2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

I believe Slash wouldn't want a new album where he would only rework stuff made by some former guys. He's the chief guitarist, and even if Axl will only use his old CD lyrics, the least they could do is let Slash create his own music to it, without having heard the original tunes first. The first single should be a statement of a sort. It should. Like, this is us, now. We're back. 

it's Gn'R, it would be foolish to not let Slash contribute riffs and full instrumentals of his own imo and I think it's possible Slash cares more about the quality of a potential album in Gn'R that his name is associated with. If Slash's solos will suck and it won't match or come close to even the best Chinese guitar work I'm guessing that could damage his reputation.

always possible Slash doesn't give a fuck but I feel like he gave it a real try with Contraband and with MJ's Give In To Me so why not with Axl.

Edited by Rovim

14 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Heres a random thought I’ve had: maybe Slash has found it hard to pop the SMKC bubble? Is that why he went back to it in 2018? Or maybe it truly is hard to write with Axl

I think Slash, much like Myles, doesn't have any problem of switching back and forth between different projects and bands. Gn'R and SMKC come with their own different advantages (and not just money with Gn'R imo)

15 hours ago, Rovim said:

it's Gn'R, it would be foolish to not let Slash contribute riffs and full instrumentals of his own imo and I think it's possible Slash cares more about the quality of a potential album in Gn'R that his name is associated with. If Slash's solos will suck and it won't match or come close to even the best Chinese guitar work I'm guessing that could damage his reputation.

always possible Slash doesn't give a fuck but I feel like he gave it a real try with Contraband and with MJ's Give In To Me so why not with Axl.

I assume Slash is completely rewriting everything. The new Hardschool intro sounds nothing like the old one, only the drums seem to be the same arrangement.

1 minute ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I assume Slash is completely rewriting everything. The new Hardschool intro sounds nothing like the old one, only the drums seem to be the same arrangement.

it's likely Slash will rerecord all the solos on existing Chinese material (if used) and also rerecord riffs with Fortus but it's difficult to guess if he'll just completely rewrite everything. Like for example, if Slash returned to Gn'R before Axl released the song Chinese Democracy, don't you think it would have been possible for Slash to just rerecord the main riffs with his sound but more or less the same notes?

maybe some parts will be a complete rewrite by Slash but some will still remain intact, the composition will be the same. I like how Slash plays the HardSchool intro.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

it's likely Slash will rerecord all the solos on existing Chinese material (if used) and also rerecord riffs with Fortus but it's difficult to guess if he'll just completely rewrite everything. Like for example, if Slash returned to Gn'R before Axl released the song Chinese Democracy, don't you think it would have been possible for Slash to just rerecord the main riffs with his sound but more or less the same notes?

maybe some parts will be a complete rewrite by Slash but some will still remain intact, the composition will be the same. I like how Slash plays the HardSchool intro.

Possible yes, but I'm not sure Slash would want to. I think he would want to write his own riffs. I think this is what Axl meant at China Exchange when he said he wanted to start with lyrics and melody, and that Slash could either "play on it" or "write something". I think that translates to: "I'm keeping the lyrics and melodies I already wrote, Slash can either play Robin/Bucket's parts or rewrite them, I don't really care".  Of course that's just my interpretation. 

2 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Possible yes, but I'm not sure Slash would want to. I think he would want to write his own riffs. I think this is what Axl meant at China Exchange when he said he wanted to start with lyrics and melody, and that Slash could either "play on it" or "write something". I think that translates to: "I'm keeping the lyrics and melodies I already wrote, Slash can either play Robin/Bucket's parts or rewrite them, I don't really care".  Of course that's just my interpretation. 

yeah idk. What if there's some really killer riffs already recorded and Axl will want Slash to just be a part of it. Big part so maybe that will be enough for Slash plus giving him space on the record to come up with his own riffs too. No way of knowing of course.

I'm really curious how exactly Axl and Slash will choose to approach this interesting situation of existing material that Slash and Duff said they liked and how Axl will find a balance between respecting the strongest Chinese material and giving Slash creative freedom (which is crucial imo when it comes to any Gn'R release)

I've been a little out of the loop with the leaks. There were a couple of batches right? I know the good folks in charge don't want anybody hinting for links, but does anyone simply have a list of all the song titles? Judging from recent discussion it sounds like there were way more leaks that I thought.

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

I've been a little out of the loop with the leaks. There were a couple of batches right? I know the good folks in charge don't want anybody hinting for links, but does anyone simply have a list of all the song titles? Judging from recent discussion it sounds like there were way more leaks that I thought.

Off the top of my head:

Actual songs:

Hardschool, Atlas, State of Grace, Eye On You, Silkworms, Perhaps

Instrumentals:

Oklahoma, Quick Song, Zodiac

Other: early Shackler's instrumental, clean old Catcher, early versions of almost all existing CD songs. Plus instrumentals like Devious Bastard, D Tune, Curly Shuffle, Inside Out, Three Dollar Pyramid (Better), early Going Down and another Tommy demo. 

43 minutes ago, Faxl Rows said:

Off the top of my head:

Actual songs:

Instrumentals:

Other: early Shackler's instrumental, clean old Catcher, early versions of almost all existing CD songs. Plus instrumentals like Devious Bastard, D Tune, Curly Shuffle, Inside Out, Three Dollar Pyramid (Better), early Going Down and another Tommy demo. 

Thanks! So it seems to be the "other" stuff that I was seeing discussed. Despite listening to Chinese Democracy a billion times I always find it fascinating to revisit the leaks from time to time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faxl Rows said:

Off the top of my head:

Actual songs:

Instrumentals:

Me & My Elvis (Soul Monster) is probably the best instrumental, and Knockin' On Heavens Door (acoustic) is cool to hear.

I wish we got more 2001 demos, they sound better than the Rough Mixes demos from 2000, especially Atlas. I like the little intro on Quick Song, too.

3 hours ago, Faxl Rows said:

Off the top of my head:

Actual songs:

Instrumentals:

forgot

Nothin'

The acoustic KOHD is interesting just to hear that era of Axl Rose and his take on it, you can tell with it he was trying hard to reinvent aspects of even the older performed songs with this but it sounds like this experiment didn't fully take, seeing as the actual slowed versions they would do live were quite a bit different groove-wise

I'm seeing that it looks like MOST of the leaks were instrumentals? Which songs had vocals, Chinese ones that we already had included? Its interesting to hear, although most of the instrumentals I'll delete after once because, if it doesn't have Axl, its really got no REAL GNR people on it. Which is fine, I'm enjoying listening to these just to hear where Axl's head was at at the time. And the band sounds good. But just wondering what the percentage of the full leak package was vocals vs. non (like did only 20% of it have vocals)?

27 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

But just wondering what the percentage of the full leak package was vocals vs. non (like did only 20% of it have vocals)?

Not counting multiple versions of the same songs, there was 42 songs (I think?) and 17 had Axl vocals. So about 40%

Edited by Gordon Comstock