Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

9 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

So when are Fink, Brain, mothergoose n bucket coming back for the real reunion?

The more I listen to it the more I like it. The fact there are a few people who think it's fake fucking astounds me lol.

I cannot imagine on what planet some people think it's fake. To each their own, I guess. 

2 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

Usually your criticisms are pretty on point. Except here. Nothing post 1991 will ever beat AFD. As for UYI, sure there are some throw away songs on there, that's fair. I know your love for CD, this song is good, not exceptional. The beginning is weird at best (which doesn't match the rest) Then slowly moves into hard rock. Some really good angry vocals on there too! The drums are way out of Brian's league. Josh clearly is better. Everything from the solo on is fantastic! As an original AFD purist I consider it sacrilegious to compare the 2 bands. It's different beast entirely. Having only 1 original member does not a band make.

The quality of the song has absolutely nothing to do with who is or isn't "a band". And you're seriously going to tell me that Anything Goes or Shotgun Blues are better songs than this? Nah. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, he said Axl hadn't done any vocals yet. He probably did have lyrics by then, though. It seems, according to the Beavan interview, that Axl started recording vocals shortly after Robin Finck left.

2 hours ago, Shacklermyrye said:

I saw that too, but I think its BS

This was in 1999 the first time Robin left. He said Axl didnt have many songs done and most were just song ideas without lyrics.

We know in 99 Axl had a handful of songs wiht lyrics becasue he played them for RS.    But yeah Axl started putting more lyrics on stuff in 2000 which is why we probably have all of those locker room CDs. That is probably the first set of vocals Axl put down for most of those songs, and hard school is one of those songs.   It also makes sense why axl sounds similar on Atlas, Hard School and CITR. 

1 minute ago, gnfnr2k said:

This was in 1999 the first time Robin left. He said Axl didnt have many songs done and most were just song ideas without lyrics.

We know in 99 Axl had a handful of songs wiht lyrics becasue he played them for RS.    But yeah Axl started putting more lyrics on stuff in 2000 which is why we probably have all of those locker room CDs. That is probably the first set of vocals Axl put down for most of those songs, and hard school is one of those songs.   It also makes sense why axl sounds similar on Atlas, Hard School and CITR. 

I was referring to somebody off reddit claiming 7 had leaked.

27 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Another thing I keep laughing at is people calling the song a mess. It's a verse / chorus / verse rock song.... What else do you want?? Lol.

I certainly don't think it's a mess, but just returning from a trip and only hearing it for the 3rd full listen as I type, it seems to be allover the place, like it's 3 or 4 songs in one.

I can't see why people would call it a "mess" prezactly, or why they would dislike it in general...  The very beginning is very much like "Going Down"  The ending is very Illusion era.  It strikes me as a "Frakenstein" of songs, but I like all the parts of this monster!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I cannot imagine on what planet some people think it's fake. To each their own, I guess. 

The quality of the song has absolutely nothing to do with who is or isn't "a band". And you're seriously going to tell me that Anything Goes or Shotgun Blues are better songs than this? Nah. 

I did say UYI had exceptions. That can be considered of them. What's wrong with AG? I like it a lot. AG sucked in it many demo forms but not on AFD. That's like saying who is better Motley Crue or GN'R? It's 2 different bands. I treat them as such. It only seems fair

Just now, 31illusions said:

I did say UYI had exceptions. That can be considered of them. What's wrong with AG? I like it a lot. AG sucked in it many demo forms but not on AFD. 

I'm saying I like this song a hell of a lot more than Anything Goes. That's all. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm saying I like this song a hell of a lot more than Anything Goes. That's all. 

AG is a good rocker on AFD. I think a much more fair comparison is comparing this song to one of the rockers on CD. 

As I said in my earlier post, I'm shocked that this was not on CD. 

Edited by Draguns
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, Draguns said:

AG is a good rocker on AFD. I think a much more fair comparison is coming this song to one of the rockers on CD. 

As I said in my earlier post, I'm shocked that this was not on CD. 

Hard School and Anything Goes are both GNR songs, so it seems fair to compare them regardless of what album they come from. Just my opinion of course. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gnfnr2k said:

Yeah, Finck left in August '99. I believe Axl started recorded vocals after that, in the last months of '99, hence he played some songs with vocals for RS (the interview was done around November).

45 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

They should release this as the new single it would be so fucking good Fortus and Slash doing harmonies, Duff and Frank locked in, Melissa with  keyboard intro and Dizzy doing the piano and Axl screaming his ass off..

This song is perfect for the current lineup

Im sure slash would be thinking about the lyrics and wondering " are the lyrics about me".

Im doubtful with franks drumming abililty on this track.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Out of curiosity, I searched into a body of newspapers for examples of use of "hard-school" in context other than the literal one (i.e. about school) or the obvious figurative one as in "learning in the hard school of life." 

There aren't many examples. It's been mostly used in sports, meaning (I guess) something like hardcore old-school/old-fashioned :

hardsc10.jpg

hardsc11.jpg

hardsc12.jpg

And other contexts where it seems to mean just "hardcore":

hardsc13.jpg

hardsc14.jpg

-------------------------------

Really unusual choice of word(s) by Axl.

Wow, nice work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've listened a few times now.  The very beginning of the song reminds me of the Catcher intro.  It's a cool song, as many have said its a straightforward rocker.  I firmly believe that if this song was included on CD it would have garnered the same reaction as Chinese Democracy the song got when it was released: "we waited 15 years for this?".  That's not to say it's a bad song, but I don't think this is Axl at his most creative which is what everyone was expecting with CD.  There are also things Axl might have done with the song to enhance it even more, who knows :shrugs:.  Either way it's incredible that we are lucky enough to hear it.  Thanks to whoever leaked it.  

But let's talk about the best part of this thread and it isn't the song itself....  @RussTCB telling people they'll be suspended for 7 days for asking for a link to the song and then there were people who actually thought it was a great idea to ASK @RussTCB for a link.  Friggin hilarious 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WAR™ said:

Yeah but there is already a buckethead solo at the end... 

I didnt think bucket had joined at this stage. Still the solos arent the best in my opinion.

Wasnt this track kicking around late 90s for the rush hour soundtrack. 

Edited by vloors

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Out of curiosity, I searched into a body of newspapers for examples of use of "hard-school" in context other than the literal one (i.e. about school) or the obvious figurative one as in "learning in the hard school of life." 

There aren't many examples. It's been mostly used in sports, meaning (I guess) something like hardcore old-school/old-fashioned :

hardsc10.jpg

hardsc11.jpg

hardsc12.jpg

And other contexts where it seems to mean just "hardcore":

hardsc13.jpg

hardsc14.jpg

-------------------------------

Really unusual choice of word(s) by Axl.

Interesting thanks for sharing

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, there is no dana only zool said:

Might get a tomato or something thrown at me for this but a bunch of the guitar soloing reminds me of No Prayer/Fear of the Dark era Maiden guitar work. 

I prefer the maiden stuff over the solos here lol

The general riff is nice though just not the solos

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I concur - partially because I love Hard School, and partially because I think the Hollywood Rose and demo versions of Anything Goes are superior to the AFD version.

Really makes me think about how much more of an impact CD would've had if it had been released between 2000 and 2002 with Hard School, Atlas, and The General. What could've been...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WAR41 said:

But let's talk about the best part of this thread and it isn't the song itself....  @RussTCB telling people they'll be suspended for 7 days for asking for a link to the song and then there were people who actually thought it was a great idea to ASK @RussTCB for a link.  Friggin hilarious 

It happened not once, but twice today. All I could think was "Seriously??" 

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 3