Jump to content
RussTCB

CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I would guess folk will flaunt the rules regardless. At this point, anyone who wants them will get them.

And thank fuck for that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cosmo said:

So... I haven't posted here for like 3-4 years now and I've really stopped listening to GnR for quite a while until I hear about the leaks so I rushed in here to get a general perspective of what you guys were discussing and to the people saying #fuckezrin and shit: If Axl had released all of these industrial experimental stuff and these god awful songs like State of Grace, Hardschool, Atlas Shrugged and Perhaps, he would have been eaten alive by critics, fans and the media. Ezrin was right. Most of these unreleased songs suck. Some are promising, like Zodiac 13, Dummy, and maybe Oklahoma, but man... the best unreleased song I've heard so far is fucking Going Down. That's how sad this is. Plus, although some of the over-layering on CD was over the top and unnecessary, the released songs are a million times better than these leaks. All of them. I'm still trying to process just how all of the Chinese Democracy (the song) leaks sound so bad.

 

It is way better to release a single album of your best material than to release all you have in a bunch of weak releases, which would have been the case if this stuff saw the light of day. In the case of CD, Rhiad and Scraped could and should have been switched for something else out there but, oh well... just saying: these leaked albums would have flopped so hard it would have been even more humiliating. And the reason for that is well, most of this sucks. So thanks Ezrin.

 

He's honestly right. I mean it's easy for us to look back now that we are in 2019 and say "Holy shit these are amazing Axl is God bla bla" but back then Axl had a reputation. He had a reputation of a badass rock star with an unique and powerful raspy voice that layered perfectly with the bluesy licks from Slash. This is so far gone from old GnR that if he had released this he would have been the laughing stock of the music industry. GnR was a joke back then in that moment. Those of us who were around back then remember the disappointment. It was a band of clown characters and Axl was winded and sounded like Mickey Mouse. Ezrin was actually right. The songs aren't GnR... at least not then. Today we kind of expect the industrial sounds and bucket riffs, but back then people were looking for the next Sweet Child or Jungle. These songs are not that plain and simple.

Now I'm a huge fan of NiN, KMFDM, and NuGNR so I love these new instrumentals. I think it would be a kick ass record if Axl made his own band. But to call this GnR in 2001 would have been a mistake. Ezrin at least had the balls to tell Axl that.

That said, here's my current playlist (someone was asking which songs to listen to):

Dub Suplex
Dummy
Eye on You
Going Down (still a fav of mine)
Hardschool
Me and My Elvis
Oklahoma
Perhaps
Prom Violence
Quick Song
State of Grace
The Rebel
Zodiac 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so i take it fernando leaked these songs again to his portuguese friends but this time with the approval of uncle axl to get rid of all dead wood - hopefully thats the case 

CD era is a dud minus the 2001- 2002 lineup and their live renditions other than that i have no comprehension why many of u guys are so keen to listen to these sub par, fragmented and utterly unlistenable songs if you can call them that 

hard school has a decent intro but the chorus sucks - if this is the bar then the rest must be > my world 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, djtripp20 said:

He's honestly right. I mean it's easy for us to look back now that we are in 2019 and say "Holy shit these are amazing Axl is God bla bla" but back then Axl had a reputation. He had a reputation of a badass rock star with an unique and powerful raspy voice that layered perfectly with the bluesy licks from Slash. This is so far gone from old GnR that if he had released this he would have been the laughing stock of the music industry. GnR was a joke back then in that moment. Those of us who were around back then remember the disappointment. It was a band of clown characters and Axl was winded and sounded like Mickey Mouse. Ezrin was actually right. The songs aren't GnR... at least not then. Today we kind of expect the industrial sounds and bucket riffs, but back then people were looking for the next Sweet Child or Jungle. These songs are not that plain and simple.

Now I'm a huge fan of NiN, KMFDM, and NuGNR so I love these new instrumentals. I think it would be a kick ass record if Axl made his own band. But to call this GnR in 2001 would have been a mistake. Ezrin at least had the balls to tell Axl that.

I think Axl knew that, too, which is why Rough Mix CD #1 is likely what would have been the original Chinese Democracy. Silkworms aside, most of those songs are closer to what is expected from GNR. All this more industrial/electronic stuff on the likes of Rough Mix CD #3 sounds like it was planned for the follow-up/P.R.L.:

Quote

The rebuilding – and ongoing reinvention – of Guns n’ Roses has been a difficult and, quite obviously, slow and expensive process. Rose does point out that the expense will be less glaring if, as he expects, he gets another record out of the hours and hours of material he’s committed to tape, possibly one that’s even more industrial and electronica-influenced than Chinese Democracy. “I’d like to take some of the old Guns fans along with me gradually into the 21st century,” he says.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/axl-speaks-238599/

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, djtripp20 said:

He's honestly right. I mean it's easy for us to look back now that we are in 2019 and say "Holy shit these are amazing Axl is God bla bla" but back then Axl had a reputation. He had a reputation of a badass rock star with an unique and powerful raspy voice that layered perfectly with the bluesy licks from Slash. This is so far gone from old GnR that if he had released this he would have been the laughing stock of the music industry. GnR was a joke back then in that moment. Those of us who were around back then remember the disappointment. It was a band of clown characters and Axl was winded and sounded like Mickey Mouse. Ezrin was actually right. The songs aren't GnR... at least not then. Today we kind of expect the industrial sounds and bucket riffs, but back then people were looking for the next Sweet Child or Jungle. These songs are not that plain and simple.

GNR was a joke even with SCOM and WTTJ, hence the poor sales of Live Era (albeit the quality of the album itself may have helped with that). But they didnt exactly provided the next SCOM or WTTJ with the Illusions album either.

That didnt change with the CD release in 2008. Back then, GNR was already a "classic rock" band, but the songs were pretty much the same as the 2000 Intentions project. And I don't think Axl ever wanted that. The closest thing to the SCOM formula in my opinion was Better - memorable riff (even if its really weird), strong verses and chorus, great solo. It wasnt enough, and it would never be. What hurt the album wasn't exactly the quality itself, but what could've been if Slash at least was there.

What I say is: fuck Bob Ezrin, he wasn't right at all. The fans would find the album really weird, but that didnt stop a lot of us to love it. The 2000 Intentions album would never sell as much as the old band, but it would still be a pretty fucking good album and better than 99% of what was released back then. I believe Axl was a lot more motivated back then too, and probably more proud of what he produced.

12 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

so i take it fernando leaked these songs again to his portuguese friends but this time with the approval of uncle axl to get rid of all dead wood - hopefully thats the case 

CD era is a dud minus the 2001- 2002 lineup and their live renditions other than that i have no comprehension why many of u guys are so keen to listen to these sub par, fragmented and utterly unlistenable songs if you can call them that 

hard school has a decent intro but the chorus sucks - if this is the bar then the rest must be > my world 

1st - what portuguese friends? 

2nd - yes, of course the rest is > my world. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

GNR was a joke even with SCOM and WTTJ, hence the poor sales of Live Era (albeit the quality of the album itself may have helped with that). But they didnt exactly provided the next SCOM or WTTJ with the Illusions album either.

That didnt change with the CD release in 2008. Back then, GNR was already a "classic rock" band, but the songs were pretty much the same as the 2000 Intentions project. And I don't think Axl ever wanted that. The closest thing to the SCOM formula in my opinion was Better - memorable riff (even if its really weird), strong verses and chorus, great solo. It wasnt enough, and it would never be. What hurt the album wasn't exactly the quality itself, but what could've been if Slash at least was there.

What I say is: fuck Bob Ezrin, he wasn't right at all. The fans would find the album really weird, but that didnt stop a lot of us to love it. The 2000 Intentions album would never sell as much as the old band, but it would still be a pretty fucking good album and better than 99% of what was released back then. I believe Axl was a lot more motivated back then too, and probably more proud of what he produced.

1st - what portuguese friends? 

2nd - yes, of course the rest is > my world. 

back during the first initial leaks it was revealed that fernando being over zealous to impress some friends he wanted to hang out with - leaked them to what were known as the portguese hoarders in the early 2000's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

hard school has a decent intro but the chorus sucks - if this is the bar then the rest must be > my world 

I think I listened to different Hard School then

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

back during the first initial leaks it was revealed that fernando being over zealous to impress some friends he wanted to hang out with - leaked them to what were known as the portguese hoarders in the early 2000's 

Oh, that. Actually I remember other story: that Tommy Stinson had a portuguese girlfriend (or just a girl friend) and thats were it came from. But could be indeed Fernando or any other from Beta's family, as we Brazilians share the same language.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i'm not saying it sucks entirely, the first bit was quite good i just couldn't get through the middle at all 

I think chorus kicks ass, and it‘s the best rocker from this era. But Quick Song sounds pretty cool to me too, it has nice riff  I hope we will get version with vocals soon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, djtripp20 said:

He's honestly right. I mean it's easy for us to look back now that we are in 2019 and say "Holy shit these are amazing Axl is God bla bla" but back then Axl had a reputation. He had a reputation of a badass rock star with an unique and powerful raspy voice that layered perfectly with the bluesy licks from Slash. This is so far gone from old GnR that if he had released this he would have been the laughing stock of the music industry. GnR was a joke back then in that moment. Those of us who were around back then remember the disappointment. It was a band of clown characters and Axl was winded and sounded like Mickey Mouse. Ezrin was actually right. The songs aren't GnR... at least not then. Today we kind of expect the industrial sounds and bucket riffs, but back then people were looking for the next Sweet Child or Jungle. These songs are not that plain and simple.

Why would Axl want to make the next Sweet Child or Jungle? What would be the point? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

So what’s left.... 

Tonto

Zodiac

Real Doll

Thyme

Shacklers 

Quick

Sorry

Eye

ITW

Mustache

 

maybe more?

 

Are you talking about vocals? Really hoping there are some in RMCD2 which must be out there soon?! 👍

Funny thing is - even if we only got Hard School out of all this I would have been over the moon so anything else is a bonus.

And I look forward to seeing some of this material on the new EP/album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Are you talking about vocals? Really hoping there are some in RMCD2 which must be out there soon?! 👍

Funny thing is - even if we only got Hard School out of all this I would have been over the moon so anything else is a bonus.

And I look forward to seeing some of this material on the new EP/album.

Everything but zodiac has vocals if I remember correctly. Could be wrong though...

Edited by HollyWoodRose84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Everything but zodiac has vocals if I remember correctly. Could be wrong though...

Everything where? On Rough Mixes 2? Or are you talking about something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MooseMan said:

Why would Axl want to make the next Sweet Child or Jungle? What would be the point? 

I never said he did. I said that's what the public were looking for back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the exception of Silkworms (which is silkworms, a genre all of its own). That first CD of rough mixes sounds very Guns meets Queen with a sprinkling of Axl weirdness on it. 

But also go look at what rock/metal bands were putting out in late 99 - 02. Loads of NuMetal inspired tosh (not that NuMetal is all rubbish but for some reason every established rock band felt they had to have a go). Unlike the final CD product we got to me these sound less like a product of their time somehow. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is like being a kid at Christmas again.

I used to sneak downstairs on Christmas morning to see if Santa had left any presents.

I'm basically doing the exact same thing now each morning.

Edited by ToonGuns
grammar
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is too much to leak in such a short time. How dare someone treat GNR fans this way. This could kill us. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BucketFinckFortus said:

The Chairman >>> Santa Claus

Any best on what will we get later? Rough Mixes #2, #4 or Quick Song?

my bet is #4, then QS, then #2. but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×