2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Does anyone think it’s odd that there are no other versions of OMG on these discs? Clearly it was one of the songs that had time invested in it with it being on the EOD soundtrack in 1999 - yet not a single version of it on these discs?

It does make me think there is much more material from this time than is available.

7 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Does anyone think it’s odd that there are no other versions of OMG on these discs? Clearly it was one of the songs that had time invested in it with it being on the EOD soundtrack in 1999 - yet not a single version of it on these discs?

It does make me think there is much more material from this time than is available.

Id be absolutely shocked if Axl's vault wasnt totally loaded well above and beyond these locker leaks with Chinese D. era.

Edited by ax1

18 minutes ago, ax1 said:

Id be absolutely shocked if Axl's vault wasnt totally loaded well above and beyond these locker leaks with Chinese D. era.

Oh - there is almost zero doubt there will be other material form later years, I was more thinking about the 99-00-01 years these discs seem to cover. Surely there must be other discs from this time which include OMG - I think this pretty much confirms this was just a batch and there will be more (likely in the vault).

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I'd never thought about that but yeah it is odd. It may be because end of days was already released by the time these disks were handed over to zutaut so there was no reason to demo it.

conapiracy theory:

Axl wanted a clean slate to make new music with slash and duff so he threw the disks on eBay to get it out there. Can't figure out why they'd add hardschool to the set list otherwise.

14 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

I'd never thought about that but yeah it is odd. It may be because end of days was already released by the time these disks were handed over to zutaut so there was no reason to demo it.

conapiracy theory:

Axl wanted a clean slate to make new music with slash and duff so he threw the disks on eBay to get it out there. Can't figure out why they'd add hardschool to the set list otherwise.

I was more thinking about the comments of OMG effectively being a demo as opposed to a finished track on EOD. And clearly the track has still kicked around as noted on the Bumblefoot leak.

Would have been cool to hear other versions.

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

I was more thinking about the comments of OMG effectively being a demo as opposed to a finished track on EOD. And clearly the track has still kicked around as noted on the Bumblefoot leak.

Would have been cool to hear other versions.

Me too, OMG is such an under-rated song.

• Like 1

Have anyone made an album from these leaks ? I mean all the songs with vocals. Rough Mix cd 1 works well just like an album but are there any other songs the same quality to be added to the cd to make the ultimate leaks album ? Can someone name all the songs with vocals ? 

• Like 1

Some random thoughts on the leaks.

Of the songs that eventually ended up on CD, only Scraped and This I Love are not featured on the locker CDs (unless some of the songs on Rough Mixes CD #2 contains either of them in an early form and with another name, although this seems unlikely). The immediate conclusion would be that these two songs are more recent than the locker room CDs, but we know This I Love predates them. What about Scraped? Not much is known about this song, and I would guess it is newer.

Then why isn't This I Love found in demo form on the locker CDs? Maybe they started working on it afterwards, or maybe they worked on it before 2000 but stopped and it wasn't found on the locker CDs because Axl didn't want to release it, at least not as part of GN'R? We know that Robin and Caram insisted that it should be included, so presumably work then happened on it after 2000, and likely quite close to 2008 when CD was released.

All the other songs from CD are found in at least one version on the locker CDs:

Chinese Democracy: Obviously an old song that got a lot of attention. There is a dedicated CD among the locker CDs dedicated to various versions of it, and it is featured on Rough Mix CD # 1.

Shackler's Revenge: Only one version of this song on the locker CDs, and presumably without vocals. A Bucket song (likely coming from Bucket CD #1), so likely recently brought in to the band. The band then worked extensively on this before release of CD in 2008.

Better: Three versions of this on the locker CDs, all instrumental and with the early name "Three Dollar Pyramid". Likely a recent song at the time, but one they saw had potential.

Street of Dreams: As for CD. Went under the early name "The Blues". On Rough Mixes CD #1.

If the World: As for Shackler's. But not a Bucket song (?). Found on Rough Mixes CD #2.

There was a Time: As for CD. On Rough Mixes CD #1.

Catcher in the Rye: Now it gets interesting. Only one version on the locker CDs, on Rough Mixes CD #1. This suggests this is a song the band had worked on previously, so there would be numerous versions dating form early recording sessions. Maybe the band found it finished and that they didn't need to work more on it when the locker CDs were made?

Riad N' The Bedouins: As for CD. Rough Mixes CD #1.

Sorry: As for Shackler's A Bucket song from Bucket CD #1.

I.R.S.: As for Catcher. So another song they felt finished with? Later on, when Bumble joined, he would add extra guitar on this track. Found on Rough Mixes CD #3.

Madagascar: As for CD. Found on Rough Mixes CD #1.

Prostitute: As for CD. Found on Rough Mixes CD #1.

It can't be a coincidence that most of what ended up on CD was found on Rough Mixes CD #1. To me, this strongly suggests that Rough Mixes CD #1 was intended as the first album. Then follows that Rough Mixes CD #2-4 were intended as future albums, at least loosely, although at the time when the CDs were created Thyme (Rough Mixes CD #4) had been decided to be fused to P.R.L. (Rough Mixes CD #2). The Rough Mixes CD #2-4 also generally contain less finished songs, most without vocals or with only guide vocals, suggesting the band focused on finishing the first batch of songs to be released.
Exceptions are Hard School (Rough Mixes CD #3), If The World (#2), and I.R.S. (#3) which all seemed pretty much finished but are found on later Rough Mixes CDs. Maybe Axl had a clear plan for the various songs and when they should be released and just felt these songs had to come later?

Then there are other songs that were heavily worked on and found on the locker CDs but didn't end up on CD:

Atlas Shrugged: Found on Rough Mixes CD #1 and presumably intended for the first release. Lots of versions on the locker CDs Almost found its way to CD.

Perhaps: Found on Rough Mixes CD #1 and presumably intended for the first release. Only one version, so an old song?

Silkworms: Found on Rough Mixes CD #1 and presumably intended for the first release. Only one version, so an old song?

Hard School: Found on Rough Mixes Cd #3. Maybe as a straight-ahead rocker Axl felt it should be on a different release? Only one version, so an old song?

Tommy demos: Obviously finished and ready for release. Maybe intended as B-sides since they deviate quite a lot from the GN'R sound?
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

No-one really knows where TIL came into the picture - Axl says he was convinced by everyone else to put it on the record and wasn't part of the sessions so maybe it didn't resuface until much much later. The album credits also only point to Eric Caidieux and Caram Costano getting creddit for Sub Drums  and editing (all tracks credit)- no-one is actually credited clearly as recording it.

Also after these rough mixes RTB came on the scene and re-recorded a lot of the album (theres his new drums work on those later discs). So very little of this instrumentation possibly features on the end album - even the guitar work was re-amped at one stage (if was kept and not re-recorded completly prior to that). Obviously BH went back over and recorded parts onto all these songs, that were later altered by re-amping and then further takes by Bumble. Also Fortus plays guitar on CD, Better (rather more obviously), Street of Dreams, TWAT and Prostitute so there's a chance that these were all completly re-recorded or at least altered quite significantly post his arrival in 2002.

@SoulMonster Axl forced Dave Dominguez to destroy the original demo tape of TIL from the UYI era in 1998 and it didn’t come back into the picture until many years later when “robin, among others” (according to Axl) convinced him to resurrect it. I guess robin must’ve heard it before the original tape was destroyed.

goldstein referred to it in 2001 as “an old GnR song” that wouldn’t be on the album. So at that point (which is also around the time of these locker discs), it was still dead.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, life_247 said:

No-one really knows where TIL came into the picture - Axl says he was convinced by everyone else to put it on the record and wasn't part of the sessions so maybe it didn't resuface until much much later. The album credits also only point to Eric Caidieux and Caram Costano getting creddit for Sub Drums  and editing (all tracks credit)- no-one is actually credited clearly as recording it.

Also after these rough mixes RTB came on the scene and re-recorded a lot of the album (theres his new drums work on those later discs). So very little of this instrumentation possibly features on the end album - even the guitar work was re-amped at one stage (if was kept and not re-recorded completly prior to that). Obviously BH went back over and recorded parts onto all these songs, that were later altered by re-amping and then further takes by Bumble. Also Fortus plays guitar on CD, Better (rather more obviously), Street of Dreams, TWAT and Prostitute so there's a chance that these were all completly re-recorded or at least altered quite significantly post his arrival in 2002.

Roy Thomas Baker was with GNR as producer between April 2000 and February 2002

The locker CD's were dated between March 2000 and November 2001

The locker CD's have basically everything Baker worked on (or everything he carried over from before he joined - the mixes dated March 2000 we can assume he didn't alter at all since he wasn't there yet in March).

19 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

@SoulMonster Axl forced Dave Dominguez to destroy the original demo tape of TIL from the UYI era in 1998 and it didn’t come back into the picture until many years later when “robin, among others” (according to Axl) convinced him to resurrect it. I guess robin must’ve heard it before the original tape was destroyed.

Or maybe he just heard Axl play it on the piano at some point? 

So anyway, it was a song that was likely recorded (possibly again) after 2000 for the release of CD, like Scraped. I wonder if other entirely new songs came out of these later sessions? The General, Ides of March, Down by the Ocean, Seven, Leave me Alone/Soul Monster (=Me & My Elvis?), Blood in the Water?

5 hours ago, vicson said:

Have anyone made an album from these leaks ? I mean all the songs with vocals. Rough Mix cd 1 works well just like an album but are there any other songs the same quality to be added to the cd to make the ultimate leaks album ? Can someone name all the songs with vocals ? 

Here's the album I made:

Hard school

Quick Song

Atlas

SOG

Nothing

Tommy Demo #1

Eye On You

Silkworms

Perhaps

Going Down

OMG

I used 2000 Intentions for the name & a modified version of the red hand CD album art.

@SoulMonster it looks like rough mix 1 was an initial draft of what Chinese could be. I would agree mix 1 and mix 2 were probably drafts of separate albums with the other songs to be added on to album 1 or 2 (as the run time of each isn’t that long) either as a “b” list / filler so to speak or songs which require further work (eg writing lyrics)

Some real gold in these leaks ...a shame that it went down as it has ..... An album 99, 2003 , 2008, 2012 ..etc.... Would been great ....

wonder what went wrong ..... Many things i guess ....and now its too late ..... But i feel really greatful that I've heard these fucking

great songs .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I am guessing that since OMG was released in '99 and not intended for the album, since these are for working mixes of songs potentially for the new album at the time, OMG wouldn't be included

I do agree that this is probably a drop in the bucket regarding how much actual material existed, and most likely has exponentially increased since then as well

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

goldstein referred to it in 2001 as “an old GnR song” that wouldn’t be on the album. So at that point (which is also around the time of these locker discs), it was still dead.

If I can recall correctly , Dave Dominguez said Axl told him to erase the "I Love You Stephanie" part after the end of the song. Not necessarily the entire tape. He also said he took extra care to not erase any other thing of the track

Just now, Beto 22 said:

If I can recall correctly , Dave Dominguez said Axl told him to erase the "I Love You Stephanie" part after the end of the song. Not necessarily the entire tape. He also said he took extra care to not erase any other thing of the track

No I watched the interview again the other day. He said Axl forced him to erase the whole thing.