene of course. 

I wonder if they’ll try to “reinvent” the aesthetic to try to adapt the new one to modern times, or if they’ll keep everything the same because of nostalgia.