Why The Ashba Hate?

On 27/08/2019 at 7:32 PM, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

So, his playing is the issue. The playing I’ve witnessed with Asbha between 2010 & 12 seemed to row back from Finck’s use of dissonant sounds. As I said I prefer Finck’s novel take on Slash’s signature blues sound. In that sense the writing was on the wall once Finck left for a reunion to occur. No one though seems to acknowledge Axl’s patronage of Ashba, any thoughts?

Even the smartest people get it wrong sometimes.

Look he was from Indiana and Axl seems to just have a soft spot for any guitar player from there. The guy is also easy to get along with and a professional in doing so.

What I didn't add in my last comment was that, he was just using gnr as a vehicle to promote himself. All the members who joined gnr were obviously there because it was a good paycheck and for promotion of their other work but the rest of them didn't rub it in your face half as much!

I personally couldn't care less about what he wore on stage though, it was all about the playing and still is. I don't particularly rate the Slash that is back in gnr right now for example! Hopefully he'll be more fired up after he gets to write some new music with gnr.

As you can see it's one rule for all, everyone can get a lashing!

I think the guy semeed more like a comedic relief, so many "wtf" moments, like the first attempts at TIL on 2009, that out of tune SCOM, patience...

It was difficult to take him seriously when he was surrounded by a lot of skilled musicians and he was more into the "Ashbaswag"; (Btw, some ashbaswag guitars looked amazing back in 09).

I'm gonna give him this: He had some moments with the slow solos, I liked what he did with the This I love solo when he finally played it right, same with Don't cry, and I do like Ballad of Death as a song.
But we're talking about GNR without Slash, the guitar spot needs to be perfect or you'll have people asking for him, and they'd be right.

Buckethead could do his own thing because the guy is a fucking beast and he can play fast, slow, emotional, aggressive, pretty much everything. Finck was also very criticized on the early days, many people start respecting him when they hear This I Love.

Maybe if we've got CDII with some Ashba playing, there'd be a better opinion about the guy.

• 2 weeks later...