2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

But I also don't think Axl wanted to do an industrial sounding GnR album in the mid-90s when Slash was still in the band, he only wanted that for a solo project. He explored that sound more in the early NuGnR era, but even then none of his songs really sounds like NIN, imo. State of Grace is the song closer to it, but still, if you remove the intro and the "bleeps", I think it's something that Slash could totally work on.

Indeed. This last one, Eye on You, is indeed more like an industrial song, tho. Maybe Silkworms, but that never sounded like NIN. 

Every time people hear some synth or drum machine, they immediatly label the song as industrial. But really, Riad is NOT industrial, its actually one of the most AFD-like in terms of instrumental - like the song or not. 

The heavy processed guitar and keyboards layer that do sound kinda like industrial is present in OMG, If The World chorus, Shacklers bridge, Scraped riff, and Chinese. But that's not enough to make those songs industrial, IMO.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

But I also don't think Axl wanted to do an industrial sounding GnR album in the mid-90s when Slash was still in the band, he only wanted that for a solo project. He explored that sound more in the early NuGnR era, but even then none of his songs really sounds like NIN, imo. State of Grace is the song closer to it, but still, if you remove the intro and the "bleeps", I think it's something that Slash could totally work on.

I think that Axl did want to specifically incorporate industrial rock elements in his version of Gn'R. I could be wrong but looking at it like this I think it's possible:

Axl did hire Robin as a Slash replacement and I find it interesting that Marc Canter said Axl considered Robin to be his Randy Rhodes. It does support your view on it that he wanted a certain sound to be his big post Guns album like Blizzard Of Oz but Axl said years ago how he would have loved for Trent to do anything from the Guns catalog (anything, do Estranged) and to me it seems maybe Axl thought of Gn'R as his thing.

and he did perform Silkworms live. It's not just the material itself, it's the production, hiring Sean Beavan who worked with Trent and Moby who was a techno musician among other things. Hiring Pitman. It's likely there was an interest there to change direction to something that contained modern elements and Gn'R elements from the past through the filter of industrial rock. Axl also talked about the second new Guns album and how there is a distinct difference in style between Chinese 1 and 2. The closest thing to a proof he did want to make a Guns album industrial sounding.

What if Axl decided at some point in time to tone it down and to find a different ratio between classic and industrial rock? why would he hire Robin, Beavan, Moby, and Pitman and work with them on material he released as Gn'R if his intention wasn't to inject industrial rock flavor to the next Guns album? Slash liked NIN but he would never release something like that as one of his solo albums. Axl released Shackler's which does have an industial rock feel to it which is logical cause it's a Bucket tune and he likes that stuff as well.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think that Axl did want to specifically incorporate industrial rock elements in his version of Gn'R. I could be wrong but looking at it like this I think it's possible:

Axl did hire Robin as a Slash replacement and I find it interesting that Marc Canter said Axl considered Robin to be his Randy Rhodes. It does support your view on it that he wanted a certain sound to be his big post Guns album like Blizzard Of Oz but Axl said years ago how he would have loved for Trent to do anything from the Guns catalog (anything, do Estranged) and to me it seems maybe Axl thought of Gn'R as his thing.

and he did perform Silkworms live. It's not just the material itself, it's the production, hiring Sean Beavan who worked with Trent and Moby who was a techno musician among other things. Hiring Pitman. It's likely there was an interest there to change direction to something that contained modern elements and Gn'R elements from the past through the filter of industrial rock. Axl also talked about the second new Guns album and how there is a distinct difference in style between Chinese 1 and 2. The closest thing to a proof he did want to make a Guns album industrial sounding.

What if Axl decided at some point in time to tone it down and to find a different ratio between classic and industrial rock? why would he hire Robin, Beavan, Moby, and Pitman and work with them on material he released as Gn'R if his intention wasn't to inject industrial rock flavor to the next Guns album? Slash liked NIN but he would never release something like that as one of his solo albums. Axl released Shackler's which does have an industial rock feel to it which is logical cause it's a Bucket tune and he likes that stuff as well.

I think Axl wanted to explore the electronic sound in general, not only industrial in particular. And he did that after Slash left.

I don't remember him saying the bolded part. The quote that I remember is this one:

Axl: Trent Reznor from NIN is one [musician I'd like to work with on a project], and Dave Navarro from Jane's Addiction is another guy I want to work with. I've talked to Trent about working with me on an industrial synth project, at least on one song, and I definitely want to work with Dave on something. I've always been curious what he would sound like working with Slash on something. [Hit Parader, June 1993 - but the interview was conducted in December 1992]

Trent Reznor said that Axl called him around early 1994 for a side project (not GnR) and Trent replied he would be open to do it, but he didn't hear from Axl again.

Edited by Blackstar

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Axl wanted to explore the electronic sound in general, not only industrial in particular. And he did that after Slash left.

I don't remember him saying the bolded part. The quote that I remember is this one:

Axl: Trent Reznor from NIN is one [musician I'd like to work with on a project], and Dave Navarro from Jane's Addiction is another guy I want to work with. I've talked to Trent about working with me on an industrial synth project, at least on one song, and I definitely want to work with Dave on something. I've always been curious what he would sound like working with Slash on something. [Hit Parader, June 1993 - but the interview was conducted in December 1992]

Trent Reznor said that Axl called him around early 1994 for a side project (not GnR) and Trent replied he would be open to do it, but he didn't hear from Axl again.

Interesting thanks for sharing this info.

I thought Trent didn't like Axl for some reason... I remember him dissing him at some point, can't remember where.

1 minute ago, D.. said:

I thought Trent didn't like Axl for some reason... I remember him dissing him at some point, can't remember where.

He would troll Axl frequently because of Robin. I remember there was photoshopped stuff on the NiN website poking fun at him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, D.. said:

The quote I was referring to:

--------

ENGLEHART: You did a show with Guns N' Roses at Wembley Stadium in London several years back, at Axl Rose's instigation. Do you get any feedback from him these days?

REZNOR: I heard from him right before we started this tour. That was kind of when the downfall of Guns N' Roses was just reaching bottom. He was just kind of freaked out and was talking about maybe working on some other kind of project. I said, "Let me know. I'm into at least listening to ideas." I haven't had any other contact.

ENGLEHART: He's got an interesting mind. I think there's a lot more going on in there than people give him credit for.

REZNOR: With Axl? Yeah. I feel a certain degree of compassion, just because he was thrust into something that was larger than anything else and then a lot of weight was placed on him to carry the torch. If I had to pick something that I think was wrong with how they were treated it was that no one had the balls to say "No." As in, "No, it's not a good idea to put out two double albums of mediocre material." But if you said that you got fired. I think that's inherently the problem. I think the guy is talented at what he is doing.

[Juice Magazine, July 1995]

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

The quote I was referring to:

--------

ENGLEHART: You did a show with Guns N' Roses at Wembley Stadium in London several years back, at Axl Rose's instigation. Do you get any feedback from him these days?

REZNOR: I heard from him right before we started this tour. That was kind of when the downfall of Guns N' Roses was just reaching bottom. He was just kind of freaked out and was talking about maybe working on some other kind of project. I said, "Let me know. I'm into at least listening to ideas." I haven't had any other contact.

ENGLEHART: He's got an interesting mind. I think there's a lot more going on in there than people give him credit for.

REZNOR: With Axl? Yeah. I feel a certain degree of compassion, just because he was thrust into something that was larger than anything else and then a lot of weight was placed on him to carry the torch. If I had to pick something that I think was wrong with how they were treated it was that no one had the balls to say "No." As in, "No, it's not a good idea to put out two double albums of mediocre material." But if you said that you got fired. I think that's inherently the problem. I think the guy is talented at what he is doing.

[Juice Magazine, July 1995]

Ah that's fucking honest. Thanks for this man.

I have to agree with Trent. So much garbage on UYI. It could've been a single great album with the best cuts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, D.. said:

I have to agree with Trent. So much garbage on UYI. It could've been a single great album with the best cuts.

Two albums of mediocre material? Trent Reznor has never produced a single song on the same level as Coma or Estranged or Locomotive.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, D.. said:

I don't agree about the Illusions. They may be uneven (like most double albums) but I wouldn't call anything on them garbage.

I think Trent Reznor's "ditch" quotes were when he had heard that Axl intended to remove Robin Finck's parts. He has also bashed the GnR crowds for the reception NIN had gotten when they opened for GnR in 1991.

He and Axl also shared a common love for Pet Shop Boys :) 

------

"It was kind of funny," Trent told *Rage* magazine back then [in 1991]. "Axl phoned me while I was listening to the new Pet Shop Boys album and I was trying to turn it down so he wouldn't hear. And he said, 'Hey, was that the Pet Shop Boys? I just got that! Man, I like that, but I'm too embarassed to tell anyone.' I said, 'Me, too'."

It seemed that baiting the conservative G'N'R audience was a turn on for this fledgling art terrorist.

"No pain, no gain," he stated, "and this will be the ultimate test of that. Here we are on the biggest-ever tour and you've never heard of us. We're some synth hooray for tolerance! band opening for a heavy rock band. I have to go out with that attitude." [Raw, September 1995]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I don't agree about the Illusions. They may be uneven (like most double albums) but I wouldn't call anything on them garbage.

I think Trent Reznor's "ditch" quotes were when he had heard that Axl intended to remove Robin Finck's parts. He has also bashed the GnR crowds for the reception NIN had gotten when they opened for GnR in 1991.

He and Axl also shared a common love for Pet Shop Boys :) 

Excellent, thanks!

As for UYI, I'd toss without hesitation "You Ain't The First", "Pretty tied up", "So Fine", "Dust n' bones", "Bad Apples", "Bad Obsession", "Shotgun Blues", "Get in the ring", "Garden of Eden", "My World", and "14 years". I absolutely never listen to those songs. 

Some of those are worse than others of course (My World & So Fine being the absolute worse in my book) but I would call them mediocre at least, yeah...

Not even counting some I don't listen to much like "Don't Damn Me" (which is somewhat cool), "Right Next Door To Hell" and a few others which are "okay".

I don't have much love for the covers KOHD and Live & Let Die.

I love "Coma", "Estranged", "November Rain", "Civil War", "Locomotive", "Don't Cry", "You Could Be Mine" and "The Garden". Those are amazing songs in my book. Only 8 songs. So yeah, I'd have to agree with Reznor on that.

I know I have an unpopular opinion on that. I'll admit it, I dig the Chinese stuff more. Far more.

CD, Better, The Blues, TWAT, Catcher, State of grace, Checkmate, Sorry, IRS, This I love, Madagascar, Atlas. More songs I dig than I do on UYI, which is somewhat crazy.

I swear I prefer Hard School/Checkmate over a tons of the UYI songs. It's mindblowing to me it's still not released officially yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

Okay, I'm putting myself out there and predicting that GNR will debut Atlas and Hard School tomorrow night.

I know most of you will thing I'm mad, but stranger things have happened. Plus there's no fool like an old fool. :lol:

I think it is a possibility to. maybe gnr told the leakers to leak it to build up a little bit of hype?

• GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Okay, I'm putting myself out there and predicting that GNR will debut Atlas and Hard School tomorrow night.

I know most of you will think I'm mad, but stranger things have happened. Plus there's no fool like an old fool. :lol:

Only two spring to mind – the spontaneous combustion of the Mayor of Warsaw in 1546 and that incident in 12th-century Burgundy when it rained herring.

• Haha 1