2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

2009-2010 and 2011-2014 are almost two different era's... Dj wasn't that bad at first, and with Axl sounding as good as he did it was easier to ignore him. Fast-forward to 2011-12 and Axl seemed to have given up, Dj's stage antics and "social media personality" had become grating, Bumblefoot was in his pissed off emo phase (after dealing with a fuckin' car wreck), the shows had become stale.... but that line-up did have potential at first.

Yeah, agreed.  

I didn't mind Ashba at first and liked his Ballad of Death solo.  Axl's vocals were the best they had been (in my opinion, I know many will say 2006) since the Illusion era, and they were playing most of the new album.  Then 2011 came around and Axl's vocals got progressively worse until the end of 2014 and Ashba became insufferable.  I didn't even bother seeing them in the UCAP tour when it came to Toronto as I couldn't justify paying what they wanted for tickets to see a show that was pretty much a repeat of what I saw in 2010 and 2011. 

50 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

Those last few shows in 2014 were great. Axl seemed to be trying to make a point busting out some killer vocals, bringing back yesterday's, twat, prostitute. It felt a little bit exciting again.

Still have not heard yesterday’s live. Love love love that song. Fingers crossed it’s in the current set

1 hour ago, The Matinator said:

When the guy who was posting pics of the CDs on Reddit was doing an AMA he listed 15-16 songs with Axl vocals, but he deleted the post & now I can't find it anywhere but I'm pretty sure Zodiac, me & my Elvis & Oklahoma we're on it.

No. Quick song just has Axl humming and mumbling melodies. Me and my Elvis is bluesy but no vocals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Underhardy said:

No. Quick song just has Axl humming and mumbling melodies. Me and my Elvis is bluesy but no vocals.

Yeah, I think a lot of people think there are a lot more songs with vocals then there actually are. 

I can't keep track of all of this mess, but I believe there's not much left with vocals at this point. 

Just now, ToonGuns said:

do we know which song was supposed to have Robin's SRV esque solo on?

That's the million dollar question for me personally. I'd LOVE to hear it. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

I mean I may be wrong about what songs are listed but the dude definitely listed like 15 songs, not saying it's definite but seems to me like nothing we're hearing is definite.

Just a couple of days ago people were claiming state of Grace was just mumbling/scratch vox.

Edited by The Matinator

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Yeah, I think a lot of people think there are a lot more songs with vocals then there actually are. 

I can't keep track of all of this mess, but I believe there's not much left with vocals at this point. 

That's the million dollar question for me personally. I'd LOVE to hear it. 

Me too. Robin is criminally underrated. Would love to hear his take on SRV. I’m sure it will be odd in a very good way. 

• GNFNR 1

Was trying to find the pictures again of the 15 CD's from the locker because I always forget to save them, and I see a LOT of people spamming Eddie Trunk about the leaks; I don't get what people are expecting him to say about it that would be interesting.  :lol:

Supposedly if you read across the Internet there are far more songs than we realize that people have in complete lyrical form.  I think several more of those songs from storage have vocals because if you read the listings/pictures some of them show no vox.  But a larger chunk just have song titles and time and then some other random number and date.  I remember some interview somewhere with maybe tommy or someone who said they had an A list and B list and it was something like 60 songs.  Someone elsewhere had stated there was another disc with song “dragon” on it.  That disc is supposedly chuck full of finished songs.  I just hope we are lucky enough to keep hearing stuff like this. I also hope the band releases it (ALL FINISHED TRACKS) in pure form someday one way or another.  I’d buy it all in a heartbeat.  Never know what to believe anymore.  But seems to be some truth to all of it in some way.

Edited by UYI4

1 minute ago, UYI4 said:

Supposedly if you read across the Internet there are far more songs than we realize that people have in complete lyrical form.  I think several more of those songs from storage have vocals because if you read the listings/pictures some of them show no vox.  But a larger chunk just have song titles and time and then some other random number and date.  I remember some interview somewhere with maybe tommy or someone who said they had an A list and B list and it was something like 60 songs.  Someone elsewhere had stated there was another disc with song “dragon” on it.  That disc is supposedly chuck full of finished songs.  I just hope we are lucky enough to keep hearing stuff like this. I also hope the band releases it (ALL FINISHED TRACKS) in pure form someday one way or another.  I’d buy it all in a heartbeat.

Who knows what they had completed around 2000. Having around 20 or so songs to work through isn’t horrendous output if it’s true there’s not much else. I’m sure that number was different by 04-06 after Bucket arrived 

• Like 1

Pretty happy with this track listing. In particular I feel Atlas is a better follow-up to TWAT than Catcher, which I've always felt "clangs" on the final album:

ISy5mQE.png

Would have likely been my favourite album of 2001 had it been released, even though I wasn't really a GNR fan at the time :P

Rereading Chinese Whispers for the bajillionth time, what's interesting is that in both 2001 and 2002 Axl said that the first album would be 18 songs. If they were sticking with 74 minute CDs and just one disc for the first album, that'd be an average of just over four minutes per song. Maybe he was planning on using the epic ballads sparingly per album?

"With 18 songs, the group's next album [...] which will be released in June [...] is a collection of songs, which, in Axl's opinion, are as good as 'November Rain'. Among them 'Madagascar', included in the show on Sunday. The CD will include a tribute to John Lennon [Catcher in the Rye], and another [song] about child abuse." (O Globo, 01/16/01)

"There's been some concern. That if we play five or six new songs, then there can't that many more on the album. Au contraire, mon frère. We're just playing the songs we're not considering putting out as singles or anything. So, you'll get 18 songs, and about 10 extra tracks. And when that, when the record company feels that has run its course, then you'll get it all over again. By that time, I should be done with the third album. So we'll see if all goes well boys and girls." (Axl, Docklands, 08/26/02)

"He admitted not feeling happy with the show last night, and gave some details of the new album: he already has 36 songs practically ready (one dedicated to John Lennon, another about child abuse), and there is a possibility that the album is double , in the style of Use your illusion, one of the compacts would be named after Chinese Democracy and the other would be called PRL" (O Globo, 01/16/01)

Or maybe that O Globo interview could be interpreted as 18 tracks across 2 CDs, one called Chinese and one called PRL, but ultimately the same album?

Edited by Amir
  • GNFNR 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Matinator said:

I mean I may be wrong about what songs are listed but the dude definitely listed like 15 songs, not saying it's definite but seems to me like nothing we're hearing is definite.

Just a couple of days ago people were claiming state of Grace was just mumbling/scratch vox.

This is the list of the songs with vocals that user on reddit had posted:

• Thanks 1

Let's update the list.

Axl said 26 tracks were "nearly done" in January 2006 and we can narrow those down to these 23 songs that we know have confirmed vocals:

Atlas Shrugged (demo)

Better

Catcher in the Rye

Chinese Democracy

Going Down (demo)

Hard School (demo)

If the World

I.R.S.

Knockin' on Heaven's Door (demo)

Madagascar

Oh My God

Perhaps (demo)

Prostitute

Riad N' the Bedouins 

Scraped

Shackler's Revenge

Silkworms (demo)

Sorry

State of Grace (demo)

Street of Dreams

The General (fan recording)

There Was a Time

This I Love

So for someone who hasn't kept up over the last couple weeks... what's the thinking on the impetus for the leaks? Do people think they're from official sources to gauge fan reaction? Or did someone sitting on them just get sick of not sharing them all of a sudden?

Edited by Ant

18 minutes ago, Ant said:

So for someone who hasn't kept up over the last couple weeks... what's the thinking on the impetus for the leaks? Do people think they're from official sources to gauge fan reaction? Or did someone sitting on them just get sick of not sharing them all of a sudden?

Definitely not from official sources.  

Someone bought some CDs from eBay and all hell broke loose in the hoarding community.

• GNFNR 3

I've put together a 22 track boxset type of thing together 2 CDs worth of shit, from 9 demos no alt takes, put '99 going down on the list of demos & 01 Madagascar. The other 13 is Oh My God EOD, after that is all the leaks, then the 5 leaked remixes from Brain & Melissa with 2013 leak of Going Down. Run time is like 1 hour & 37 minutes. With alt. takes, TWAT & The Blues leak last year (which is the same take as the leak this year but different production) drums up of Atlas, it would be 27 songs.

It is remarkable that no news outlets are talking bout this. It is buzz. 

But as pointed out by Trunk, it's not his place to speak on this chaos leakings

The management is keeping a lit on it and i believe are persuing every action thats availeble for them. Even within time for the tour etc