The Matrix 4 (with Keanu Reeves)

rocknroll41

If there was ever a movie that should not have gotten sequels, it's The Matrix.

The fact of the matter is, those two guys/girls never did anything on that level again, despite swinging for the fences every time. They're very creative and ambitious, but their ability and their taste, went absolutely haywire, after The Matrix.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

If there was ever a movie that should not have gotten sequels, it's The Matrix.

The fact of the matter is, those two guys/girls never did anything on that level again, despite swinging for the fences every time. They're very creative and ambitious, but their ability and their taste, went absolutely haywire, after The Matrix.

They did V for Vendetta which was huge, Speed Racer which was trash. Cloud Atlas was okay. Sense8 is good

Maybe I'm missing something but it's not a bad record. Obviously they never repeated Matrix but there aren't many writers/directors that can really

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

They did V for Vendetta which was huge, Speed Racer which was trash. Cloud Atlas was okay. Sense8 is good

Maybe I'm missing something but it's not a bad record. Obviously they never repeated Matrix but there aren't many writers/directors that can really

Jupiter Ascending which wasn't a box office sucess, however both of the Matrix sequels were huge. So it's hit and miss.

This film is a guranteed sucess, it's a sequel to a major franshise almost 2 decades later with the same cast.

I think people are crazy if they think reloaded was a failure. It was certainly no Highlander 2. It was big in pop culture and a box office storm with special effects that were pretty great for the time.

5 hours ago, Nicklord said:

I forgot about V for Vendetta, that was fairly big for the time.

But the sense is that those people have kind of lost their minds in eccentricity. I saw Speed Racer and I vividly remember seeing Cloud Atlas with a girl who claimed it was her favorite movie. Think I tore a ligament running away from her. There was that movie with Channing Tatum that was received unfavorably, too.

Basically, what I've found, is that for someone with such an abundance of talent, I stay away from Wachowski stuff just like I try to stay away from Shamalyan stuff. The movies burn themselves out with concept before they're ever any good.

I'd forgotten just how much that Architect scene smacked of a film that thought it was cleverer than it actually was. The first Matrix was phenomenal... I have no idea if you can ever really follow it up.

It's kinda like Jaws... I wonder if you assembled the most talented cast, crew and writing team known to cinematography, if they'd still struggle to make a sequel to that film that lived up to the first one.

Edited by Graeme
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 9:04 AM, rocknroll41 said:

I wonder if they’ll try to “reinvent” the aesthetic to try to adapt the new one to modern times, or if they’ll keep everything the same because of nostalgia.

I mean the directors ar women now. Talk about adapting to modern times. 

Edited by Georgy Zhukov
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2019 at 5:14 AM, rocknroll41 said:

2 and 3 are not canon anymore, apparently.

They’re pulling a Terminator and doing the whole “2 and 3 never happened” thing.

Terrible idea. Hollywood is truly lost. 

I liked the trilogy, yes the first one is better than the rest, but it's all good fun. The matrix arc was completed. I think the adult-nerd culture nowadays take them way too seriously. 

But making another movie two decades later is a bit ridiculous. I just don't care what is canon and what is not in their mind, it won't change mine.

4 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Terrible idea. Hollywood is truly lost. 

I liked the trilogy, yes the first one is better than the rest, but it's all good fun. The matrix arc was completed. I think the adult-nerd culture nowadays take them way too seriously. 

But making another movie two decades later is a bit ridiculous. I just don't care what is canon and what is not in their mind, it won't change mine.

Apparently I misread the thing about 2 and 3 no longer being canon when the news broke. They haven’t said just yet how this new one will fit into the others. With that being said, I still have a feeling they’re gonna decanonize 2 and 3. Don’t really see another way they can do it. Doing just another iteration of the one (as the architect explained in the 2nd film) would just feel weird imo.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2019 at 11:18 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I recently re-watched The Matrix and it has dated in the sense it is incredibly late-90s, all leather and sun glasses and techno-metal soundtracking. There is an obligatory nightclub scene of course. 

That's precisely what made The Matrix great and why it doesn't make sense to make a comeback movie in 2021.