Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

3 minutes ago, Mangler said:

Checkmate has nothing to do with what the song is or isn't about. It's not a working or official title for the song. The file was named that by the original leaker back in the mid-00's. Not sure why it should be now called that!

Oh cool, I didnt know that the leaker named it that. But I think they named it well since "checkmate" is what you say in chess when a move someone else made has set them up for failure. But I no longer vote for that name if it bothers you :) 

• GNFNR 1

The chorus is cool but that's about it. He sounds pretty bad on the verses too (like it was recorded in the early 2000' which is surely the case and probably what new recordings will sound like too)

I can see why it never got finished and put on the album.

Edited by Stiff Competition

3 hours ago, soon said:

I tried casually using the phrase “hard school” in conversation and the other person looked at me like I had two heads :lol:

It’s a perfectly cromulent term.

For their ignorance you should have dusted off a phrase everyone understands...

Get in the ring.

• Haha 1

Supposing this song is in fact about Slash ... I guess the idea would be that Slash thought there was no Guns n' Roses without him - I'm sure he would have also said the same about Axl, but still - and since he was "here to stay" he didn't need to change his behaviour or evolve musically.

And if GNR would be nothing without Slash, Axl expressing his concerns wouldn't matter anyway since Slash could just go on being "hard school" and refusing to change and allow the band to move forward. Meaning that either they would continue to spin their wheels and go nowhere, or that he (Axl) himself would have to leave. 

On 25/08/2019 at 4:52 AM, dadud said:

some user DM'd me with a link to the forums this was posted on before it went widespread and i anounced it was out on discord, i cant believe nobody noticed this for an hour. quick, everyone go check dead/quiet gnr forums for other songs. this one came from gnrevo from a user who created an account just to post the link.

Someone suggested the leak came from gnr camp to drum up publicity.  do we know who leaked?

32 minutes ago, weaponsnflowers said:

So about the lyrics...

Too hard school and you thought you were here to stay
If that were true it wouldn't matter anyway

So the guy thought he was there to stay. If that was true, that he was there to stay, it wouldn't matter anyway. He would still do things his way and thus "it" wouldn't work... errr what?

See this is why Rock the Rock is the superior song.

Who wants to parse all this backhanded Kardashian sniping...

We're a sonic demolition teaaaaam!!!

I think people tend to over-analyze lyrics; in the case of Axl, his words could be coming from a lot of different directions - past band members, management, former feuds, past relationships. Songwriters often tend to write from the perspective of "characters" as well. 

Who knows? On the surface it seems like a lot of songs could be interpreted as being about Slash. 

5 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Someone suggested the leak came from gnr camp to drum up publicity.  do we know who leaked?

If they wanted to do that they could just release a totally new song and it would reach further than GNR message boards.

But then again this is GNR - Doing stuff logically is a strange concept for them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Right, they leak a 20 year old demo of Axl with some random people, to drum up publicity for the current tour featuring Duff and Slash. :facepalm: Seriously?? You believe that?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wrolk said:

This song should been on chinese i think... this song is better than 5 songs on chinese 

Which maybe lends credence that they really thought about holding back songs for future albums? At the end of the day it would be a shame if that stuff is never heard. They spent a decade in the studio 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weaponsnflowers said:

So about the lyrics...

Too hard school and you thought you were here to stay
If that were true it wouldn't matter anyway

So the guy thought he was there to stay. If that was true, that he was there to stay, it wouldn't matter anyway. He would still do things his way and thus "it" wouldn't work... errr what?

Not particularly important, but I hear "if that weren't true", not "if that were true".

3 hours ago, Mangler said:

Why would it ever be named checkmate? It was never called that by anyone in Guns N Roses. That's like me wishing it was called the Darlington Donkey Derby Shuffle and released. Not going to happen.

I know I just think that it sounds much cooler and fits the theme of the song better

46 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

A lot of shit from the recent trove of media  is going to be coming out before the new album drops. Next few months should be very interesting. Also while on the subject, this is the same batch of media that MSL got his hands on a few years ago. 

Along with Cuban Skies and Tonto? Pff.. that was a lame but very passionate effort to blackmail GNR to do something. Don't bullshit us into believe that MLS had unreleashed tracks.

17 hours ago, Mangler said:

You should work on your self-esteem a little if playing a song for some friends invokes such a terrible reaction for you. Really, who gives fuck what's "cool?"?

You should work on expanding your taste in music a little. The music industry doesn't give a fuck about GN'R. One CD in 25 years doesn't evoke excitement in anyone. Get a grip on yourself. Touring on 30 year old albums is the only thing GN'R has going for them.

51 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

Along with Cuban Skies and Tonto? Pff.. that was a lame but very passionate effort to blackmail GNR to do something. Don't bullshit us into believe that MLS had unreleashed tracks.

Yes, he did have Tonto. I don’t remember if he had Cuban but I’ll check. 

53 minutes ago, Russel Nash said:

Unless I’m misreading what you are asking. Are you saying the song titles are BS?