2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

I'm really dissapointed. AS, HS, Silkworms, and the rest of CD demos.... All of them but maybe a few ones are really low-mid average comparing to other bands/albums, and not to mention if you compare them to classic GNR.

From CD album, under my humble opinion, only better, SR, SOD, CITR and Prostitute could fit with the legacy of classic GNR. But recording them in other way.

I think i read a long time ago that the label didn't like what Axl recorded. Now i understand why.

If you take different songs of the other guys during their solo albums and some VR songs you make an album much better than CD.

As a hardcore fan i listen leaks and i feel very curious about what Axl has in the vault.

But right now i only hope if they release new music Slash, Duff, Axl etc start composing from zero. Cause the leaks of what we call 'CD II' are very dissapointed for me.

Just my opinion mates. Don't kill me! 

Edited by doctorsapiens
  • Haha 1

I’ve just seen the list of things from the locker there’s 4 CDs of material “rough mixes” dated March-Nov 2000. Quite surprised that they feature Shacklers, I’m Sorry and If the world. Looks like that’s when all the songwriting was finished then.

Also looking at the dates looks like it could well be Bucket on that outro shredding in hardschool as it’s dated Nov. I’m assuming that’s the version that leaked out. Whereas the other things I think are from the old Josh/Brian comparison CD. 

So if the dates are correct it really does look as though bucket came on board, added a few songs and tried to get the thing wrapped up.

2 minutes ago, life_247 said:

I’ve just seen the list of things from the locker there’s 4 CDs of material “rough mixes” dated March-Nov 2000. Quite surprised that they feature Shacklers, I’m Sorry and If the world. Looks like that’s when all the songwriting was finished then.

Also looking at the dates looks like it could well be Bucket on that outro shredding in hardschool as it’s dated Nov. I’m assuming that’s the version that leaked out. Whereas the other things I think are from the old Josh/Brian comparison CD. 

So if the dates are correct it really does look as though bucket came on board, added a few songs and tried to get the thing wrapped up.

It is definitely Bucket on the outro 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

It all comes out eventually.

The thing I don't understand is Rose could have put out an attractive boxset: charged maybe £60-80 for a four-five disc ''Chinese Leftovers'' set and thrown in a nice book with detailed recording session notes - none of the shite that was thrown in the Appetite boxset such as fake tattoos. It certainly would have turned a profit, marketed as it would be at the hardcore fans and manufactured in small numbers. All that has happened instead of this scenario - and will continue to happen - is this ''Zutat horde'' will trickle out by MP3. Rose in otherwords witnesses his jealously guarded life's work exposed irrespective of his own inclinations and he doesn't make a penny from any of it!

He could have pulled the rug from under the leakers and horders with a release which was genuinely exciting and well put together. What an imbecile haha.

Missed opportunity

38 minutes ago, Arnuld said:

Also I’m not sure the “numbers” leak of 99 Josh takes is from the list of stuff from the locker - different source possibly?

(May of been discussed before - I’ve been a touch late to the party on these as not much had been going on other general rumblings about a new album)

1 hour ago, life_247 said:

Also I’m not sure the “numbers” leak of 99 Josh takes is from the list of stuff from the locker - different source possibly?

(May of been discussed before - I’ve been a touch late to the party on these as not much had been going on other general rumblings about a new album)

the main problem here is that you need to do more research. 

Josh of course was the sole drummer during 1999 - basically he drummed exclusively on "The Beavan Album".

but after the Beavan album got unreleased, they started recording again and Josh did the drum tracks again, finishing on or before March 18 2000. 

and I'm willing to bet that almost every Josh track from this locker actually is from that era = drums from first 3 months of 2000, with some older exceptions (like the TWAT "old Beaven mix", which probably really is from 1999).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arnuld said:

Not only Bucket. That's clearly two lead guitars, Bucket and Robin. It's a mess, but not unlike the ending of TWAT.

3 hours ago, life_247 said:

A lot of the 99 leaks sound like they are quite heavily processed by tuning and in some places especially when Axl picks up the vocal pace it’s too much and produces those robotic artefacts. Normally you’d go back once you’d finished all the takes and tweak those points to stop it happening but to my ear these songs have the vocal tuning working quite hard and hasn’t been tweaked to fit the song. One side effect of this is sometimes the robotic sound of the voice and a general loss vocal clarity (it’s harder to pick out the lyrics)

I would like to know where exactly you think Axl sounds autotuned in those demos. I can hear a lot of filters (like this abrasive envelope used in Madagascar), but those are intentional, not just "artefacts" or leftovers from the autotune reconstruction. 

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Yep.

Radiohead found themselves in a situation recently where someone was trying to sell a bunch of demos from OK Computer. Their immediate reaction was to gather up the best sounding versions of the same material and release it online for an extremely reasonable price. 

The hoarder(s) got fucked. The fans got "new-ish" tracks to listen to. The band made a little unexpected money. Win, win, win. Right? 

I will always remain stunned and sadly amazed that things can't go that way in GNR-land. Instead of things happening like the Radiohead situation, we have to deal with bullshit like this locker thing. Then we have to wait around while everyone (the hoarders) attempt to make every penny they can off of someone else's work,fucking over the fans and the band in the process. 

Things could be SO much better and different for GNR fans if the organization wasn't run the way it is. I realize that starts from the top down, so I'm throwing Axl right in there with everyone else who's responsible for such a mess. 

I’m having a really hard time feeling bad for anyone about the Zutaut leaks. These recordings are nearly 20 years old and could have been released any number of ways since Chinese came out...11 years ago. But they didn’t. I don’t know how they thought this *wouldn’t* happen eventually.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I’m having a really hard time feeling bad for anyone about the Zutaut leaks. These recordings are nearly 20 years old and could have been released any number of ways since Chinese came out...11 years ago. But they didn’t. I don’t know how they thought this *wouldn’t* happen eventually.

No one should feel bad for anyone in this whole deal except for the GNR fans 

Edit-

I worded that poorly. I mean to say that GNR fans are the only people who deserve sympathy. 

• Like 4

One thing occurred to me the other day regarding the writing credits. It’s entirely plausible that Axl would veto songs due to certain ex band members involvement. For example, could you really see Axl wanting to give Chris Pitman any writing credits on the next GNR album?

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, Towelie said:

One thing occurred to me the other day regarding the writing credits. It’s entirely plausible that Axl would veto songs due to certain ex band members involvement. For example, could you really see Axl wanting to give Chris Pitman any writing credits on the next GNR album?

Yep. Also believe this will weigh heavily into what they use from that era. Luckily I believe The General is an Axl/Brain composition.

Edited by sofine11

9 minutes ago, Towelie said:

These people were on salaries though, right? I wonder if Axl had a condition where they don’t receive royalties for the songs they contribute to.

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It all comes out eventually.

The thing I don't understand is Rose could have put out an attractive boxset: charged maybe £60-80 for a four-five disc ''Chinese Leftovers'' set and thrown in a nice book with detailed recording session notes - none of the shite that was thrown in the Appetite boxset such as fake tattoos. It certainly would have turned a profit, marketed as it would be at the hardcore fans and manufactured in small numbers. All that has happened instead of this scenario - and will continue to happen - is this ''Zutat horde'' will trickle out by MP3. Rose in otherwords witnesses his jealously guarded life's work exposed irrespective of his own inclinations and he doesn't make a penny from any of it!

He could have pulled the rug from under the leakers and horders with a release which was genuinely exciting and well put together. What an imbecile haha.

What upsets me the most is his work wont be in the form he wanted it released ... But after 20 years there's no one to blame but himself ..

• Sad 1

So I've been messing around a bit tonight with the files and so on, and put together a rough 'Chinese Democracy 1999' file made up from the recent leaks plus a few other bits here and there. My running order is:

Chinese Democracy (One of the two leaked this week)
Hard School 
There Was A Time
The Blues
Catcher In The Rye
Atlas Shrugged
Madagascar (2017 leak - 2001 demo?)
Going Down
Riad N' The Bedouins 
Silkworms
Oh My God (1999 End of Days version)
IRS
Prostitute (One of the two leaked this week - version 3, I think)

All of them are from this week's leaks except where noted. Think it's got a reasonable flow - two rockers to get started, then two rockier piano ballads, followed by the two more thematic songs, then Madagascar and Going Down to mellow things a little before getting into the 'industrial' side of things with Riad, Silkworms and Oh My God, then picking it up again with two final rockers to finish off and mirror the start of the album.

8 minutes ago, seely said:

So I've been messing around a bit tonight with the files and so on, and put together a rough 'Chinese Democracy 1999' file made up from the recent leaks plus a few other bits here and there. My running order is:

Chinese Democracy (One of the two leaked this week)
Hard School 
There Was A Time
The Blues
Catcher In The Rye
Atlas Shrugged
Madagascar (2017 leak - 2001 demo?)
Going Down
Riad N' The Bedouins 
Silkworms
Oh My God (1999 End of Days version)
IRS
Prostitute (One of the two leaked this week - version 3, I think)

All of them are from this week's leaks except where noted. Think it's got a reasonable flow - two rockers to get started, then two rockier piano ballads, followed by the two more thematic songs, then Madagascar and Going Down to mellow things a little before getting into the 'industrial' side of things with Riad, Silkworms and Oh My God, then picking it up again with two final rockers to finish off and mirror the start of the album.

If I'm honest I'd pull catcher, Atlas, Riad and Silkworms. Hard school just makes it through the legs of the goalie, but it's the same thing, 5 maybe 6/10 material in my opinion, not really material I'd want on my comeback album where I'm trying to prove the band is just as good as ever. I love the chorus but the whole intro, verse, bridge are forgettable. I love that they were experimenting, but not every idea is going to be great, if this is what Bob Ezrin heard I'm not totally surprised by his estimation... he should have been a bit more tactful, but then again, he's not a babysitter he was asked for his opinion as a producer.

If I was pulling songs from the proper release, Catcher, Riad and Scraped would go straight away! The intro of CD would be a track to itself so you could have the option to skip straight to when the song is about to kick in... realising this is slightly off topic :D 

4 minutes ago, CCudder said:

I've been out of the loop but have a question. Do all of the Madagascar leaks have the same vocals? Are any of them clean without the rasp like the 2001 RIR Madagascar?

All of them have the same lead vocal track on them

• Sad 1

I'm new here

I hope this is the right place to post a question like this but is anyone else skeptical of this locker story? Does anyone know if this locker was located in a building owned or used by Geffen? Or was it an off site storage locker rented by Tom? Was unfinished guns n roses material the only valuable content in the locker? Is there anyone cool like a Skwerl or a rat who is believed to have access to the content?

1 hour ago, mikemike said:

I'm new here

I hope this is the right place to post a question like this but is anyone else skeptical of this locker story? Does anyone know if this locker was located in a building owned or used by Geffen? Or was it an off site storage locker rented by Tom? Was unfinished guns n roses material the only valuable content in the locker? Is there anyone cool like a Skwerl or a rat who is believed to have access to the content?

I'm skeptical about all of this. Think about it. These songs were locked away for 18-19 years. Now in 2019, they get leaked. I'm not buying it. I'm thinking this was done on purpose to see what the interests are in Hard School and Atlas. I think one of them will be reworked and be in the Terminator movie. Hard School is definitely something that Slash would probably be interested in since it does have a You Could Be Mine feel to it. 

• Like 1