GNRfanMILO

Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

51 minutes ago, Creed said:

The whole album breaks every rule Axl set before. He wanted a NIN type Album. And the fact is, it doesn't sound like NIN at all...He wanted to work with Brian May. He did and edited him out.

What are these rules that Axl set that he broke with CD? When has Axl said that he wants to do a NIN type GNR album? He liked NIN and wanted to work with Trent Reznor at one point. But when has he said that he wants to do a NIN type GNR album? CD doesn't sound like NIN because it wasn't supposed to. He wanted to work with Brian May, but since when was it some kind of a RULE that the album must include Brian May? He wanted to work with many people that aren't included on the final album. Wanting to work with somebody doesn't automatically mean that you must include them on the next album or you're breaking some kind of a rule.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Creed said:

Nah. Axl spent 14,000,000$+ on this album. The result is a concept album with no hit single. I always thought that CD will sound somehow like George Michaels 'Freeeek'. Just with electric guitars. 

GnR fans outside the US were definately not ready for CD. And the music producers for CD were also like 'WTF? Sorry, its not good enough. You can do better, Axl'. Compared to AFD and UYI, CD is crap. 

As a concept album its fine and has alot of interesting ideas for musicians. It should have been released as a solo record. an Axl Rose triple debute album. 

when they didnt release NR and Don't Cry on AFD the argumentation was plausible. Both were big guns and didnt fit on AFD. On CD we have balads like Street of Dreams and stuff like Shacklers. The whole album breaks every rule Axl set before. He wanted a NIN type Album. And the fact is, it doesn't sound like NIN at all...He wanted to work with Brian May. He did and edited him out.

The whole album is like: So what was your fucking point?

Well, the version of the album that got released included songs that maybe weren't intended to be on the same album originally. If the process was better supported by the record company or Axl would have been more confident I can see how he could have executed the plan he talked about: at least 2 albums of 2 distinct different styles.

The first one more guitar oriented and the second one more experimental. Instead we got Shackler's, Sorry, and Better with This I Love on the same album. An album that had a little bit of everything like you get a few tunes that represent each musical goal instead of a double album or a trilogy that could have probably been a much better representation of what Axl initially set out to accomplish.

I don't really see it as a concept album and it is my opinion that Twat, Better, and Catcher were the big guns that got released. The editing out of Brian May is interesting because I remember Axl said he was surprised fans that heard the Catcher leak mostly didn't like May's work on it or at least were less than excited about it. My guess is he decided to replace it with Bumble's work because of the poor reception of it online.

If that's true and that was enough for him to replace it, I imagine Ezrin's review of what Axl had at the time and the record company's opinion that it could be better was very detrimental to the whole process so it took too much time, band members came and went and in the mean time Axl kept adding more input by different people so it got diluted in a way and naturally became a different album in the end. The leaks could have also been a factor in deciding which tracks to release.

I think Axl tried to reflect the musical vision of 2 or 3 albums in one and that's problematic for many different reasons. I believe it's only a matter of time until the 1999 version of Chinese will leak and we'll get to have kinda like 2 versions of it eventually.

Edited by Rovim

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Agreed.  Who ever decided not to release the supposedly 99/2000 '2000 intentions' album, were idiots and didn't know what they were doing............Hardschool is hot and would be been perfect alongside OMG and the other '99' demos we have.

I reckon the producers axl used at the time....i put my money on bob ezrin or jimmy lovinne. Bob i beleive told axl to remix the whole album because there wasnt a radio single. Also i think axl agreed in order to satisfy Universal.

I know axl used roy thomas baker, but he was used for the complete first batch of songs axl presented to the record company with.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I reckon the producers axl used at the time....i put my money on bob ezrin or jimmy lovinne. Bob i beleive told axl to remix the whole album because there wasnt a radio single. Also i think axl agreed in order to satisfy Universal.

I think Bob Ezrin told Axl he only had 2 or 3 tunes which were good enough and that he thought Axl was capable of more and needed to go back to the drawing board, write more songs. Axl said no, that he thought the album was good enough as is and they were going to mix it but then for some reason he did exactly what Ezrin advised him to do.

Edited by Rovim

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think Bob Ezrin told Axl he only had 2 or 3 tunes which were good enough and that he thought Axl was capable of more and needed to go back to the drawing board, write more songs. Axl said no, that he thought the album was good enough as is and they were going to mix it but then for some reason he did exactly what Ezrin advised him to do.

I think your right. 

6 minutes ago, Rovim said:

The Wall is probably my favorite piece of art ever so it pains me to say this, but fuck Bob Ezrin. Dude was so wrong about the tracks, at least from what we've heard. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I know axl used roy thomas baker, but he was used for the complete first batch of songs axl presented to the record company with.

Didn't tommy say RTB had them re-record everything? There must be loads of versions of every song.

1 minute ago, Shacklermyrye said:

Didn't tommy say RTB had them re-record everything? There must be loads of versions of every song.

Yes, he did. He said RTB hated the tones. HATED IT so they had to rerecord everything. Tommy added that instead of trying different gear, amps, and a bunch of shit they could have just tweaked it through the software.

Considering axl semed to have writers block for the 94 996 sessions and with all o f these leaks everyone says the lyrics are about slash, i dont think axl had writers block at all.

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The Wall is probably my favorite piece of art ever so it pains me to say this, but fuck Bob Ezrin. Dude was so wrong about the tracks, at least from what we've heard. 

Piece of shit douchebag I named my penis after him.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I think if axl had if released cd1 in 2000 cd fans may have got the other releases, i guess what could of been.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Ezrin is weird in that regard, he’s done some amazing stuff (The Wall, Welcome To My Nightmare) but also KISS’s The Elder which is a real piece of crap :lol:

Taking Brian May’s solo off catcher was one of the worst decisions made on CD, along with any potential replacing of Bucket solos. Bucket is really what holds that album together.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

it been a long time since i posting on here but holy shit love this song and now we know the real name of this song

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

Taking Brian May’s solo off catcher was one of the worst decisions made on CD, along with any potential replacing of Bucket solos. Bucket is really what holds that album together.

Only Axl Rose would look at Brian May's solo and go, ''nah, think I'll replace it'' haha - similarly with Buckethead. 

2 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

Yeah here you are

I looked under chairs
I looked under tables
I've tried to find the key
To fifty million fables

They call me The Seeker
I've been searching low and high
I won't get to get what I'm after
Till the day I die

I asked Bobby Dylan
I asked The Beatles
I asked Timothy Leary
But they couldn't help me either

They call me The Seeker
Till the day I die

People tend to hate me
Cause I never smile
As I ransack their homes
They want to shake my hand

Investigating nowhere
Investigating miles
I'm a seeker
I'm a really desperate man

Till the day I die

I learned how to raise my voice in anger
Well, look at my face, ain't this a smile?
I'm happy when life's good
but when it's bad I cry
I've got values but I don't know how or why

I'm looking for me
You're looking for you
We're looking at each other
And we don't know what to do

They call me The Seeker
Till the day I die

And the point is?

Just now, Axeli said:

And the point is?

Idk

All cautions made
Every chance was given
No effort spared
To save what we had
All in good faith
I would not hesitate
To extend myself
And lend you my hand

But you had to play it cool, had to do it your way
Had to be a fool, had to throw it all away
Too hard school and you thought you were here to stay
If that were true it wouldn't matter anyway

As tempers fade
And lies forgiven
No cause embraced
Could break what we had
In its place
A storm is lived in
I would've thought you could be more of a man

1 minute ago, sl4yer said:

Idk

All cautions made
Every chance was given
No effort spared
To save what we had
All in good faith
I would not hesitate
To extend myself
And lend you my hand

As tempers fade
And lies forgiven
No cause embraced
Could break what we had
In its place
A storm is lived in

Thanks! 

Wait so are people actually debating whether this is about Slash or not because my god what a strange coincidence it would be if it weren’t.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Only Axl Rose would look at Brian May's solo and go, ''nah, think I'll replace it'' haha - similarly with Buckethead. 

Yes, it's hard to believe he did that. Those were crimes against guitar but on some level you know what? I respect him even more for that.

cause it means he doesn't care enough about who you are or how good you are if it doesn't tick all the boxes. He didn't want to use Robin's work cause he left the band so he got Brian May to come to the studio and help only to not actually use him but getting in there and compose it for him lol. The balls it takes to splice together a solo with your engineer cause you're not satisfied with what the guitar player came up with. That's being objective isn't it? and open to using whatever tools you can to get the job done.

It's a similar situation to Rocket Queen when you think about it.

Edited by Rovim

32 minutes ago, sl4yer said:

Idk

All cautions made
Every chance was given
No effort spared
To save what we had
All in good faith
I would not hesitate
To extend myself
And lend you my hand

As tempers fade
And lies forgiven
No cause embraced
Could break what we had
In its place
A storm is lived in

I mentioned it yesterday or so - I don't think it goes "a storm is lived in". Maybe "we live in" or even better "is lifting" as someone else said. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I mentioned it yesterday or so - I don't think it goes "a storm is lived in". Maybe "we live in" or even better "is lifting" as someone else said. 

Yeah, I'm thinking 'is lifting' too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Axl in 1993: I wanna work with Brian May for the next GnR album. Queen is my favourite band.

Axl in 2008: 'Call Slash and tell him that he has to call Brian May to tell him he's fiiiiiiiiiiired!'

Responding to a fan who had suggested his part had been dropped on Brianmay.com, the guitarist said: “Well, it is a shame. I did put quite a lot of work in, and was proud of it.”

Edited by Creed