Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

I have to say that it's interesting that this song got leaked after 18 years. Could it be that they let the leak occur on purpose to get a reaction? Maybe this is the song they are planning on releasing as reworked by Slash and Duff. Like I said before, this is the most old school sounding GNR from CD era. I do think I.R.S. does sound slightly as old school GNR as well.  Just a thought to it. 

I agree with this thinking. Of all the recent leaks, even if not intentional, Hard School sounds most like the one Slash would’ve recorded overdubs to when it was reported he stopped by Axls over that one weekend.

2 minutes ago, Mfegz said:

Wheres the riffs??? 

Chinese songs definitely arent riff based for the most part. Although there are a few cool riffs on the album. They shouldnt shoe horn main riffs to them if they don't work imo but id love a few new, slash riff based songs too on a new album

• Like 1

I think my biggest problem with Hard School is the mix. It’s an aggressive song, but it lacks a lot of the punch of the other songs in the same batch of leaks. Bringing up the guitars would make a huge difference even since it’s very much a guitar-driven song. It sounds very...tame compared to either of the CD leaks, or even the Riad leak in comparison. There’s a great song in there, but it definitely needs some tweaking. 

It's not necessarily the mix, which sounds alright. Not definitive, but alright. I think whoever leaked this (apparently Rick) fucked up with the original quality so we don't have the "real" thing, it sounds muddy. I'm pretty sure a better version is out there.

5 minutes ago, D.. said:

It's not necessarily the mix, which sounds alright. Not definitive, but alright. I think whoever leaked this (apparently Rick) fucked up with the original quality so we don't have the "real" thing, it sounds muddy. I'm pretty sure a better version is out there.

I'm not quite convinced that that's true. For me, these are rough mixes so will not sound as clean as a final track.

56 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix said:

I'm not quite convinced that that's true. For me, these are rough mixes so will not sound as clean as a final track.

The mixes here are probably very close. The difference between these and a “clear” final track is mastering. That’s how everything sits in its own frequency range 

I'd be very surprised if GNR acknowledged the leaks and started performing the songs on the next leg of the NITL tour.

The song feels very frankensteined with having many different layers piled on top of each other, so I can see why it's sonically confusing.  :P

• Like 1

After years of listening to the first verse, I feel oddly satisfied knowing how the rest of the song goes now.

I'm confident this would dominate modern rock charts.

Some of the more calm parts remind me of The Smashing Pumpkins.

I started playing guitar when CD came out and I can now almost play a few of the Bucket and Bumblefoot solos. I will try to learn this song by ear

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

After years of listening to the first verse, I feel oddly satisfied knowing how the rest of the song goes now.

I started playing guitar when CD came out and I can now almost play a few of the Bucket and Bumblefoot solos. I will try to learn this song by ear

That's awesome dude. Does kind of sound like SP. Good luck learning it

• Like 1

This song with some more work in the instrumental and overall structure could easily be the best thing post of UYI. Amazing potencial in this song, I'm already loving it and with Slash putting effort to make it sound amazing ... it can be a hit. Again, my opinion is that: Going Down, Hardschool and Atlas could please way way way more the overall audience than 90% of the Chinese tracks.

• Like 1

I like the song, but its the Axl version of that friend that breaks up with their significant other or quits being friends with a mutual friend. You know at some point they will get back together or start being friends again so whenever they say something about them you just stay neutral so it isn't weird when they bury the hatchet.

It had to be somewhat tiring for the many versions of nu-gnr to go in to the studio and write these songs to hear Axl sing about an ex-band member. Its like being with someone and all they do is talk about how much they hate their ex. You just wanna say "move on!, its over!'" 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

I already did that. I wont post any links, but if you want I can send my IG post with me playing the song. Of course, I did in less than 24 hours after it leaked, and I still needed to learn a lot of the stuff in the break and in the outro, but still...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I already did that. I wont post any links, but if you want I can send my IG post with me playing the song. Of course, I did in less than 24 hours after it leaked, and I still needed to learn a lot of the stuff in the break and in the outro, but still...

Sure, please PM!

All I have access to right now is a crusty Telecaster, gotta have humbuckers to do GN'R...

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:00 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Chinese songs definitely arent riff based for the most part. Although there are a few cool riffs on the album. They shouldnt shoe horn main riffs to them if they don't work imo but id love a few new, slash riff based songs too on a new album

Yes give me all the Slash songs.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2019 at 10:01 AM, Creed said:

Nah. Axl spent 14,000,000$+ on this album. The result is a concept album with no hit single. I always thought that CD will sound somehow like George Michaels 'Freeeek'. Just with electric guitars. 

GnR fans outside the US were definately not ready for CD. And the music producers for CD were also like 'WTF? Sorry, its not good enough. You can do better, Axl'. Compared to AFD and UYI, CD is crap. 

As a concept album its fine and has alot of interesting ideas for musicians. It should have been released as a solo record. an Axl Rose triple debute album. 

when they didnt release NR and Don't Cry on AFD the argumentation was plausible. Both were big guns and didnt fit on AFD. On CD we have balads like Street of Dreams and stuff like Shacklers. The whole album breaks every rule Axl set before. He wanted a NIN type Album. And the fact is, it doesn't sound like NIN at all...He wanted to work with Brian May. He did and edited him out.

The whole album is like: So what was your fucking point?

I don't know where you're from but most of the rest of the world views the general US music taste as quite conservative, theres a lot of the world where wierder less US radio pop/rock is much more popular. So I would argue that the opposite was true.

I think that '99 version of CD could of done very well and then followed up with a more experimental 2002/3/4 release with bucket on it. Whereas we ended up with a very overdone compromise of both visions.

To me the first version of the CD band - Freese/Stinson/Tobais/Finck/Reed - made an album that sounds like the brief, a more industrial version of GnR.

• Like 1