2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

42 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

:lol:

My guess is that they didn't have one.

Throughout the years it was always stuff like: "It's definitely this year", "Soon is the word", "There are x tuesdays left this year"

And of course Sorry being described as Doom Metal by Bach, what a let down that was <_<

We now know the music was mostly finished around 2001; the rest was more or less just fiddling about with the sound etc. God knows why it had to take another two years since 2006. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jamillos said:

We now know the music was mostly finished around 2001; the rest was more or less just fiddling about with the sound etc. God knows why it had to take another two years since 2006. 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8490842/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-album-legacy

This is a decent read about it, if you haven't read it yet. It's also in the newswire section on this forum.

But of course, many questions remain and will be left unanswered.

11 minutes ago, UcudBmine said:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8490842/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-album-legacy

This is a decent read about it, if you haven't read it yet. It's also in the newswire section on this forum.

But of course, many questions remain and will be left unanswered.

Oh I know, I was more like complaining again, even after those years. The time aspect was just ridiculous. 

47 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Then the leaks happened and it proved that Axl has a bunch of other tracks ready to go at any time. Even all of the instrumentals show that a very small amount of work would be needed to turn those into finished tracks.

You're implying that getting Axl to sit down and write lyrics for an entire song is an easy task

Between 2001 and 2007 he presumably only wrote lyrics for Better, Scraped, Shackler's Revenge, Soul Monster, Sorry and The General (and possibly Berlin)

57 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The time aspect is always the biggest pain in the ass with GNR. 

I cannot believe it's been another eleven years in between albums and we still haven't had even 1 more song officially released.

Until the latest round of leaks, I started to think "OK, well maybe the Chinese album was truly all Axl had that was good enough to release" 

Then the leaks happened and it proved that Axl has a bunch of other tracks ready to go at any time. Even all of the instrumentals show that a very small amount of work would be needed to turn those into finished tracks.

Instead of productivity and new material, all we got was Axl's "woe is me" attitude from 2008 until 2014. Then we got 2 more years of silence while the money making machine was being prepped. Since 2016 it's been about the almighty dollar, which is sad. 

yeah the worst part is 11 years with a bunch of material that is good enough to be released. That's where Axl is really different compared to other musicians. He waited until every condition was just right so almost nothing got released. Do you believe Duff's confirmation of Axl having "a zillion tunes" is true? I think it's likely there is a lot of unreleased material.

What a waste. I wonder if Slash and Duff could influence him to actually release another Guns album, even if they are going to complete it.

11 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

You're implying that getting Axl to sit down and write lyrics for an entire song is an easy task

Between 2001 and 2007 he presumably only wrote lyrics for Better, Scraped, Shackler's Revenge, Soul Monster, Sorry and The General (and possibly Berlin)

I cwrtainly hope he's written more than that, but probably not :/

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

yeah the worst part is 11 years with a bunch of material that is good enough to be released. That's where Axl is really different compared to other musicians. He waited until every condition was just right so almost nothing got released. Do you believe Duff's confirmation of Axl having "a zillion tunes" is true? I think it's likely there is a lot of unreleased material.

What a waste. I wonder if Slash and Duff could influence him to actually release another Guns album, even if they are going to complete it.

I believe that there's a ton of material sitting around, but like TheSeeker said above, who knows if Axl has lifted a finger to complete the lyrics. 

Ok let me try and do this

Chinese Democracy-era tracks and when they first originated (sorted by lineup)

Axl/Slash/Gilby/Duff/Matt/Dizzy (1991-1994)

This I Love

Axl/Slash/Paul/Duff/Matt/Dizzy (1994-1996)

Berlin

Down By the Ocean

Hard School

Axl/Robin/Paul/Duff/Matt/Dizzy (1997)

Oh My God

Axl/Robin//Paul/Tommy/Josh/Dizzy/Pitman (1998-1999)

As It Began

Atlas Shrugged

Billionaire

Catcher in the Rye

Chinese Democracy

Circus Maximus

Curly Shuffle

D Tune

Devious Bastard

Dub Suplex

Dummy

Eye on You

I.R.S.

If the World

Madagascar

Mustache

Nothing

P.R.L.

Perhaps

Prostitute

Quick Song

Riad N' the Bedouins

Silkworms

Soul Monster

State of Grace

Street of Dreams

There Was a Time

Thyme

Tonto

Zodiac 13

Axl/Buckethead/Paul/Tommy/Josh/Dizzy/Pitman (1999-2000)

RealDoll.com

Shackler's Revenge

Sorry

Axl/Buckethead/Robin/Paul/Tommy/Brain/Dizzy/Pitman (2000-2002)

Better

Going Down

Ides of March

Inside Out

Prom Violence

The Rebel

Untitled Tommy Stinson Demo #1

Axl/Buckethead/Robin/Richard/Tommy/Brain/Dizzy/Pitman (2002-2004)

Scraped

Seven

The General

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CAFC Nick said:

May have missed this but when did we get confirmation that Hardschool is from the OG Slash/Duff era?

People assume it's from the mid-90s because Axl referred to the song as "Jackie Chan" in 2008, and there were rumours that a GNR song was supposed to be included in a Jackie Chan movie/soundtrack around 1996. But it's never been confirmed.

I think people just really desperately want to hear anything 'new' from Axl and Slash (see the reactions to Shadow Of Your Love last year for another example) so they convince themselves the songs are older than they really are.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

We did not

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

People assume it's from the mid-90s because Axl referred to the song as "Jackie Chan" in 2008, and there were rumours that a GNR song was supposed to be included in a Jackie Chan movie/soundtrack around 1996. But it's never been confirmed.

I think people just really desperately want to hear anything 'new' from Axl and Slash (see the reactions to Shadow Of Your Love last year for another example) so they convince themselves the songs are older than they really are.

Cheers for that chaps - struck me as strange as the nothing about the structure of this song makes me think it has any Slash involvement.

Tonto has grown on me immensely, I now think its one of the best songs of the bunch. The guitar tones are spot on, Bucket's solo is great, and I love the outro

Its almost a bad thing I love all of these songs so much. Its like I am THIS close to getting CD2. I really think it would be my favorite GNR album after AFD based on the songs

Hardschool
Quicksong
Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps
Circus Maximus
Dub Suplex
Zodiac 13
Soul Monster
Oklahoma
State of Grace
D Tune
Tonto
Mustache
Devious Bastard
The General

Having all of those tracks and ideas finished and reworked with vocals... it'd have been an absolutely killer hard rock album

Edited by ZoSoRose

54 minutes ago, tkarmy said:

So I just finally managed to track down a bunch of the leaks

Can someone confirm all the songs that have leaked that have vocals on them?

And has Seven leaked?

Unreleased songs with vocals that have leaked:

Hardschool

Atlas Shrugged

Perhaps

State of Grace

Eye on You

Quick Song (only guide vocals - no lyrics)

Nothing (same line repeated)

Silkworms

Going Down (Tommy Stinson vocals)

Tommy Demo #1 (Tommy Stinson vocals)

Knocking On Heaven's Door 

--------

Leaked rough mixes with vocals of songs that made CD:

Chinese Democracy

The Blues

Catcher In The Rye

Madagascar

TWAT

Prostitute

IRS

Rhiad 

If The World

----------

Seven hasn't leaked.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

Please stop believing shit didnt happen, that songs were written by the band at the time, Axl as we know was infuriated with Slash and everything about him and his asociates that im amazed that anyone would think he recorded a song writen by him in that years.

stop spreading false assumptions

Axl was in the middle of recording vocals for the new album when Slash quit in October 1996

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Axl was in the middle of recording vocals for the new album when Slash quit in October 1996

Then slash used songs for that album in Snakepit so Axl was angry about that.

Axl wanted the new band to feel their own and have an unique voice, its been documented as hell. He said that Madagascar was the first song he wrote vocals and sang in studio since Sympathy at least, documented by himself and Pitman.

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Just to clarify, the song for the Jackie Chan movie wasn't just a rumour. It was mentioned by Duff in a 1996 interview at the time when the band was reconvening in the studio for what was meant to be Slash's last sessions. This is why the association was made after Axl referred to the song (until then only known under the made up title "Checkmate") as Jackie Chan.

Of course it's possible that it's a coincidence or that Axl was joking about the Jackie Chan title. But I think it's legitimate to assume that it could be the same song Duff had mentioned.

Moreover: Iirc Tommy had said that the vault included songs that were written before the classic lineup broke up, which would see the light of the day someday. And Marc Canter said that Axl had told him in 2001 that he was thinking of using songs Slash had written on and he would have Slash play on them if he apologised. So there were songs from that time, although most likely they were not completed in 1996. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

Then slash used songs for that album in Snakepit so Axl was angry about that.

Axl wanted the new band to feel their own and have an unique voice, its been documented as hell. He said that Madagascar was the first song he wrote vocals and sang in studio since Sympathy at least, documented by himself and Pitman.

No - Slash presented the Snakepit demos to Axl in 1994

Axl rejected them and Slash released them as his first album in early 1995

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Just to clarify, the song for the Jackie Chan movie wasn't just a rumour. It was mentioned by Duff in a 1996 interview at the time when the band was reconvening in the studio for what was meant to be Slash's last sessions. This is why the association was made after Axl referred to the song (until then only known under the made up title "Checkmate") as Jackie Chan.

Of course it's possible that it's a coincidence or that Axl was joking about the Jackie Chan title. But I think it's legitimate to assume that it could be the same song Duff had mentioned.

Moreover: Iirc Tommy had said that the vault included songs that were written before the classic lineup broke up, which would see the light of the day someday. And Marc Canter said that Axl had told him in 2001 that he was thinking of using songs Slash had written on and he would have Slash play on them if he apologised. So there were songs from that time, although most likely they were not completed in 1996. 

There was a quote from Fortus where he said something to effect of, they were working on songs that Slash "planted the seed" for. So yea, it's definitely possible that parts of what became CD-era songs originated in the early-mid 90s, but I don't believe any full songs transferred over. At most, I'd think the odd riff or piece of a solo would be re-worked, aside from maybe Down By The Ocean since that was specifically mentioned by Axl in 2008.

I know Axl mentioned the possibility of having Slash play on 3 songs, but I don't know if Hardschool would've been one of them. The vocals and lyrics seem to be from after Slash left the band, so who knows how much (if any) of the song originated in those mid-90s sessions. But I would assume that even if parts of the "Jackie Chan" song ended up in Hardschool, overall they would be significantly different songs. Hardschool just doesn't really sound like something Slash would come up with, especially compared to what he was playing on the Snakepit albums.

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

There was a quote from Fortus where he said something to effect of, they were working on songs that Slash "planted the seed" for. So yea, it's definitely possible that parts of what became CD-era songs originated in the early-mid 90s, but I don't believe any full songs transferred over. At most, I'd think the odd riff or piece of a solo would be re-worked, aside from maybe Down By The Ocean since that was specifically mentioned by Axl in 2008.

I know Axl mentioned the possibility of having Slash play on 3 songs, but I don't know if Hardschool would've been one of them. The vocals and lyrics seem to be from after Slash left the band, so who knows how much (if any) of the song originated in those mid-90s sessions. But I would assume that even if parts of the "Jackie Chan" song ended up in Hardschool, overall they would be significantly different songs. Hardschool just doesn't really sound like something Slash would come up with, especially compared to what he was playing on the Snakepit albums.

Actually we were discussing this a couple of pages back in this thread with @SoulMonster and some other posters.

A theory is that the main part of HS (the verse-chorus part) without lyrics yet was written by Axl (or co-written by Axl and Huge), then worked on by Duff and Matt and then maybe Slash added guitar on it, a solo etc. Then, after Slash left, it was reworked by Finck etc with new guitar parts and Axl wrote lyrics on it - or maybe it had different lyrics initially, when it was supposed to be for the Jackie Chan movie, and then Axl replaced them with the ones of Hardschool. And maybe the lyrics changed again after that and that's why Axl referred to it with its initial working title, "Jackie Chan" and not as Hardschool. 

But, of course, all this is just speculation.

I'm so curious about it that the main reason I wanted/want them to play HS live is that Axl would have to introduce it somehow, and hopefully he would say something about its origins. :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Unreleased songs with vocals that have leaked:

Hardschool

Atlas Shrugged

Perhaps

State of Grace

Eye on You

Quick Song (only guide vocals - no lyrics)

Nothing (same line repeated)

Silkworms

Going Down (Tommy Stinson vocals)

Tommy Demo #1 (Tommy Stinson vocals)

Knocking On Heaven's Door 

--------

Leaked rough mixes with vocals of songs that made CD:

Chinese Democracy

The Blues

Catcher In The Rye

Madagascar

TWAT