2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

On 11/26/2019 at 1:47 PM, jimisbatman said:

Na found it on We Transfer. Found it amongst the fake General and Silkworms, which could be a sign in itself that it's fake lol, but it sounds good. 

One leaked years ago with Bumble playing awful solos, and had great Buckethead parts during Axl's singing.

Small Question,

Back then during summer 2006, (times flies!!:blink:!! 13 years ago! ) I got a CD with several leaks.

One of them was a fan made version of Chinese Democracy with a super long intro.

The main riff was being played for 1 minute at least with a backing vocal singing in a loop "Democracy.. Democracy.. Democracy)

Any idea where I could find it again?

I ve been searching for months.. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, eddie6 said:

Small Question,

Back then during summer 2006, (times flies!!:blink:!! 13 years ago! ) I got a CD with several leaks.

One of them was a fan made version of Chinese Democracy with a super long intro.

The main riff was being played for 1 minute at least with a backing vocal singing in a loop "Democracy.. Democracy.. Democracy)

Any idea where I could find it again?

I ve been searching for months.. 

wow lol yeah i remember that i also remember a fake prostitute leak back in 2006 

35 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Does anyone have any idea when we think the Going Down with Axl backing vocals was likely recorded? Is it a pre-CD recording?

The original Going Down demo was recorded in April 2001

I'm pretty sure the newer Going Down has Bucket on it, so I'd say anywhere from 2001-2004 (with BBF overdubs done later)

Edited by ApacheChief42

12 minutes ago, ApacheChief42 said:

The original Going Down demo was recorded in April 2001

I'm pretty sure the newer Going Down has Bucket on it, so I'd say anywhere from 2001-2004 (with BBF overdubs done later)

Cheers - yeah, I knew it was originally in the Village discs as a ‘Tommy’ demo. Just wondered when that version was likely to have been produced and whether it really could have been on CD (in terms of a song that was clearly worked on a fair bit and not just a rough idea).

48 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Cheers - yeah, I knew it was originally in the Village discs as a ‘Tommy’ demo. Just wondered when that version was likely to have been produced and whether it really could have been on CD (in terms of a song that was clearly worked on a fair bit and not just a rough idea).

Bumblefoot only recorded overdubs in January 2007 to my knowledge

So I'm guessing it was reworked circa-2002 and sat around until Axl started putting vocals on things in December 2006

On 28/11/2019 at 1:13 PM, The Rough Mixes said:

wow lol yeah i remember that i also remember a fake prostitute leak back in 2006 

So I'm not the only one :lol: lol

DO you have an idea where it comes from ?

Not asking for the link, but maybe the bootleg or other format from where it came from.

21 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

So I'm guessing it was reworked circa-2002 and sat around until Axl started putting vocals on things in December 2006

👍 - cheers, very helpful. It definitely could have been a contender for CD with it being in the works for a good few years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

I've been wondering, are the vocals on the final 2008 CD the very same as the ones in The Village Sessions leaks, or were all the vocals re recorded in 2006? To my ears they both sound the same but I'm no expert.

5 minutes ago, Strongback said:

I've been wondering, are the vocals on the final 2008 CD the very same as the ones in The Village Sessions leaks, or were all the vocals re recorded in 2006? To my ears they both sound the same but I'm no expert.

Most are the same as the Village Sessions leaks, but there were a few additional vocals added in 2006-07 (CD, TWAT, This I Love, Shackler's Revenge)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Strongback said:

https://sleazeroxx.com/recording-chinese-democracy-axl-rose-at-the-palms-studio/

RECORDING ‘CHINESE DEMOCRACY’: AXL ROSE AT THE PALMS STUDIO:

November 26, 2008

Next month will mark two years since audio engineer Mark Gray, 31, dropped by the studio at the Palms to say goodbye to his co-workers before departing for a vacation. His boss asked him if he would be willing to come back early to do some just-booked sessions. “I went from ‘no way,’ ” he recalls, “to changing my plane ticket right away.” All it took to change his mind is what the sessions were for recording. And, on Dec. 27, 2006, Gray found himself one of the many engineers to be connected to the legendary Guns N’ Roses disc “Chinese Democracy.”

Axl Rose arrived at the Palms Studio inside the resort and worked for 13 days in 2006 on his vocals for the finally released disc. Gray recalls a list of 14 songs (the same number as on the released version) many with working titles. Among those Rose worked on at Palms Studio he is sure are on the disc are “Chinese Democracy,” “Madagascar” and “Prostitute.” Despite the years and controversies that accompanied over a decade-long (The Palms was years from being built when Rose started work on the album) process of creating “Chinese Democracy,” Gray found Rose focused in their sessions at the end of 2006. Gray recalls:

“He had a firm handshake and looked you straight in the eye. It was all vocal overdubs or vocal leads. He would move from song to song, working on different parts. He was jumping about, but he knew exactly what he wanted. The producers set everything so the workflow is catered to the artist for anyone, and that is how it went down here. From what I saw, it was first takes or at most two or three takes. Rose would say, ‘I can get the part better’ or ‘I can tighten it up.’ “

And even if it took two more years for the results to be released, Gray was sure the album would eventually come out based on what he heard during those weeks working with Rose. While Gray was happy to play his tiny part in the disc, of course, he is happier now that “Chinese Democracy” is available to all, with Gray’s engineering work from 2006 integrated into the finished disc. Gray notes of the sessions:

“This is Guns N’ Roses. I had the butterflies in the stomach the night before each night. It was absolutely special. When you hear his voice, it was a highlight of my career. He just went in and sang. He was living with the record a long time by then, and he really knew what he wanted to do. He proved a good guy to be around. We would start about 5 or 6 in the evening, hitting tape by 7. We worked five or six hours. These were great sessions. It was a great moment in the studio for me, and it was technically flawless.”

It sounds like Axl just went over everything that was on the final album, but Axl said that he recorded vocals for "Soul Monster" on a Christmas Eve. That was either 12/24/2006 before Mark Gray joined in on the sessions, or sometime between 12/24/2002 and 12/24/2005 (Axl still hadn't recorded vocals for Soul Monster as of Summer 2002).

So let's narrow this down:

-I assume Axl wasn't recording Christmas 2002 after the North American tour fell apart

-Christmas 2003 was right before the label booted the band from The Village for inactivity

-Christmas 2004 the band was at Woodland Ranch Studios

-Christmas 2005 the band had no studio booked

So I'm going to say Axl recorded the Soul Monster vocals either on 12/24/2004 or 12/24/2006 (leaning towards 2004).

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

https://sleazeroxx.com/recording-chinese-democracy-axl-rose-at-the-palms-studio/

It sounds like Axl just went over everything that was on the final album, but Axl said that he recorded vocals for "Soul Monster" on a Christmas Eve. That was either 12/24/2006 before Mark Gray joined in on the sessions, or sometime between 12/24/2002 and 12/24/2005 (Axl still hadn't recorded vocals for Soul Monster as of Summer 2002).

So let's narrow this down:

-I assume Axl wasn't recording Christmas 2002 after the North American tour fell apart

-Christmas 2003 was right before the label booted the band from The Village for inactivity

-Christmas 2004 the band was at Woodland Ranch Studios

-Christmas 2005 the band had no studio booked

So I'm going to say Axl recorded the Soul Monster vocals either on 12/24/2004 or 12/24/2006 (leaning towards 2004).

Wow never read that before, crazy to think all the vocals were ready by the end of 2006 but the album took almost 2 more years to be released.

4 hours ago, Strongback said:

Wow never read that before, crazy to think all the vocals were ready by the end of 2006 but the album took almost 2 more years to be released.

I remember reading that article, or a similar one, just after CD was released and it was some guy stating that Axl came in and nailed his vocals in just one or two takes. It may have even been a different guy referring to a different recording session but I clearly recall how impressed the audio engineer was that Axl came in and in just a few takes for each song he delivered high quality vocals that were possibly the end product!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lantern said:

Does anyone think we'll get some christmas leaks?

We had Saskatoon in 2018 and the Chinese stuff this year. 

I think we have a lot. 

Edit:

Thinkin well... we have had too much for a gnr fan this 2 last years.

Edited by axlvai

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

I remember reading that article, or a similar one, just after CD was released and it was some guy stating that Axl came in and nailed his vocals in just one or two takes. It may have even been a different guy referring to a different recording session but I clearly recall how impressed the audio engineer was that Axl came in and in just a few takes for each song he delivered high quality vocals that were possibly the end product!

I think you’re talking about Angel Down

The raspy TIL from later years renders Axl's Village sessions vocals a bunch of shit. I'll never understand why they decided not to use this one. 

Also, yes the CD must have been finished by 2006 - Axl published that letter about Merck, remember? And promised a tentative date of March 2007. He wouldn't have said so if they hadn't been done. 

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

Also, yes the CD must have been finished by 2006 - Axl published that letter about Merck, remember? And promised a tentative date of March 2007. He wouldn't have said so if they hadn't been done. 

:lol:

My guess is that they didn't have one.

Throughout the years it was always stuff like: "It's definitely this year", "Soon is the word", "There are x tuesdays left this year"

And of course Sorry being described as Doom Metal by Bach, what a let down that was <_<