GNRfanMILO

Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

I've done a 180 on the vocals. They're great. With a multitrack I'd raise them and turn down the guitars especially near the end but it's not like they're multilayered or messed with. Plus on 06-10 we would have had epic live versions. I fucking love this song. 

Is it me or is the main riff two octave melodies played over each other (and not actually chords).

Edited by Mendez

56 minutes ago, Blue Phoenix said:

I'm not quite convinced that that's true. For me, these are rough mixes so will not sound as clean as a final track.

The mixes here are probably very close. The difference between these and a “clear” final track is mastering. That’s how everything sits in its own frequency range 

I'd be very surprised if GNR acknowledged the leaks and started performing the songs on the next leg of the NITL tour.

The song feels very frankensteined with having many different layers piled on top of each other, so I can see why it's sonically confusing.  :P

• Like 1

After years of listening to the first verse, I feel oddly satisfied knowing how the rest of the song goes now.

I'm confident this would dominate modern rock charts.

Some of the more calm parts remind me of The Smashing Pumpkins.

I started playing guitar when CD came out and I can now almost play a few of the Bucket and Bumblefoot solos. I will try to learn this song by ear

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

After years of listening to the first verse, I feel oddly satisfied knowing how the rest of the song goes now.

I started playing guitar when CD came out and I can now almost play a few of the Bucket and Bumblefoot solos. I will try to learn this song by ear

That's awesome dude. Does kind of sound like SP. Good luck learning it

• Like 1

There’s a great song buried in here somewhere, for sure. Every time I listen back to it I wonder more and more what it would be like if Slash laid down even just one lead take onto this!

Edited by rocknroll41

This song with some more work in the instrumental and overall structure could easily be the best thing post of UYI. Amazing potencial in this song, I'm already loving it and with Slash putting effort to make it sound amazing ... it can be a hit. Again, my opinion is that: Going Down, Hardschool and Atlas could please way way way more the overall audience than 90% of the Chinese tracks.

• Like 1

I like the song, but its the Axl version of that friend that breaks up with their significant other or quits being friends with a mutual friend. You know at some point they will get back together or start being friends again so whenever they say something about them you just stay neutral so it isn't weird when they bury the hatchet.

It had to be somewhat tiring for the many versions of nu-gnr to go in to the studio and write these songs to hear Axl sing about an ex-band member. Its like being with someone and all they do is talk about how much they hate their ex. You just wanna say "move on!, its over!'" 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

I already did that. I wont post any links, but if you want I can send my IG post with me playing the song. Of course, I did in less than 24 hours after it leaked, and I still needed to learn a lot of the stuff in the break and in the outro, but still...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I already did that. I wont post any links, but if you want I can send my IG post with me playing the song. Of course, I did in less than 24 hours after it leaked, and I still needed to learn a lot of the stuff in the break and in the outro, but still...

Sure, please PM!

All I have access to right now is a crusty Telecaster, gotta have humbuckers to do GN'R...

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:00 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Chinese songs definitely arent riff based for the most part. Although there are a few cool riffs on the album. They shouldnt shoe horn main riffs to them if they don't work imo but id love a few new, slash riff based songs too on a new album

Yes give me all the Slash songs.

• Like 1

On 28/08/2019 at 10:01 AM, Creed said:

Nah. Axl spent 14,000,000$+ on this album. The result is a concept album with no hit single. I always thought that CD will sound somehow like George Michaels 'Freeeek'. Just with electric guitars. 

GnR fans outside the US were definately not ready for CD. And the music producers for CD were also like 'WTF? Sorry, its not good enough. You can do better, Axl'. Compared to AFD and UYI, CD is crap. 

As a concept album its fine and has alot of interesting ideas for musicians. It should have been released as a solo record. an Axl Rose triple debute album. 

when they didnt release NR and Don't Cry on AFD the argumentation was plausible. Both were big guns and didnt fit on AFD. On CD we have balads like Street of Dreams and stuff like Shacklers. The whole album breaks every rule Axl set before. He wanted a NIN type Album. And the fact is, it doesn't sound like NIN at all...He wanted to work with Brian May. He did and edited him out.

The whole album is like: So what was your fucking point?

I don't know where you're from but most of the rest of the world views the general US music taste as quite conservative, theres a lot of the world where wierder less US radio pop/rock is much more popular. So I would argue that the opposite was true.

I think that '99 version of CD could of done very well and then followed up with a more experimental 2002/3/4 release with bucket on it. Whereas we ended up with a very overdone compromise of both visions.

To me the first version of the CD band - Freese/Stinson/Tobais/Finck/Reed - made an album that sounds like the brief, a more industrial version of GnR.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2019 at 11:55 AM, Mfegz said:

Im sorry guys but i really don't understand the hype for this song?? 

I really liked the clip we all had for years and had high hopes for the rest of the song. 

But to me its really weak and kind of cringy/embarrassing "Hard School"?. Wtf are we like 15 or something... Its really basic and easily forgotten 😔 

To me this proves that Axl needs Slash and Duff and Izzy more than ever if we are gonna see anything remotely worthy of the gnr name. 

Wheres the riffs??? 

I think the hype you are speaking of is due to being on a gnr forum and this being a song title known for a long time so people are excited to finally hear it. 

Hard school is a strange term. What the hell is a rocket queen for that matter? 

Why don’t you just write the next song since you know where it needs to go? I mean seriously, you know the direction and what you want to hear, just write and record it?

It’s like you don’t have to eat at the restaurant. You liked  a meal there once but everything has been shit since. So you order the same thing you liked or stop eating there or make something yourself. 

Didnt Duff write a song about Facebook? Slash’s solo stuff was highly... questionable until recently. Izzy has some great solo stuff but if I’m being honest, half of it is forgettable. 

Not trying to put you down I just don’t get the complaints and it’s not you specifically, just in general people like to complain like I’m doing now about people complaining. Damn

• Like 1

Damn, I'm SO happy to finally hear this. The little clip of the "all cautions made" section had me curious for YEARS and I always thought it was probably part of a really good song. So for it to turn out that, yeah, it actually IS a really good song...it feels pretty satisfying after all these years.

• Like 3

On 08/09/2019 at 6:45 AM, Sprite said:

I think the hype you are speaking of is due to being on a gnr forum and this being a song title known for a long time so people are excited to finally hear it. 

Hard school is a strange term. What the hell is a rocket queen for that matter? 

Why don’t you just write the next song since you know where it needs to go? I mean seriously, you know the direction and what you want to hear, just write and record it?

It’s like you don’t have to eat at the restaurant. You liked  a meal there once but everything has been shit since. So you order the same thing you liked or stop eating there or make something yourself. 

Didnt Duff write a song about Facebook? Slash’s solo stuff was highly... questionable until recently. Izzy has some great solo stuff but if I’m being honest, half of it is forgettable. 

Not trying to put you down I just don’t get the complaints and it’s not you specifically, just in general people like to complain like I’m doing now about people complaining. Damn

Ok, get me in the studio with these guys and i will 100% come up with something far far better 👍

The song is just lame and basic 🤷‍♂️ 

Same goes for Atlas.. Which is just embarrassing 🤦‍♂️ 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Mfegz said:

Ok, get me in the studio with these guys and i will 100% come up with something far far better 👍

The song is just lame and basic 🤷‍♂️ 

Same goes for Atlas.. Which is just embarrassing 🤦‍♂️ 

Look at the Billboard  top 200 album charts if you think this stuff is lame and embarrassing. 

• Like 1

Imho there's nothing boring about Hard School.  It sounds like it would fit alongside YCBM & Estranged nicely on UYI 2.  In some ways HS sounds like a mix of those two song's vibes.  Guitar work is totally sick, especially the solo and outro and when Axl turns it up, the song evokes more YCBM and OTGM vibes

I dig this song lots.  A finished mix would likely sound cool as hell.

So Jackie Chan/Hardschool was a song that Slash and Duff were working on for the 96 Jackie Chan movie "Rumble in the Bronx" right? Or is that wrong? I remember a Duff interview on Howard Stern from 96 where he said they were working on a song for that soundtrack.