GNRfanMILO

Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

8 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

This title sucks. Jackie Chan too, it doesn’t even make sense. I wish it was named Checkmate and released.

Checkmate would be better and be a clearer statement for what the song seems to be about (to me Slash, but maybe other band members). Hard School has a certain ring to it though imho. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

Checkmate would be better and be a clearer statement for what the song seems to be about (to me Slash, but maybe other band members). Hard School has a certain ring to it though imho. 

If hardschool isn't used in the English speaking parts of the world, that makes it a great title for me. I always love Axlisms.

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I didn't know that, thanks. Had those songs been released in the past before the album?

Black Swan was a rare bonus track on United Abominations
Millennium of the Blind & New World Order were written during the Countdown to Extinction eras, and demos for both were released on the remaster of Youthanasia; NWO also appeared on the Duke Nukem soundtrack
Sudden Death was released as a single the year prior, but the band re-recorded it for the following album.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I think there is "a storm we lived in", not "a storm is lived in". But I may be wrong. 

I think it's "a storm is lifting"

12 minutes ago, Lio said:

If hardschool isn't used in the English speaking parts of the world, that makes it a great title for me. I always love Axlisms.

Apparently it has a regional use in parts of the States, especially in sporting. @Blackstar turned up some examples.

Im just guessing here, but in US pro Football (NFL) when they give someones bio if the player doesn't have a full degree from some college they get listed as being from the "school of hard knocks" in place of an alma mater. Which means like, they've had a less privileged life/shit happened. So just a guess that hard school might be a shorthand for school of hard knocks? I could be wrong though. So far as I understand where I live the equivalent for Axls usage of the phrase would be "Hard core" or "old school" 

Edited by soon

18 minutes ago, Lio said:

If it is a "school of hard knocks", then I can confirm we use it in the Czech Republic too, but the translation would go literally a "school of life".

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think it's "a storm is lifting"

Sounds even more plausible. 

2 minutes ago, soon said:

Apparently it has a regional use in parts of the States, especially in sporting. @Blackstar turned up some examples.

Im just guessing here, but in US pro Football (NFL) when they give someones bio if the player doesn't have a full degree from some college they get listed as being "school of hard knocks" in place of an alma mater. Which means like, they've had a less privileged life/shit happened. So just a guess that hard school might be a shorthand for that. I could be wrong though. So far as I understand where I live the equivalent would be "Hard core" or "old school" 

My understanding from the examples I posted is that, at least in the context of sports, it means a combination of both, as in playing football/baseball/etc. in the old-school and tough way. 

I think Axl used it meaning that Slash/whoever the lyrics are about played it old-school and tough.  

11 hours ago, charliehoodger said:

Hardschool has, of course, too much going on to make it an awesome song. The "axl" parts are cool and that's what made the 22 seconds amazing. The rest if the song doesnt live up to that weirdly. 

Disagree totally. I love the intro and dueling solo breakdown bit. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, soon said:

Im just guessing here, but in US pro Football (NFL) when they give someones bio if the player doesn't have a full degree from some college they get listed as being from the "school of hard knocks" in place of an alma mater. Which means like, they've had a less privileged life/shit happened. So just a guess that hard school might be a shorthand for school of hard knocks? I could be wrong though.

9 minutes ago, jamillos said:

If it is a "school of hard knocks", then I can confirm we use it in the Czech Republic too, but the translation would go literally a "school of life".

In this example (not related to sports) it seems it has the meaning of "school of hard knocks" as in hard school of life:

hardsc15.jpg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

In this example (not related to sports) it seems it has the meaning of "school of hard knocks" as in hard school of life:

hardsc15.jpg

Very cool!

Just to expand on the NFL usage, for what its worth, if anything. Its very much like the article here, coming from difficult circumstances and having the grit to pursue dreams, as the article writes "the amazing things he did."

I think that in the NFL context "School of Hard Knocks" has an aspect of both "hard core" and "old school." Given that the NFL has a lot of black players, its like "this dude is so tough that he didnt need to get into a yuppie college to be trained by some upper middle class (likely white) coach. He made it into the NFL the old school way (before black americans had 'widespread' access to white colleges) with pure grit and hustle. And even with the racial element removed for poor white players there is still a sense of awe that someone didnt need to play 4 years of college football to make the NFL - "they must be a beast!" But that doesnt limit the term School of Hard Knocks to a tough and successful person, it just means that those coming from the school of hard knocks and succeeding are extra impressive and tough.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Back in the day it (the 16-sec leak) was called "No Love Remains" on some torrent with a few different CD leaks so that's why I'll always think of it as.

After a few days of listening to it my conclusion is that even if it sounds unfinished and is not mixed properly, it's a true Chinese tune for me. Meaning it's got the album vibe and is of high quality. Like it would belong there. I didn't feel this way at all about Going Down and Silkworms. Going Down felt like a Tommy solo tune b-side and Silkworms was not good enough imo.

This one feels like it's another small piece of the puzzle.

Edited by Rovim

On 8/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Sound like it is about Slash.

If its about GNR, then yes probably. But it could be about almost anything. 

3 minutes ago, Mangler said:

Checkmate has nothing to do with what the song is or isn't about. It's not a working or official title for the song. The file was named that by the original leaker back in the mid-00's. Not sure why it should be now called that!

Oh cool, I didnt know that the leaker named it that. But I think they named it well since "checkmate" is what you say in chess when a move someone else made has set them up for failure. But I no longer vote for that name if it bothers you :) 

• GNFNR 1

The chorus is cool but that's about it. He sounds pretty bad on the verses too (like it was recorded in the early 2000' which is surely the case and probably what new recordings will sound like too)

I can see why it never got finished and put on the album.

Edited by Stiff Competition

3 hours ago, soon said:

I tried casually using the phrase “hard school” in conversation and the other person looked at me like I had two heads :lol:

It’s a perfectly cromulent term.

For their ignorance you should have dusted off a phrase everyone understands...

Get in the ring.

• Haha 1

So about the lyrics...

Too hard school and you thought you were here to stay
If that were true it wouldn't matter anyway

So the guy thought he was there to stay. If that was true, that he was there to stay, it wouldn't matter anyway. He would still do things his way and thus "it" wouldn't work... errr what?

Supposing this song is in fact about Slash ... I guess the idea would be that Slash thought there was no Guns n' Roses without him - I'm sure he would have also said the same about Axl, but still - and since he was "here to stay" he didn't need to change his behaviour or evolve musically.

And if GNR would be nothing without Slash, Axl expressing his concerns wouldn't matter anyway since Slash could just go on being "hard school" and refusing to change and allow the band to move forward. Meaning that either they would continue to spin their wheels and go nowhere, or that he (Axl) himself would have to leave. 

On 25/08/2019 at 4:52 AM, dadud said:

some user DM'd me with a link to the forums this was posted on before it went widespread and i anounced it was out on discord, i cant believe nobody noticed this for an hour. quick, everyone go check dead/quiet gnr forums for other songs. this one came from gnrevo from a user who created an account just to post the link.

Someone suggested the leak came from gnr camp to drum up publicity.  do we know who leaked?

46 minutes ago, Ant said:

It’s a perfectly cromulent term.

For their ignorance you should have dusted off a phrase everyone understands...

Get in the ring.

"cromulent" :lol::lol: :headbang:

32 minutes ago, weaponsnflowers said:

So about the lyrics...

Too hard school and you thought you were here to stay
If that were true it wouldn't matter anyway

So the guy thought he was there to stay. If that was true, that he was there to stay, it wouldn't matter anyway. He would still do things his way and thus "it" wouldn't work... errr what?

See this is why Rock the Rock is the superior song.

Who wants to parse all this backhanded Kardashian sniping...

We're a sonic demolition teaaaaam!!!

I think people tend to over-analyze lyrics; in the case of Axl, his words could be coming from a lot of different directions - past band members, management, former feuds, past relationships. Songwriters often tend to write from the perspective of "characters" as well. 

Who knows? On the surface it seems like a lot of songs could be interpreted as being about Slash. 

5 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Someone suggested the leak came from gnr camp to drum up publicity.  do we know who leaked?

If they wanted to do that they could just release a totally new song and it would reach further than GNR message boards.

But then again this is GNR - Doing stuff logically is a strange concept for them.

• Like 1