2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

20 minutes ago, djtripp20 said:

He's honestly right. I mean it's easy for us to look back now that we are in 2019 and say "Holy shit these are amazing Axl is God bla bla" but back then Axl had a reputation. He had a reputation of a badass rock star with an unique and powerful raspy voice that layered perfectly with the bluesy licks from Slash. This is so far gone from old GnR that if he had released this he would have been the laughing stock of the music industry. GnR was a joke back then in that moment. Those of us who were around back then remember the disappointment. It was a band of clown characters and Axl was winded and sounded like Mickey Mouse. Ezrin was actually right. The songs aren't GnR... at least not then. Today we kind of expect the industrial sounds and bucket riffs, but back then people were looking for the next Sweet Child or Jungle. These songs are not that plain and simple.

GNR was a joke even with SCOM and WTTJ, hence the poor sales of Live Era (albeit the quality of the album itself may have helped with that). But they didnt exactly provided the next SCOM or WTTJ with the Illusions album either.

That didnt change with the CD release in 2008. Back then, GNR was already a "classic rock" band, but the songs were pretty much the same as the 2000 Intentions project. And I don't think Axl ever wanted that. The closest thing to the SCOM formula in my opinion was Better - memorable riff (even if its really weird), strong verses and chorus, great solo. It wasnt enough, and it would never be. What hurt the album wasn't exactly the quality itself, but what could've been if Slash at least was there.

What I say is: fuck Bob Ezrin, he wasn't right at all. The fans would find the album really weird, but that didnt stop a lot of us to love it. The 2000 Intentions album would never sell as much as the old band, but it would still be a pretty fucking good album and better than 99% of what was released back then. I believe Axl was a lot more motivated back then too, and probably more proud of what he produced.

12 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

so i take it fernando leaked these songs again to his portuguese friends but this time with the approval of uncle axl to get rid of all dead wood - hopefully thats the case 

CD era is a dud minus the 2001- 2002 lineup and their live renditions other than that i have no comprehension why many of u guys are so keen to listen to these sub par, fragmented and utterly unlistenable songs if you can call them that 

hard school has a decent intro but the chorus sucks - if this is the bar then the rest must be > my world 

1st - what portuguese friends? 

2nd - yes, of course the rest is > my world. 

32 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

GNR was a joke even with SCOM and WTTJ, hence the poor sales of Live Era (albeit the quality of the album itself may have helped with that). But they didnt exactly provided the next SCOM or WTTJ with the Illusions album either.

That didnt change with the CD release in 2008. Back then, GNR was already a "classic rock" band, but the songs were pretty much the same as the 2000 Intentions project. And I don't think Axl ever wanted that. The closest thing to the SCOM formula in my opinion was Better - memorable riff (even if its really weird), strong verses and chorus, great solo. It wasnt enough, and it would never be. What hurt the album wasn't exactly the quality itself, but what could've been if Slash at least was there.

What I say is: fuck Bob Ezrin, he wasn't right at all. The fans would find the album really weird, but that didnt stop a lot of us to love it. The 2000 Intentions album would never sell as much as the old band, but it would still be a pretty fucking good album and better than 99% of what was released back then. I believe Axl was a lot more motivated back then too, and probably more proud of what he produced.

1st - what portuguese friends? 

2nd - yes, of course the rest is > my world. 

back during the first initial leaks it was revealed that fernando being over zealous to impress some friends he wanted to hang out with - leaked them to what were known as the portguese hoarders in the early 2000's 

20 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

back during the first initial leaks it was revealed that fernando being over zealous to impress some friends he wanted to hang out with - leaked them to what were known as the portguese hoarders in the early 2000's 

Oh, that. Actually I remember other story: that Tommy Stinson had a portuguese girlfriend (or just a girl friend) and thats were it came from. But could be indeed Fernando or any other from Beta's family, as we Brazilians share the same language.

9 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i'm not saying it sucks entirely, the first bit was quite good i just couldn't get through the middle at all 

I think chorus kicks ass, and it‘s the best rocker from this era. But Quick Song sounds pretty cool to me too, it has nice riff  I hope we will get version with vocals soon

2 hours ago, djtripp20 said:

He's honestly right. I mean it's easy for us to look back now that we are in 2019 and say "Holy shit these are amazing Axl is God bla bla" but back then Axl had a reputation. He had a reputation of a badass rock star with an unique and powerful raspy voice that layered perfectly with the bluesy licks from Slash. This is so far gone from old GnR that if he had released this he would have been the laughing stock of the music industry. GnR was a joke back then in that moment. Those of us who were around back then remember the disappointment. It was a band of clown characters and Axl was winded and sounded like Mickey Mouse. Ezrin was actually right. The songs aren't GnR... at least not then. Today we kind of expect the industrial sounds and bucket riffs, but back then people were looking for the next Sweet Child or Jungle. These songs are not that plain and simple.

Why would Axl want to make the next Sweet Child or Jungle? What would be the point? 

32 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

So what’s left.... 

Tonto

Zodiac

Real Doll

Thyme

Shacklers 

Quick

Sorry

Eye

ITW

Mustache

maybe more?

Are you talking about vocals? Really hoping there are some in RMCD2 which must be out there soon?! 👍

Funny thing is - even if we only got Hard School out of all this I would have been over the moon so anything else is a bonus.

And I look forward to seeing some of this material on the new EP/album.

8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Are you talking about vocals? Really hoping there are some in RMCD2 which must be out there soon?! 👍

Funny thing is - even if we only got Hard School out of all this I would have been over the moon so anything else is a bonus.

And I look forward to seeing some of this material on the new EP/album.

Everything but zodiac has vocals if I remember correctly. Could be wrong though...

Edited by HollyWoodRose84

With the exception of Silkworms (which is silkworms, a genre all of its own). That first CD of rough mixes sounds very Guns meets Queen with a sprinkling of Axl weirdness on it. 

But also go look at what rock/metal bands were putting out in late 99 - 02. Loads of NuMetal inspired tosh (not that NuMetal is all rubbish but for some reason every established rock band felt they had to have a go). Unlike the final CD product we got to me these sound less like a product of their time somehow. 

• Like 1

So I just went through all the Disc screenshots and counted everything up. Once this all finished leaking, we will have nine new songs with vocals (eleven if you count Going Down and KOHD Acoustic) and TWENTY new instrumental songs.

so this basically gives us ChiDem 2 and an instrumental DOUBLE ALBUM!

not to mention all the old versions of the songs we already know (aka 2000 Intentions).

so that’s like FOUR albums in total, when you think about it... that’s crazy!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, djtripp20 said:

I never said he did. I said that's what the public were looking for back then.

You can't pander to the general public. The general public like Coldplay and voted for the Nazi party. They can't be trusted!

Great bands don't care what the public want, they make the music they want to make. If you asked the general public after appetite came out, what they want next, they'd say "more of the same, please". A lot of fans didn't like the direction GN'R took with the illusion albums.

Axl's artistic direction was perfect, if you ask me. He said he was trying to do something different, after all.