Atlas Shrugged, 1 Minute Clip **NO LINKS** 7 Day Suspsenion For Asking For Links**

3 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Sounds like a classic Axl Ballard and should of replaced Shacklers or Scrapped or both depending in disc space.

How they got on there along with Rhiad fuck only knows.

Because CD was already ballad-heavy as it was. The album needed some uptempos. 

Besides, Shacklers is awesome and one of the best tracks on CD.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1

Atlas Shrugged lyrics (as close as I can get them so far)

Oh, why should I try and judge the things they say that just won't budge I let it go

Oh, and you say you don't mind so you manage to be to kind but still enough to show me how to keep it together

When I try and name no matter who's to blame there's still a ways to go

So if you ask me to believe your heart won't go alone it's got a mind of its own

Well it sits wrong and the road is long and you're the one whose shoulders just ain't wide enough

Whose shoulders shrug when they've had enough, oh

I'd be the last to say don't follow your heart ***

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

If it really is true that all of this music was going to be released, “and then the reunion happened”, then Axl sold out his life’s work (20 years of it anyway) and musical legacy to playing with slash and duff again for a partial reunion and the money it came with. For shame.

Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself
To live with fortune and shame? 

On the other hand, maybe Axl saw the reunion as the key to finally releasing these songs and them actually being listened to by the general public. Hard School to me is a track that would be so much better with Slash on it, maybe he felt the same about some other songs as well. Even back in 2001 he told Marc Canter that there were three tracks he wanted Slash to play on. Seems with Atlas Shrugged he had Brian May do a solo, then Bumblefoot, and now maybe Slash?

I've also wondered whether Brian May's solos on songs like Catcher and Atlas replaced Finck solos that Axl was not completely satisfied with?

"Robin's departure was abrupt, sudden, you know, not expected [...] but at the same time, it's turned out to be a good thing. We've been able to push some of the guitar parts a step farther, that had he been here, it's not something that would have been considered, and I wouldn't have been rude enough to attempt to do that. [...] Robin's guitar will stay on some [of the re-recorded AFD tracks], but not all." (Axl, MTV, 11/08/99)

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=3410

"Axl was feeling he that was in a difficult place, because the guitarist he'd been working with on this new album, [...] that'd done most of the tracks, had departed and Axl had a real emotional attachment to what he'd done, and yet [...] he didn't really want him to stay on the album because he'd disappeared, you know." (Brian May, Radio One Rock Show, 05/10/00

1 minute ago, sparka said:

Is this just the poor quality phone recording or has something studio quality surfaced?

I heard it was a phone recording; however, it's 2019. Any phone recording should at least be audible quality unless the recording itself is old.

8 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Nice job! Amazing lyrics, in my opinion. If it really is true that all of this music was going to be released, “and then the reunion happened”, then Axl sold out his life’s work (20 years of it anyway) and musical legacy to playing with slash and duff again for a partial reunion and the money it came with. For shame. If it’s really true that the reunion stopped 2 albums worth of music from being released, then the reunion was the worst thing to happen. As a fan, if I got to choose between 2 albums, or seeing Axl, slash, and duff (sans Izzy), playing the same tired setlist for 3 years, I’d choose new music.

Dude, GNR was done by 2014. When I saw that the Izod Center was half full in 2011, that was a big time warning. The NJ/NYC area loves GNR. For them to play the Izod, which the Izod Center was on its last legs about to be mothballed at that time, you knew interest was gone. 

The reunion saved GNR and brought it back to life.  That's without a doubt!! 

4 hours ago, wasteofammo said:

The half ass reunion sucks.  Axl was way better and entertaining during his fuck the world era. That Axl would have never considered a reunion. He now must be on happy meds. 

I enjoyed the reunion shows I saw, but it doesn't seem organic. I get the "business" aspect of things, which I'm sure led to the reunion in the first place. I'm sure these guys made more in the NITL tour than they did in the previous ten years of their lives.

There was a genuine excitement to the era before that. The element of the unknown, the leaks, the waiting game, all of that stuff just seemed fun in comparison to the cookie cutter, forced "reunion." To each their own, I guess. I had better times with the Bumble/Bucket and Finck lineup than I did with this one.

I for one had no interest in Appetite remasters or box sets. However, if you released a box set of unreleased material between TSI and Chinese, I'd throw down cash on that. 

• Like 2

Atlas sounds alright, but it sounds like a typical Axl ballad - to which there are far too many on Chinese as it stands.

Bigger, grandiose doesn't do it for me. Honestly, some of the songs that made the cut were better when they were less overblown and "epic." I liked chinese democracy better when it was a three minute rocker without effects. I liked Street of Dreams better when it was "the blues" and stripped down. Same thing with TWAT; without all the effects to it. 

I want a rock record, not Axl trying to pile on layers to make the next Bohemian Rhapsody, or whatever the hell he was trying to do. 

The songwriting is strong, but sometimes simple is better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wasteofammo said:

The half ass reunion sucks.  Axl was way better and entertaining during his fuck the world era. That Axl would have never considered a reunion. He now must be on happy meds. 

According to Merck, Axl was open about a reunion under certain circumstances. Which confirms what Axl said in China Exchange, that it was always a possibility.

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

According to Merck, Axl was open about a reunion under certain circumstances. Which confirms what Axl said in China Exchange, that it was always a possibility.

I think financial circumstances always made it possible for any of the guys. Let's be real; this is our hobby. Music, the band's history, origin, and all that fun stuff. This is Axl Rose's, Slash's and everyone else's job. The minute they were signed to a massive record deal and became worldwide superstars, this became a job to them. 

It's money. It's always been money. I refuse to ever think otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, bdinan said:

I think financial circumstances always made it possible for any of the guys. Let's be real; this is our hobby. Music, the band's history, origin, and all that fun stuff. This is Axl Rose's, Slash's and everyone else's job. The minute they were signed to a massive record deal and became worldwide superstars, this became a job to them. 

It's money. It's always been money. I refuse to ever think otherwise. 

Sure it' a job for them, the source of their income, and pop/rock music in general is a commodity.

But I don't think for musicians, or for anyone that does something creative it's a job, in the way, for example, being an accountant is.

Anyway, from what Merck said Axl's motivation for a reunion wasn't money. 

Edited by Blackstar

10 hours ago, Blackstar said:

And yet "not in this lifetime" etc so who knows. 

The Atlas clip does nothing for me but then had we just had a minute of Twat verses and chorus I wouldn't have been keen and yet it's my favourite song ever. If you're gonna have epic highs and solos you need some valleys to build to them. 

Can't believe it's 2019 and we're still playing these games like with the 2003 Mike Piazzo (sp) terrible quality IRS leak. At this point the only thing you can point to as to why one album in a quarter of a century is Axl. 

13 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Sure it' a job for them, the source of their income, and pop/rock music in general is a commodity.

But I don't think for musicians, or for anyone that does something creative it's a job, in the way, for example, being an accountant is.

Anyway, from what Merck said Axl's motivation for a reunion wasn't money. 

I believe Merck about as far as I can throw him, and I'm pretty sure I can throw him pretty far.