2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Just now, Gnrfan2001 said:

Going Down left the strongest impression on me.

I woke up wanting to listen to it again.

Of course, CD, Riad, and Prostitute are all incredible with Josh Freese and a better mix. 

Just lined up both versions of going down to see if I could get axls vocals on this new version,

Both versions are diff tempos but with some chopping up and stretching bits out here n there it sounds good.

5 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

So the 1999 era songs have leaked?

It's a mix of the Sean Beaven produced album with Josh Freese on Drums, and Roy Thomas Baker.  But indeed, what has leaked is the version of the album that should have come out in 2002, and in my opinion, the strongest version by far.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

Man, I find it hard to believe some people are seriously accusing Bob Ezrin for CD's fate. How long did Bob Ezrin last as a producer? How many producers did Axl go through? After Bob Ezrin's input, how long did it take Axl to release his album? 8 years? Long after Ezrin was gone, "soon [was] not the word".

Besides, I don't remember his advise being "just keep the same vocal tracks, basically the same songs, add even more layers of shit on top, add another guitarist, and keep tinkering for a decade or so". If anything he thought the whole thing was too disjointed and overlaboured. Maybe he thought he was talking to a stable, first-class professional musician and band leader who could rework and simplify some songs, bring more cohesion, freshness and focus to the whole project and perhaps write a rocker or two  with some chance of getting some radio airplay. Nothing a guy that had fronted the biggest band in the world for years couldn't do in a few months of hard work.

If Axl had had any conviction or trust in his own vision (or any coherent vision to begin with), he would've pushed through and the record would've come out in 2000 or 2001, 2002 tops. Blaming any of the myriad of producers, record-company execs or band members that came and went is silly. If it hadn't been Bob's brief stint, it would've been sth else - Bucket joining, Bucket leaving, Finck leaving, Finck re-joinging, the new drummer has to re-record things just as they were, the new drummer has to re-record them his way, the record-company doesn't want it out, the record company wants to rush it, there is not enough material, there is too much material, etc., etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Slash and Duff were forced to work around vocal tracks that are decades old for their next project. Just surreal. And Axl was said to have recorded them in about a week... Imagine if he had put in two weeks! We could've had Rock the Rock in 2003 tops.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I believe the percussive guitar in Prostitute (where the solos should've been) are from Buckethead's killswitch. Who knows.

I dont think thats the killswitch. Sounds more like what Dave Kushner played on the intro of Slither.

Im not a guitar player so i dont know what the technique is.

4 minutes ago, Mendez said:

first part is robin 2nd part is bucket. Its the same solo as it was on the antiquiet version

Solo from 2:22 onwards is definately Buckethead's. You can hear it easily from the guitar tone. Then Buckethead begins his killswitch mayhem from 3.00 min

3 minutes ago, rebeldhipi said:

I dont think thats the killswitch. Sounds more like what Dave Kushner played on the intro of Slither.

Im not a guitar player so i dont know what the technique is.

You can do something somewhat similar in a regular les paul guitar (like Slash's one) by just turning down the volume of one of the pickups. But it's just not possible to sound as fast as a real killswitch, which is what Bucket uses. But then again, it's not Bucket's invention, and it could be something in the post-production/mixing stages.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, marinergtfc said:

So the ‘99 (leaked so far) album goes something like this in, no particular order

chinese

the blues

hardschool

prostitute

going down

twat

irs

catcher w/ brian may

rhiad

...what other songs would be on the ‘99 version?

Atlas (w/ May), Perhaps (w/ May), Silkworms (old chorus version), and (technically) the old single-version of OMG.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

Man, I find it hard to believe some people are seriously accusing Bob Ezrin for CD's fate. How long did Bob Ezrin last as a producer? How many producers did Axl go through? After Bob Ezrin's input, how long did it take Axl to release his album? 8 years? Long after Ezrin was gone, "soon [was] not the word".

Besides, I don't remember his advise being "just keep the same vocal tracks, basically the same songs, add even more layers of shit on top, add another guitarist, and keep tinkering for a decade or so". If anything he thought the whole thing was too disjointed and overlaboured. Maybe he thought he was talking to a stable, first-class professional musician and band leader who could rework and simplify some songs, bring more cohesion, freshness and focus to the whole project and perhaps write a rocker or two  with some chance of getting some radio airplay. Nothing a guy that had fronted the biggest band in the world for years couldn't do in a few months of hard work.

If Axl had had any conviction or trust in his own vision (or any coherent vision to begin with), he would've pushed through and the record would've come out in 2000 or 2001, 2002 tops. Blaming any of the myriad of producers, record-company execs or band members that came and went is silly. If it hadn't been Bob's brief stint, it would've been sth else - Bucket joining, Bucket leaving, Finck leaving, Finck re-joinging, the new drummer has to re-record things just as they were, the new drummer has to re-record them his way, the record-company doesn't want it out, the record company wants to rush it, there is not enough material, there is too much material, etc., etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Slash and Duff were forced to work around vocal tracks that are decades old for their next project. Just surreal. And Axl was said to have recorded them in about a week... Imagine if he had put in two weeks! We could've had Rock the Rock in 2003 tops.

1. UMG had to accept the record and keep funding/allow Axl to continue recording. They aren’t exactly at no fault here

2. They brought in Roy Thomas Baker to re-record a lot of what was there. Ezrin was never a producer. He gave the songs a listen and gave his opinion 

3. You’re underestimating the low handed objectives of labels at the top. Relationships and favors. If they wanted Slash back in the fold to sell records, having a guy that Axl would listen/respect like Bob Ezrin say that the songs arent done is def an avenue they’d go down. That’s not beneath them. 

4. The songs sound finished. They didn’t need re-recording or 5 guitar layers added upon them. This could very well had been an elaborate stand off between Axl and the label. Keep giving him money and he’ll just keep tinkering with it as a big FU after they wouldn’t support his vision. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, El Nono Pololo said:

So much things I'd like to counter here.

When you say Axl recorded this in a week, it's like when someone told Picasso "hey it only took you two minutes to draw this", and Picasso answered "no, it took me 50 years".

Laying vocals down is not just a matter of the time it took you to record. It's a matter of how long it took you to be in the state of mind to record it, to think it, to anticipate it, to feel it. To feel physically capable of doing it. To feel that you are at the top of your game. That now is the exact right moment to record it. It's so much harder that what any people know or think they know.

And you also have to add the experience, the time it took to get to this talent, to this moment.

And the time it took to write the lyrics down, to think the lyrics, everything man.

You can't just wrap this up stating "oh, it just took Axl one week to record".

And one week of vocal work is actually a lot. I don't know how long Axl actually took, but I can tell you that just one day of vocal work, repeating the same words over and over to get to the "perfect" version, is fucking exhausting. It drains everything you got.

As for the producers & stories, I'd actually like to know more on the subject. But whoever told Axl the material was not good enough is retarded. It was what Axl was about at this moment in time. It was his art. You can't compromise art. You can't just go to an artist and tell him "oh, you know man, it's not good enough, you have to do this & that". Who the fuck are those people to think they know any goddamn shit? It's for Axl & the band to feel it, and for the public to judge. 

Those leaks are fucking unreal.