2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

2 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

It'd be neat if they did have something planned for the next Terminator flick.  Since this film is being sold as a direct sequel to T2, it'd make sense to bring GNR along for the ride.  If that's the case, then they'd absolutely play it at the upcoming shows. I've been holding out hope that this is the Slash was doing at Axl's studio last spring.

It would make too much sense for GNR.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, D.. said:

You are a true fan man. Always thought so.

I've had a hard time accepting Axl reuniting. As of now, I don't care for it. Like, I don't give a fuck about the reunion and I have little faith in the upcoming album on technical terms. I'm sure Axl will sound great and I will listen to it day one, but I think the instrumental will be disappointing if Bucket & Robin are left out.

I know it will sound crazy to some people who are more into the appearance than into the true quality of things, but I really don't care for Slash & Duff. I really have no faith in their abilities to write quality material as of 2019. They were relevant in the 80's/early 90's. But times have changed.

Some people will call me crazy but Hard School, as far as I'm concerned, blows away anything I've heard from Slash & Duff material-wise in the last 10 years.

I love the old school GN'R material, but I have to admit I love the CD material more. I'm just very sensitive to Bucket & Robin's abilities, and I find it miraculous those two were ever in the band at the same time, with fucking Axl Rose fronting that band. How crazy is that? Like really? Robin is kicking asses with NIN, but Axl > Trent any fucking day. And I absolutely LOVE Trent. No bias. He's an amazing musician, vocalist and writer. He's even superior to Axl in some ways. But Axl as a whole, is the fucking real deal. 

I really consider Robin & Bucket as better musicians than Slash & Duff, by far.

I remember Axl saying at some point all of this was like comparing football or basketball teams from a certain era and everyone's gonna have their favorite. He was completely spot on. It's exactly what I'm feeling. I've always rooted for a certain CD lineup (with Buckethead & Robin, and now I even prefer having Josh Freese on the drums over Brian Mantia, crazy).

Also, the lyrics, the words... they have a meaning. I don't buy those CD songs when Axl sings them with Slash & Duff. It's obvious to me a lot of what he's written on CD was directed to Slash & Duff. So it makes absolutely no sense to hear Axl sing some CD tracks live next to Slash & Duff, especially a song like "Sorry".

Then again, I'm happy Axl settled things with Slash. It's cool. It gives the right message to a lot of people. For that alone, the reunion had to happen as the world is getting stranger and crazier every day.

But from a pure musical point of view... I feel Axl needed to be angry & disappointed & betrayed to write his best lyrics and sing his best. Just being honest here, I know it sounds harsh.

He's at his best when he's depressed. Which is the case of any true artist. You only write your best material when there's a urge, when you're fucked, when you're desperate, when you're anything but happy.

Given what he's given to us, I prefer for him to be happy and be given mediocre material than the contrary, obviously. But I really hope we get the CD vault at some point. Seems more interesting than anything upcoming/new. And I really don't want to hear Slash replacing Bucket parts, please. He won't cut it. He doesn't have the talent.

And more than that, Slash has been a fucking liar for years. I won't forgive that personally. He has no guts. I can't dissociate the artist from the human being. He's trash.

This is the post.

100% agree with you

11 hours ago, Towelie said:

Do we know anything about the writing credits for Hard School? 

If i had to guess it would be with Freese and maybe Tommy.

Josh said in a interview that he wrote 3 songs for chinese. The title track. And two others that went to the b-list or c-list.

The song has  a punk rock wibe similiar to cd and other songs Josh has in his solo albums

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I would love to see Axl writing his vocal lines a bit differently on new material. Fewer words, more organic. Stuff you can sing in a live situation without killing yourself. 

And they should definately shorten the live shows, it's all too bloated anyway.

If you think a GNR show is bloated then try watching Wrestlemania for 7 hours. As cool as it was to attend a Wrestlemania show at MetLife Stadium, it was too long. That definitely needed to be cut back, especially since the WWE does not have the stars of the 80s, 90, and 00s. 

The GNR shows that I attended for the NITL tour was just right. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rebeldhipi said:

If i had to guess it would be with Freese and maybe Tommy.

Josh said in a interview that he wrote 3 songs for chinese. The title track. And two others that went to the b-list or c-list.

The song has  a punk rock wibe similiar to cd and other songs Josh has in his solo albums

A list/B list didn't refer to quality. A list was finished with vocals. B list was songs that were still being worked on, be it no vocals or still adding instrumentation. 

6 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

I swear to God Axl could just put out his favorite version tomorrow on Bandcamp, and we would all buy it this is so fucking stupid. We just want the fucking music because we are fans why is this so fucking hard you wouldn't need to sue everyone if you just put out music.

UMG would have something to say about that. They need to agree to release it and it won’t be on Bandcamp 

22 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The soundtrack version is just a demo that the label forced out as a means of showing everyone “hey people, GnR still exists!”

there is a higher-quality version with some extra effects, a new lead guitar track from bumble, and a “stripped down” bridge where axl’s vocals are just over a drum machine loop and nothing else. It leaked last year.

Thanks.  I thought the OMG version leaked in 2018 was poorer quality than the original demo.

Hard School doesn't prove anything (when it comes to a second album with Big Guns on it). It is a rough demo at best. The song has potential, but isn't finished at all.

Atlas is just 1 minute of a song we don't know how the rest sounds and if it is even finished. It has a CITR vibe imo.

People who think Slash and Duff haven't released anything good after GnR are crazy. Velvet Revolver's first record, Contraband, is amazing.

A ballad like Fall To Pieces is just as good - if not better - than anything on Chinese.

And the rockers on that album, like Slither, just blow songs like IRS completely away.

This is why the original Guns N Roses was so amazing, they had all this talent combined in one band.

And don't forget about Izzy...

Of course this is just my opinion.

The really weird part is... I like NiN, I like Marilyn Manson, you would think I would like a more alternative sounding Axl... but I liked him more as a classic rock singer.

I'd rather have another AFD or UYI than a departure from it.

His lower vocal register was nice back in the day... it had a lot of emotion in it, was bluesy... and then he would scream at some point and it fitted the songs.

But nowadays... I feel like he is pushing himself too much. Writing songs which are impossible to sing.

Axl sounded great with AC/DC because the songs are easier.

Keep it simple Axl!

That's my message in a nutshell.

I would probably love a simple acoustic album with Axl, Slash and Duff. Like Seether did, with One Cold Night.

Chinese is way overproduced, and it wrecks the potential the songs had. I loved CITR with Brian May on it, but just hate the album version with Bumble.

TWAT is butchered also, with weird sounding intro and what not.

These songs could have been amazing... but I hardly listen to them anymore because of this.

But I still love VR's Contraband after all these years..

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 4

These leaks are making me sad and angry. This would've been SO good in 2000/2001.

Imagine releasing 3 albums of this shit in 2000 like they did with UYI in '91. HO. LY. SHIT. 

Fuck everybody who turned this shit down. 

As for Going Down - I love it but it's not a GnR song. It's a Tommy song. It would've been perfect on Village Gorilla Head or One Man Mutiny. Love both those albums.

Edited by username

On 1/09/2019 at 5:48 AM, rocknroll41 said:

Speaking of relying on older material, I wonder if that new rumor is true that there will be like four or five new studio songs lumped with an NITL live album at the end of this year. Would sorta fit with the “EP at the end of the year” rumor from earlier. If that ends up being true, it would mean that the band and/or label feels more comfortable releasing this new stuff alongside Jungle, Sweet Child, and Paradise City.

Could the EP rumour fit in with Terminator movie soundtrack song?

On 03/09/2019 at 5:02 AM, rocknroll41 said:

there is a higher-quality version with some extra effects, a new lead guitar track from bumble, and a “stripped down” bridge where axl’s vocals are just over a drum machine loop and nothing else. It leaked last year.

It wasn't a drum machine loop? And it definitely isn't a 'ska section' either (as I've seen suprisingly many people refer to it) - it's a disco beat/guitar riff, just like on the released version.

9 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Thanks.  I thought the OMG version leaked in 2018 was poorer quality than the original demo.

It is. The leaked OMG is a VERY rough mix that is nowhere near finished. Comments to the contrary are just about personal preference with regards to it being more stripped-down (nothing wrong with that btw). Axl himself said it was a re-record that wasn't taken too seriously.