Hard School FULL LEAK Discussion **NO LINKS**7 Day Suspension For Asking For Links**

Brush this tough little nugget up and it'd be a pretty cool comeback single.

Won't light the world on fire, by any means, IMO, but, it's solid enough that with a Slash lead, it will appease what people might expect from a "new", post-reunion GnR tune.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BN38416 said:

I can't believe it took...13 years... For this full song to leak... I remember when razz (a Canadian online radio dj) posted a 9 second clip of it on message boards...we knew it was gonna be a dope song.... But wow... It took so long... Oh well . At least we got it... :):)

I'm still laughing at the "uh hum, F*CK YOU!" he does after the clip. To me it's as classic as the "Ok Nevermind" Axl did on The Blues at Rio 2001

• 5 months later...

I'm super late to the party on this one, but I only just heard this track and I absolutely love it. It's very CD, in all the right ways. I feel like Scraped or Rhiad definitely could have been bumped for a kickass, polished version of Hard School. It's promising that it seems to have been listed as an alt on past setlists, though so were many tracks, including Going Down, that we never heard live.

CDII will go down as the album that never was, but would have been amazing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stonegunner said:

CDII will go down as the album that never was, but would have been amazing.

I love Chinese Democracy and I agree with you that a follow-up will go down as one of the great what-ifs in GNR-lore. Especially if many of the more recent leaks had made it onto CDII. "Hard School" is basically the perfect track 1. 

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 6:06 AM, Rovim said:

I don't really see it as a concept album and it is my opinion that Twat, Better, and Catcher were the big guns that got released. The editing out of Brian May is interesting because I remember Axl said he was surprised fans that heard the Catcher leak mostly didn't like May's work on it or at least were less than excited about it. My guess is he decided to replace it with Bumble's work because of the poor reception of it online.

If that's true, and I don't remember him saying that, it's total nonsense. I don't remember reading a single complaint about May's guitar parts and I was around from the second it leaked.

17 hours ago, SOH said:

If that's true, and I don't remember him saying that, it's total nonsense. I don't remember reading a single complaint about May's guitar parts and I was around from the second it leaked.

If i remember correctly, it was May himself who said,  that axl didn't like his parts, or anything similar like that...

19 hours ago, SOH said:

1 hour ago, ZODIAC said:

If i remember correctly, it was May himself who said,  that axl didn't like his parts, or anything similar like that...

In the Axl chats, Axl said Brian May wasn't happy with how his parts turned out. He didn't recognize himself or sth like that. If that is what you are refering to, it's in  one of the Axl chats.

There's a few reasons and none of them all that big and definitely not in spite or to slight anyone. 1st off obviously I knew people liked the song but the Brian appreciation really only showed up in force publicly after we had moved on in Guns. In fact Not many seemed to care and most comments were aimed at why Slash in their opinions should be here. Brians solo itself is a personal fave of mine and I really couldn't understand as he's such a rock legend why it wasn't openly appreciated more at the time. In actuality all that feel and emotion referred to now had a lot to do with Sean and I and the parts I chose out of Brian's different runs, versions, practice runs etc to make sure we had those elements in one version. It's entirely constructed from edits based around one specific note Brian hit in a throw away take. And though Brian seems to have warmed a bit to it at least publicly he was unfortunately none too pleased at the time with our handiwork. I remember looking at Brian standing to my left and him staring at the big studio speakers a bit aghast saying "But that's not what I played." Sean Beavan and I were not in any way triyng to mess with Brian we just did what we do and then try and do our best to stand up for our decisions

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2020 at 8:32 PM, Jw224 said:

Guitar solos are often cut from different takes and Brian May often does this himself also, so it's a bit of weird complaint for him to make. He obviously changed his mind as he later said he really liked how it turned out. 

Maybe it took him time to distance himself of the particular piece to appreciate what he did himself. I know this happens to me sometimes.

Still, if Axl liked it so much, why did he replaced it? He left untouched Robin's lead in this same song in both times Robin left the band. 

And with all this talk about comping the solo, why did he left Bumble's outro solo with an obvious editing mistake (a sudden dry cut of the solo)? 

On 28/02/2020 at 3:12 PM, Voodoochild said:

Maybe it took him time to distance himself of the particular piece to appreciate what he did himself. I know this happens to me sometimes.

Still, if Axl liked it so much, why did he replaced it? He left untouched Robin's lead in this same song in both times Robin left the band. 

And with all this talk about comping the solo, why did he left Bumble's outro solo with an obvious editing mistake (a sudden dry cut of the solo)? 

Which bit are you referring to specifically? Never noticed an editing mistake on the final Catcher. Funny though finally having the good-quality Brian May version has made the final album version completely unlistenable for me.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:32 PM, Jw224 said:

Guitar solos are often cut from different takes and Brian May often does this himself also, so it's a bit of weird complaint for him to make. He obviously changed his mind as he later said he really liked how it turned out. 

As a guitar player, I know that if I was to have a solo comped from various takes and copy/pasted together I at least would want to have a part in the creative decision since it was my playing lol.  So I wouldn't doubt that May was maybe initially a bit taken aback by the fact that what he heard was a big deviation from anything he did as a whole

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 12:48 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Only Rose would look at Brian May's guitar solos and think, ''what this guitar solo needs is a load of copying and pasting''!!

That's what everybody in the industry does lol. 

7 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

As a guitar player, I know that if I was to have a solo comped from various takes and copy/pasted together I at least would want to have a part in the creative decision since it was my playing lol.  So I wouldn't doubt that May was maybe initially a bit taken aback by the fact that what he heard was a big deviation from anything he did as a whole

Also if the guitar solo was taken out it could have been to for contractual reasons as well