2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

4 hours ago, Creed said:

someone should ask Baz if all songs he has heard in 2006 had vocals. Cause i doubt that somehow...

I could swear that Axl said, in that Feb 2006 Rolling Stone interview, that 28 "A-level songs" had vocals, at that time.  I don't have it, so, I could easily be wrong.

If you count the 14 on CD and we now have, what, 6?  Assuming the 6 we have would have been "A-Level" when completed, that means we should have 8 or so left, no?

Edited by oneway23

3 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I could swear that Axl said, in that Feb 2006 Rolling Stone interview, that 28 "A-level songs" had vocals, at that time.  I don't have it, so, I could easily be wrong.

If you count the 14 on CD and we now have, what, 6?  Assuming the 6 we have would have been "A-Level" when completed, that means we should have 8 or so left, no?

Id bet a lot of the instrumentals we have now were more fleshed out with vocals from like 2002-2006

5 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

This one?

After all, before he lends his talents to others' projects, Rose has one of his own to finish, and he says it's getting there. "We're working on thirty-two songs, and twenty-six are nearly done," he says. Of those, thirteen are slated for the final album. Among Rose's favorites are "Better," "There Was a Time" and "The Blues."

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2882-2006-01-16-quotes-from-axl-rolling-stone

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Id bet a lot of the instrumentals we have now were more fleshed out with vocals from like 2002-2006

Exactly.  We know this process was all about refinement.

I'm guessing The General was newer, maybe Seven, so, unless those were re-titled and re-tooled from an earlier demo, we probably still need to hear those.

We know of a January 2007 Axl vocal recording session, so Axl recorded at least once after the article ran.  Guessing that's where the "What'd I Tell Ya!" bit from The Blues came from, but, I obviously can't say for sure..  Who knows what else was worked on?

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This one?

After all, before he lends his talents to others' projects, Rose has one of his own to finish, and he says it's getting there. "We're working on thirty-two songs, and twenty-six are nearly done," he says. Of those, thirteen are slated for the final album. Among Rose's favorites are "Better," "There Was a Time" and "The Blues."

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2882-2006-01-16-quotes-from-axl-rolling-stone

Thanks, Blackstar!  That's the one.  Numbers were a little off, but, that's not too bad off the top of my head for a nearly 14 year old article !

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't have any inferest in getting into some sort of info war, but I want to clarify something I was told about earlier:

NO, Bumblefoot does not have a ton of unreleased GNR tracks. And NO, Bumblefoot does not have ANY interesting in selling / leaking them even if he did. 

I do not like to speak on his behalf, but in this case I feel it's necessary to clarify that point. 

Thanks for clarifying.  I was a bit skeptical that any of the former members would have access to anything like that.  Bumblefoot, if I recall, couldn't even bring CDs home to learn the material when he was joining the band/rehearsing for the tour/recording for CD.

Even if former members did have anything, the NDAs they signed are probably in perpetuity and would in all likelihood have lawyers raining down on them immediately.

Edited by oneway23

I cannot understand why so many people are interested in hearing a re-recorded Appetite. This is the music equivalent of remaking a perfect movie 12 years later with only one member of the original cast. 

Fact- Axl’s vocals will not be better.

Fact- The music sure as shit will not be better

Is this just curiosity? A desire for novelty? 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I cannot understand why so many people are interested in hearing a re-recorded Appetite. This is the music equivalent of remaking a perfect movie 12 years later with only one member of the original cast. 

Speaking for myself, just a curio...I'd only like to hear it once, just to say I heard it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

As a huge fan of the '98-'99 iteration of Guns I want to hear it just out of musical interest .. An amazing album with a different approach 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Axl sounded better in the second half of the rerecorded SCOM we have heard compared to the album version.

But, for most I'd say curiosity is the word. 

2 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Axl sounded better in the second half of the rerecorded SCOM we have heard compared to the album version.

But, for most I'd say curiosity is the word. 

I completely disagree about SCOM. More rasp yes. Better no fucking way. 

• Like 2

Re-recorded versions of big hits are in like 9/10 cases worse. Mostly because they lack the money to produce it as well as the original was. The only time that's really interesting if they change the arrangement or style a lot. I find demo versions a lot more interesting. I like to listen to the SCOM one for the different solo. Or the Nightrain one because it has a different intro (really badass actually) starting with rain and a train coming on sound and Axls vocals sound a lot meaner in the verses. They didn't even put either that demo on the boxset ffs...

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Arnuld said:

I completely disagree about SCOM. More rasp yes. Better no fucking way. 

I suppose it's all a matter of taste. I like Axl's vocals from the CD era more than the others. Sounds clean, natural. Of course some rasp is fun too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

I suppose it's all a matter of taste. I like Axl's vocals from the CD era more than the others. Sounds clean, natural. Of course some rasp is fun too. 

I like it too. It’s different which is fine. It also fits the CD material well. Creates a dividing line between eras

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

I am interested only because it is known to be already made and I think the fans deserve to at least listen to it should they choose. Sweet Child of course turned to be nothing compared to the original imo, but it was still an interesting take I listen to once in a blue moon.

If we had a vote for the future, Id bet almost every one of us would rather just have new music of course.

• Like 1

Just now, ax1 said:

I am interested only because it is known to be already made and I think the fans deserve to at least listen to it should they choose. Sweet Child of course turned to be nothing compared to the original imo, but it was still an interesting take I listen to once in a blue moon.

If we had a vote for the future, Id bet almost every one of us would rather just have new music of course.

I just want to hear Slash and Axl play on an album again. It’s like peanut butter and jelly. It’s just right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oneway23 said:

Exactly.  We know this process was all about refinement.

I'm guessing The General was newer, maybe Seven, so, unless those were re-titled and re-tooled from an earlier demo, we probably still need to hear those.

We know of a January 2007 Axl vocal recording session, so Axl recorded at least once after the article ran.  Guessing that's where the "What'd I Tell Ya!" bit from The Blues came from, but, I obviously can't say for sure..  Who knows what else was worked on?

Thanks, Blackstar!  That's the one.  Numbers were a little off, but, that's not too bad off the top of my head for a nearly 14 year old article !

I disagree that the new outro on SOD was recorded in January 2007. He didn’t start singing the lyrics in the outro live until 2009, and they did play some gigs in 2007. That to me says those lyrics hadn’t been added yet by the time the 2007 tour started, so it was likely recorded in the second half of 2007 or 2008. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I disagree that the new outro on SOD was recorded in January 2007. He didn’t start singing the lyrics in the outro live until 2009, and they did play some gigs in 2007. That to me says those lyrics hadn’t been added yet by the time the 2007 tour started, so it was likely recorded in the second half of 2007 or 2008. 

Fair point.  Sounds reasonable to me!

44 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

What's interesting in some early performances of Better is you can hear Tommy sing the altered chorus from the demo.

1 hour ago, Amir said:

What's interesting in some early performances of Better is you can hear Tommy sing the altered chorus from the demo.

You mean the chorus that went “now I know you know better, you know I know you know better”?

instead of the final chorus which is simply just “now I know you better, you know I know better.”

44 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

You mean the chorus that went “now I know you know better, you know I know you know better”?

instead of the final chorus which is simply just “now I know you better, you know I know better.”

Yeah, "Now you know me better...". Think I heard him sing that at on a Hammerstein boot and/or Download 2006. He must not have heard the latest version of the song at that point :P

It's curious though that Axl got the right number of TWAT screams between the Finck and Bucket solos in 2006, but from 2009 on keeps doing an extra "I would do anything for you, there was a time" over the Bucket solo, as if he were recalling the pre-Bucket solo demo versions of the song.

6 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Just curiosity, more that likely I'd listen once and never again. I do like the small organ part Dizzy added to the "where do we go" part of Sweet Child though.

Releasing it would have been suicide though.