2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

39 minutes ago, Creed said:

dont forget fall to pieces. the riff is from the 1996? sessions as well. and yeah, i know. it was actually used in one of the yesterdays demo as well.

Wow, I’m surprised that I never noticed that, but you’re right! The FTP intro is pretty similar to the intro from the Rumbo demo of Yesterdays. 

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Actually we were discussing this a couple of pages back in this thread with @SoulMonster and some other posters.

A theory is that the main part of HS (the verse-chorus part) without lyrics yet was written by Axl (or co-written by Axl and Huge), then worked on by Duff and Matt and then maybe Slash added guitar on it, a solo etc. Then, after Slash left, it was reworked by Finck etc with new guitar parts and Axl wrote lyrics on it - or maybe it had different lyrics initially, when it was supposed to be for the Jackie Chan movie, and then Axl replaced them with the ones of Hardschool. And maybe the lyrics changed again after that and that's why Axl referred to it with its initial working title, "Jackie Chan" and not as Hardschool. 

But, of course, all this is just speculation.

I'm so curious about it that the main reason I wanted/want them to play HS live is that Axl would have to introduce it somehow, and hopefully he would say something about its origins. :lol: 

Yeah, we know the band (Axl, Duff, Matt), in 1996, worked on a song intended for a Jackie Chan movie. Who actually came up with the riff is unknown (maybe Axl, maybe Slash in the sporadic sessions in 1994, maybe Paul). Obviously, the song never ended up in any Jackie Chan movies. The lyrics were likely either written, or re-written, after Slash's departure since they do seem to be about Axl's disappointment with Slash's decisions. In 2008 Axl referred to Hard School (then known in fan communities as Checkmate) as Jackie Chan, with some fans dismissing this as a joke. It is a weird type of joke to make and I find it much more likely he still remembered the song by its original working title Jackie Chan.

Btw, Axl was a big Jackie Chan fan.

• Like 1

Rumble In The Bronx was released 2/23/1996 in the US, which would place it firmly in the "time when Axl hated Slash" period:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_in_the_Bronx

New Line Cinema edit
New Line Cinema acquired the film for international distribution and commissioned a new music score and English dub (with participation from Jackie Chan). A scene of Keung's airplane flying into John F. Kennedy International Airport was added to the opening credits. Three scenes were added exclusively for the international version: a shot of the syndicate's car pulling up to the diamond deal, Keung and Nancy escaping from the nightclub after the bikers spot them together, and White Tiger taking a golf shot before a subordinate approaches him with his phone. None of these scenes were in the original Hong Kong release. In comparison to the Hong Kong version, 17 minutes of cuts were made, and the new English dub changed some of the context of the characters' conversations. Keung being a cop and having a girlfriend in Hong Kong is never mentioned. Keung's father being shot by a robber years ago is also not mentioned. In the New Line Cinema edit, Elaine buys the grocery store upon her first meeting with Uncle Bill, but in the Hong Kong version, she decides to buy the market at Bill's wedding.

The new soundtrack replaced Chan's song over the closing credits with the song "Kung Fu" by the band Ash, the lyrics of which mention Jackie Chan, as well as other Asian figures and characters ubiquitous in the west.

I betcha that closing credit song was supposed to be "Hard School" at one point (or Axl submitted Hard School for consideration and the producers chose "Kung Fu" instead)

Here's the credits:

11 minutes ago, TheSeeker said:

Rumble In The Bronx was released 2/23/1996 in the US, which would place it firmly in the "time when Axl hated Slash" period:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_in_the_Bronx

This doesn't fit the timeline though, because the interview Duff mentioned it was on July 25, 1996 and he referred to it as something they were about to record.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

This doesn't fit the timeline though, because the interview Duff mentioned it was on July 25, 1996 and he referred to it as something they were about to record.

Had to be Mr. Nice Guy then - it was released 1/31/1997 worldwide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Nice_Guy_(1997_film)

So they probably recorded Hard School for it, but Axl pulled the song after Slash quit in October 1996

EDIT: I just pulled up Mr. Nice Guy on a bootleg site and the end credits are almost EXACTLY 4:12 long, which is the same length as Hard School!

Edited by TheSeeker
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

Im glad these didnt leak before the album... i would been very disipointed about the album... like the song chinese democracy.,. Much better raw ..and alot more tracks that should been on the album if you ask me....but im glad Now... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wrolk said:

Im glad these didnt leak before the album... i would been very disipointed about the album... like the song chinese democracy.,. Much better raw ..and alot more tracks that should been on the album if you ask me....but im glad Now... 

I think Axl musically lost sight of the initial idea. It's especially noticeable when I listen to Catcher, but it's almost on every Chinese track there are some elements that detract from the core idea of the song. I like the official version, it's not all bad.

Some additions did elevate the songs, especially Bucket's contributions imo, but after listening to this year's leaks, it's clear a lot of the tunes had a certain feel to them which was lost. Tommy got fucked, and the album must have been a real nightmare to mix. Zutaut was right. Josh's drums were brilliant and it's a real shame about Tommy's work cause it's cool as hell on the leaks. Riad was 10 times more powerful.

Chinese Democracy the song was much more powerful as well and to the point. I like both versions equally. Bucket's solo after Robin is great like everything he is playing here, but the verses could have benefited from Tommy's bass just thumping away and then the guitars could come in for the chorus in full blast. Kinda like a Nirvana song with a quiet/loud dynamic.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Had to be Mr. Nice Guy then - it was released 1/31/1997 worldwide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Nice_Guy_(1997_film)

So they probably recorded Hard School for it, but Axl pulled the song after Slash quit in October 1996

EDIT: I just pulled up Mr. Nice Guy on a bootleg site and the end credits are almost EXACTLY 4:12 long, which is the same length as Hard School!

Obsessed in seeing what isnt there, oh my

17 minutes ago, Bucketdude_666 said:

Obsessed in seeing what isnt there, oh my

On 12/1/2019 at 12:19 PM, Bucketdude_666 said:

Hardschool and Oklahoma/Berlin are from 1998-1999 wheter you like it or not

Oklahoma City Bombing happened in April 1995, friend

So you're saying Axl waited 3-4 years to write an instrumental song about it?

Really?

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 12:40 AM, jackparker123 said:

When exactly did we last receive communication from The Chairman?

It's not looking great for further leaks now is it?

If we don't hear anything from him by the time the Christmas period is over and done with it's safe to assume he's done.

I miss the chairman

It is probably one of the ''New Line jobs''. New Line were acquiring the rights to Jackie Chan films from the mid '90s onwards, dubbing them (with Jackie himself), re-scoring and re-editing them for American audiences. Jackie himself was filming in a lot in places like Vancouver and Melbourne so it was a real push by him to target western audiences. You have Rumble in the Bronx which is the best of the bunch, First Strike (Police Story 4) and Mr Nice Guy

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 2/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, TheSeeker said:

Really?

I hope you’re just playing because you know shit about doing a record i guess. Just bcause the INSTRUMENTAL is called that way, doesnt mean the lyrics are about that as Axl himself said it was renamed to Berlin, as with lyrics.

Also Shacklers was named by Buckethead, Brain and Scaturro in Giant Robot, then used in guns, whose lyrics are about Another shooting else Axl liked years after.

On 12/2/2019 at 12:27 PM, TheSeeker said:

Really?

Axl wrote the lyrics during the lawsuit with Erin/Stephanie. He said the bombing just happened, so many innocent people hurt, and all those woman cared about was making him suffer

47 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Axl wrote the lyrics during the lawsuit with Erin/Stephanie. He said the bombing just happened, so many innocent people hurt, and all those woman cared about was making him suffer

That was never confirmed - in 2000 the track was still an instrumental when Axl played it for a Rolling Stone reporter

Almost finished compiling my 2000 Intentions album after meticulously listening and comparing the multiple versions of songs from most recent leaks. 

However, often found myself turning up the volume, (song volume levels differ) and find my ears are ringing. 

Did anybody use a programme to conform the song levels/volumes? 

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. 

29 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Almost finished compiling my 2000 Intentions album after meticulously listening and comparing the multiple versions of songs from most recent leaks. 

However, often found myself turning up the volume, (song volume levels differ) and find my ears are ringing. 

Did anybody use a programme to conform the song levels/volumes? 

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. 

I used to use a program called MP3Gain for that. I'm not sure if there are better programs now, but that's what I used. If nothing else, you might Google that program first and see if it's still a good one to use. 

Did anyone else notice the amplitude range for the KOHD acoustic leak is much lower for the right channel than the left? I balanced them out with an audio editor and it seems to sound much, much better.

Not sure if this was deliberate or a mistake when the file was created. Every other leak I opened in the editor was already balanced between both channels.