2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Didn’t Brain say tho that he and his friend came up with the title The General as soon as they wrote the music which Axl later added lyrics too? Maybe Axl changed it to Devious Bastard and then realized it was a stupid name and changed it back to The General.

Who knows but in that interview above it's pretty clear that at that time The General or whatever it may have been labelled as was supposed to be on CD not any follow up album.

seems possible its amongst those discs somewhere

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I believe when Brian confirmed it was him on Catcher he mentioned Atlas as a song he laid a solo down for. During the forum chats in 2008, Axl said he was unsure Brian would appear on the final version of the song. And now hearing the track, the end of the solo with the overlaid guitars is 100% him. The rest of the solo, I’m not so sure is Brian. 

The entire solo is definitely 100% Brian May. Fink couldn't play like that. Listen to some Queen. May playing like Slash?

5 hours ago, zombux said:

no, my question was how do we know for sure that May is playing at Perhaps (and also at Atlas)?

5 hours ago, Finck2006 said:

Atlas has his signature at the end of the solo.

It's 100% Brian May. The beginning and throughout the first half, he uses an octave pedal (which doubles his notes with a lower guitar tone). Then the lick with the stereo guitar also using an octave pedal (this time, with higher guitar tone) kicks in. And I believe the outro has also some Brian May licks complementing Axl's vocals.

4 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I believe when Brian confirmed it was him on Catcher he mentioned Atlas as a song he laid a solo down for. During the forum chats in 2008, Axl said he was unsure Brian would appear on the final version of the song. 

Indeed he did. Would be cool if May confirms again that it's his work on it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It's 100% Brian May. The beginning and throughout the first half, he uses an octave pedal (which doubles his notes with a lower guitar tone). Then the lick with the stereo guitar also using an octave pedal (this time, with higher guitar tone) kicks in. And I believe the outro has also some Brian May licks complementing Axl's vocals.

Indeed he did. Would be cool if May confirms again that it's his work on it.

I definitely hear Brian's licks at the end too 

• Like 1

On 31-8-2019 at 8:49 AM, Fried chicken said:

shit not as bad as the phil collins forum then

Oh Lord. 

On a side note. The only CD song I  really want to hear without it being re-recorded is The General. That cellphone clip was rough as hell, but Bucket's guitar work...omg!

:wow:

Edited by Gaanzer

Just gonna put his out here...I've had the chance to listen to the Atlas Shrugged and Hard School leaks several times now....and I must be missing something. I'm just not feeling either track. I don't think either song was intended to be released on an album, but more or less didn't make the cut, and was kept in "storage."  I look at it like this, if another band or artist made both songs, that's not GnR or Axl, would either garner multiple listens, or be placed on regular rotation? Just from what I heard though, I see why each was kept off the final CD album cut.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, default_ said:

Years have passed and I still dont know how people could make anything from that shitty cellphone recording lol its so fuckin unlistenable. 

I've probably listened to it enough times to dissect the bits and pieces that make it sound like it could be a Coma-tier epic placed at the start of ChiDem2, which is why I've wanted it more than anything else that could leak from the Chinese years; I don't think the modern band has anything they could add to the song, I'd want to hear it as it was originally recorded.

Atlas could easily get the Slash treatment, but Hard School has a lot of NuGNR elements that would be missing if it was re-recorded.  That outro has no less than three layers of guitars.  :lol:

2 hours ago, papashaun said:

Just gonna put his out here...I've had the chance to listen to the Atlas Shrugged and Hard School leaks several times now....and I must be missing something. I'm just not feeling either track. I don't think either song was intended to be released on an album, but more or less didn't make the cut, and was kept in "storage."  I look at it like this, if another band or artist made both songs, that's not GnR or Axl, would either garner multiple listens, or be placed on regular rotation? Just from what I heard though, I see why each was kept off the final CD album cut.

Dude, I am so with you.

I love GNR and I loved NuGNR and I used to sit in my apartment waiting for things to leak. They tended to, every couple years...

But hearing these two songs is a disappointment. They don’t rise beyond mediocre for me and I guess that makes sense, seeing as they didn’t make the one album Axl released.

I guess it puts in perspective how much I hyped this up to myself over a period of a decade. But interesting to hear.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, djtripp20 said:

The General cell phone clip is the most intriguing thing left out there for me. It sounds so friggin mean man.

Yeah it's weird that Axl was still openly teasing a second album in 2010, but then a year later his voice was gone and he started the never-ending Greatest Hits tour

The Azoff lawsuit killed his drive in 2011, and by 2014 he was ready to cash in on a reunion since he was just going through the motions anyway

I'm surprised how much I love "Hard School". I was always not too impressed by the clips that were out there, but this song is fucking killer, easily my favorite of the new leaks (which is crazy because I've been so curious about "Atlas Shrugged" forever).

Edited by BangoSkank
Grammatical mistake
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I just heard the 2 "going down" leaks. Whos on guitar and drums? I know Stinson is on vocals

besides the left channel Bumblefoot guitar, the acoustic demo was mixed in April 2001 (it's on one of those discs including Tommy and Robin Finck demos), while the right channel of the other demo is impossible to date, but it's thought to be something between like late 2000 to who knows when.

which basically means that those have most probably Brain on drums (less likely Josh Freese), and Paul Huge and Robin Finck on guitars (but doesn't seem like Buckethead was involved). of course, this is just a guess, we have zero information about those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finck2006 said:

Hate when people say I understand why it was not included.  Compare the recent leak of Twat with the one we got in 2006  and fyi Demo is

record (a song or piece of music) to demonstrate the capabilities of a musical group or performer or as preparation for a full recording.

Yep. The difference is that they already recorded the demos layers to be ready to use in the final product. In a normal band, this is really good to mantain the original intention and feeling of the performance. With GNR tho, it's kinda like they were throwing around ideas and hoping something stick and survive the editing and mixing process.

1 hour ago, zombux said:

besides the left channel Bumblefoot guitar, the acoustic demo was mixed in April 2001 (it's on one of those discs including Tommy and Robin Finck demos), while the right channel of the other demo is impossible to date, but it's thought to be something between like late 2000 to who knows when.

which basically means that those have most probably Brain on drums (less likely Josh Freese), and Paul Huge and Robin Finck on guitars (but doesn't seem like Buckethead was involved). of course, this is just a guess, we have zero information about those.

I believe the accoustic demo could be all Tommy, including guitars and drums (are they even real drums or just some programmed drum machine?).