Jump to content
RussTCB

CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Recommended Posts

Just now, RedHook said:

The press not hyping leaks aint surprising. A couple reasons it is illegal, and the artist has not confirmed its even their music. 

And probably... Universal has contacted a big portion of the press, asking them to not talk about this... who knows

 

This will be our dirty little secret... for us the fans lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, default_ said:

I strongly believe huge news outlets doesnt care and doesnt feel people would be interested on 20yo GNR demos that doesnt even comes from the current lineup nor a lineup with popular members. 

NuGNR is pretty much forgotten by now. Not that they were popular before the regroup, CD just became news because of its mythcal status. 

NuGNR was widely unknown, at least here in Australia. The lack of mainstream press since the 90s meant most people didn't know what happened to the band, and then when they toured in 2007 people forked out the cash and didn't realise until later that slash wasn't even there.

its funny as a similar thing happened with ELO in the 90s, they came out here and didn't even have Jeff Lynne, pretty funny really as Jeff Lynne pretty much is ELO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I think all in all, because Rock the Rock is current and new.  It is a new and recent Axl appearance and his first major one outside of live shows since the reunion - and to do a TV cartoon show appearance like that is pretty cool

 

The leaks are mostly rough demos of songs that are on an album that didn't live up to the hype of its own legacy with a few unreleased tracks that sound not totally finished yet, by a lineup that doesn't have Slash in it. 

 

All in all, nobody besides us really cares about demos from the Chinese sessions

I think I have (respectfully) the complete opposite view.  I would agree if we were comparing a new Axl and Slash song to these old CD sessions. Rock the Rock was kind of dumb and definitely not authentically interesting rock news (at least relative to leaks of one of the most expensive and anticipated albums in the last 20 years)

Maybe looney tunes is better click bait than Chinese Democracy. That I would believe.  What a sad state of affairs for music, journalism, and Guns N’ Fucking Roses.  Sigh 

Edited by nycgunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

About newsites not doing anything. That's just how they do it now. 

A few years ago RHCP had 2 demo discs with some new songs with Frusciante leaked and one demo song with Dave Navarro. News ignored literally everything except that Navarro song cause he reacted to it on the twitter and it kinda made it legit

When you say “new songs with frusciante” I’m assuming you mean songs from like 1998-2008, right? Not actual NEW stuff, I take it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

its funny as a similar thing happened with ELO in the 90s, they came out here and didn't even have Jeff Lynne, pretty funny really as Jeff Lynne pretty much is ELO.

Wait, who was in the band then? As far as I can tell there officially wasn't an ELO from 1986 to 2000?

EDIT: Ah OK, I see there was an "ELO Part II", lol what a ripoff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELO_Part_II

Edited by Amir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Amir said:

Wait, who was in the band then? As far as I can tell there officially wasn't an ELO from 1986 to 2000?

EDIT: Ah OK, I see there was an "ELO Part II", lol what a ripoff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELO_Part_II

I have a memory of my mum going to it around 1997 and raving about it, only recently I found out it wasn't even the real ELO. Wait until I drop that news on her lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait. 

What? 

Since when does journalism have anything to do with the reporters relationship to the subject being reported on? 

Since several years ago. All the biggest music news sites are just there for press releases, interviews, reviews of albums, shows and festivals. You won't get stuff like this. I already posted how it worked with RHCP. This stuff leaked at the same time:

https://www.rhcpsessions.com/1998-teatro-demos - Tellin' A Lie, Andaman & Nicobar, Mommasan, Boatman, Plate of Brown, Sugar Sugar, Trouble in the Pub - never heard before songs recorded with Frusciante for Californication + completely different version of Californication + demos of released songs

https://www.rhcpsessions.com/20012002-by-the-way - bottom part of this page - Fall Water, Goldmine, Rock and Roll - also "new" songs with Frusciante

https://www.rhcpsessions.com/1997-album-7 - and this one song with Dave Navarro

There was 0 coverage for the first 2 and that has to be a bigger story cause Frusciante is the most important guitarist and a dude who played on all of their biggest records. But there was a ton of coverage for the 3rd one after Navarro made comments about it. Before that they didn't. Navarro's comments made that legit. Even Rolling Stone covered it. Basically imagine if tomorrow 2 songs leak. One with Slash and one with Buckethead and Buckethead comments on it "oh wow, I forgot about that one!" and news only make the Buckethead song newsworthy. We all know what's a bigger story there. Which could only mean that they won't cover leaks like that.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hear-red-hot-chili-peppers-lost-navarro-era-circle-of-the-noose-106666/

Another story. Tool album got leaked in a ridiculous fashion 5 days before the release and nobody gave coverage to that on the big music sites 

20 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

When you say “new songs with frusciante” I’m assuming you mean songs from like 1998-2008, right? Not actual NEW stuff, I take it?

Yeah. Demo discs of some sessions from Cali and BTW era got released with a lot of cool stuff. See links above :D 

 

Edited by Nicklord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

And probably... Universal has contacted a big portion of the press, asking them to not talk about this... who knows

Again: this doesnt happen. No music label contact anyone from the press to put a gag-order. This would be news by itself, by the way. We're not talking about bloggers or youtubers here.

 

24 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

I think I have (respectfully) the complete opposite view.  I would agree if we were comparing a new Axl and Slash song to these old CD sessions. Rock the Rock was kind of dumb and definitely not authentically interesting rock news (at least relative to leaks of one of the most expensive and anticipated albums in the last 20 years)

Maybe looney tunes is better click bait than Chinese Democracy. That I would believe.  What a sad state of affairs for music, journalism, and Guns N’ Fucking Roses.  Sigh 

I don't think the lack of news are because of quality or even who was in the band in those demos. It could easily serve as a clickbait like "NEW GUNS N' ROSES SONG LEAKS" and in the actual article, they could write the context. Nobody would be judgmental, it's an unheard song from a reclusive rockstar from the 80/90s. 

 

29 minutes ago, Duwz said:

I made sure to submit an article to the biggest website related to rock music in Brazil

https://whiplash.net/materias/news_751/308781-gunsnroses.html

12k clicks since yesterday, but they wouldn't put YouTube links to the songs tho

Well, your article is outdated already as Slash gave an update about a possibile new album, lol. But good job, bem legal o seu texto. :)

1 minute ago, Nicklord said:

Since several years ago. All the biggest music news sites are just there for press releases, interviews, reviews of albums, shows and festivals. You won't get stuff like this.

 

Yes, the press releases and official communications are the bulk of what they write nowadays. But there's always a Rolling Stone or Billboard journalist who would write about this if it was newsworthy - let's say, if those were David Bowie demos or something like that.

The problem with GNR in my opinion is that there were too many leaks already, and there's not a huge demand for the band right now after the 2-year semi-reunion tour. Maybe it just didnt caught their attention yet, or they thought it was old news.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why people want the media outlets to cover this.  If it gets blown up by the media, it will only increase the value of the CDs, making the songs more valuable assets of the hoarders.  If no one except us care about these leaks, then someone is more likely to leak it instead of holding out for tens of thousands of dollars.  That's my view, at least.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're probably right. I guess we just want to see everyone talking about out favorite band :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, surforia said:

Not sure why people want the media outlets to cover this.  If it gets blown up by the media, it will only increase the value of the CDs, making the songs more valuable assets of the hoarders.  If no one except us care about these leaks, then someone is more likely to leak it instead of holding out for tens of thousands of dollars.  That's my view, at least.

Very astute observation, actually! Never thought of it that way, but I think you have a point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, surforia said:

Not sure why people want the media outlets to cover this.  If it gets blown up by the media, it will only increase the value of the CDs, making the songs more valuable assets of the hoarders.  If no one except us care about these leaks, then someone is more likely to leak it instead of holding out for tens of thousands of dollars.  That's my view, at least.

I dont want the media to go all over this actually. But I do find interesting how they are not covering it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Towelie said:

It's weirdly anti-climactic for me, which is strange, because it doesn't have anything to do with the actual songs themselves. They're both good songs. Hard School is great, Atlas is really good. I like them both, but I totally know what you mean. It's hard to get the same buzz from something when you know the artist themselves didn't feel passionate enough about it to see it through. 

It's the same with the posthumous albums of MJ and Prince. I didn't even buy the last Prince one, whereas when he was alive I used to buy every new album on the day of its release. But it's not the same once that ship has sailed. 

As a GNR fan, I would like to hear music Axl Rose WANTS me to hear. I want to hear something that he is proud of enough to put out there officially. Something properly mixed and mastered, that he has taken pride in. I don't feel that way about HS or AS, which has nothing to do with the quality of the songs themselves. But these songs are outtakes, not new Guns N Roses songs. 

In fairness to prince hes dead axls not. So who knows with the mountain of songs prince had whether he would have released them officically at some point. Im hoping prince estate arnt the money hungry fuckers like the hendrix estate.

The other question is did axl release cd because he wanted to or because the record company forced his hand?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ManetsBR said:

You're probably right. I guess we just want to see everyone talking about out favorite band :( 

Trust me; no you don’t. Every time I bring up GnR to people outside of this fandom, all I hear is “Axl is never sober” and “Axl is late to everything” and “all Axl ever does is rant and start riots,” and when I try to explain to people that he’s totally different now, they don’t believe me. Then they say “he’s fat” and pull out that meme pic from 2010, thinking it was taken like yesterday or something.

the other day I was at the convenience store and the cashier had an AC/DC shirt on and I said “nice shirt, I had wanted to see them when Axl was their singer but didn’t get the chance,” and she said “I heard he showed up late to every AC/DC show and was always drunk and sounded horrible,” and we here all know that in reality it was the opposite. He was as professional as can be for AC/DC.

point is, no matter how much better Axl and GnR get now, he’s done a lot of damage to his reputation for too many years to ever 100% fix the public perception of him, so the less the general public talks about Axl/GnR in the present tense, the better imo.

EDIT: I understand that none of what I said above really matters, cause at the end of the day they still have millions of fans. NITL grossed as high as it did for a reason... it’s just sad that some people have such a warped perception of Axl and/or GnR nowadays.

Edited by rocknroll41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Trust me; no you don’t. Every time I bring up GnR to people outside of this fandom, all I hear is “Axl is never sober” and “Axl is late to everything” and “all Axl ever does is rant and start riots,” and when I try to explain to people that he’s totally different now, they don’t believe me. Then they say “he’s fat” and pull out that meme pic from 2010, thinking it was taken like yesterday or something.

the other day I was at the convenience store and the cashier had an AC/DC shirt on and I said “nice shirt, I had wanted to see them when Axl was their singer but didn’t get the chance,” and she said “I heard he showed up late to every AC/DC show and was always drunk and sounded horrible,” and we here all know that in reality it was the opposite. He was as professional as can be for AC/DC.

point is, no matter how much better Axl and GnR get now, he’s done a lot of damage to his reputation for too many years to ever 100% fix the public perception of him, so the less the general public talks about Axl/GnR in the present tense, the better imo.

EDIT: I understand that none of what I said above really matters, cause at the end of the day they still have millions of fans. NITL grossed as high as it did for a reason... it’s just sad that some people have such a warped perception of Axl and/or GnR nowadays.

 

Lol if they thought he was fat in 2010, he's significantly more husky over the past 3 years than he was as "fat Axl". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stro said:

 

Lol if they thought he was fat in 2010, he's significantly more husky over the past 3 years than he was as "fat Axl". 

Isn’t the pic in this article from 2010?:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2016/06/axl-rose-sends-notice-to-google-demanding-takedown-of-fat-memes/amp/

I feel like he has looked a lot better than that for the last three years, unless I missed something lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Isn’t the pic in this article from 2010?:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/consequenceofsound.net/2016/06/axl-rose-sends-notice-to-google-demanding-takedown-of-fat-memes/amp/

I feel like he has looked a lot better than that for the last three years, unless I missed something lol.

It is, but it also just a really shitty angle. There are pictures from the same show where he looks fine. He wasn't as slim in 2010 as he was in '06, but he was still in quite decent shape.

axl_rose_2010_concert.jpg

 

(I apologize for disgracing this forum by including DJ in the picture)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gunner927 said:

It is, but it also just a really shitty angle. There are pictures from the same show where he looks fine. He wasn't as slim in 2010 as he was in '06, but he was still in quite decent shape.

axl_rose_2010_concert.jpg

 

(I apologize for disgracing this forum by including DJ in the picture)

Damn, he looks like UYI Axl there. Just goes to show how the angle, lighting, etc can really make or break a photo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lio said:

That's just ridiculous. It's a news site. They're supposed to bring news, not what bands dictate. If they're so scared of ruining their relationship with GNR (I wonder if they even have a relationship with GNR), why would they all report on Axl trying to get his fat picture off the internet? Makes no sense at all. They did report on the rumours about reunion and about Izzy and his loot. Why on earth would they be hesitant to report on something that anyone who's interested could just google?

I think this is all a case of GnR hardcore fans living in their own bubble.  It's not on the news because it isn't newsworthy.  Let's all take a deep breath and put this into perspective:  These are 20 year old unfinished demos.  That's not relevant outside of our bubble.  Something like that would only be relevant on a national news level is it was like MJ, the Beatles or Prince, maybe Tupac and Biggie and I'm sure there might be a few more I'm not thinking of.   I suppose if it was the original lineup, it might have a slim chance to be news, but it isn't the original lineup.  This isn't national for any reason other than the fact that it isn't that big of a story.  There is no grand conspiracy of suppression, it's unfinished demos from two decades ago with what amounted to session musicians.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Gunner927 said:

It is, but it also just a really shitty angle. There are pictures from the same show where he looks fine. He wasn't as slim in 2010 as he was in '06, but he was still in quite decent shape.

axl_rose_2010_concert.jpg

 

(I apologize for disgracing this forum by including DJ in the picture)

Yep. It's just more fun for people to share unflattering photos with dumb poses (or DJ photobombs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt that the people in the music outlets - most of them, at least - have even heard the leaked songs or looked for them, so it's not about the quality of the songs.

There are a couple of music journalists who are fans of the CD era and might have bothered to look for the leaks in the dark corners of the internet (as they're not readily accessible). But, still, it's not a "massive" leak, it's just two rough demos of unreleased songs and the rest is different versions of released songs. It's not like an entire "lost album" has leaked. 

It would be interesting, though, to see what would happen in the hypothetical situation that a demo from 1994-96, when Slash was still in the band, leaked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Trust me; no you don’t. Every time I bring up GnR to people outside of this fandom, all I hear is “Axl is never sober” and “Axl is late to everything” and “all Axl ever does is rant and start riots,” and when I try to explain to people that he’s totally different now, they don’t believe me. Then they say “he’s fat” and pull out that meme pic from 2010, thinking it was taken like yesterday or something.

the other day I was at the convenience store and the cashier had an AC/DC shirt on and I said “nice shirt, I had wanted to see them when Axl was their singer but didn’t get the chance,” and she said “I heard he showed up late to every AC/DC show and was always drunk and sounded horrible,” and we here all know that in reality it was the opposite. He was as professional as can be for AC/DC.

point is, no matter how much better Axl and GnR get now, he’s done a lot of damage to his reputation for too many years to ever 100% fix the public perception of him, so the less the general public talks about Axl/GnR in the present tense, the better imo.

EDIT: I understand that none of what I said above really matters, cause at the end of the day they still have millions of fans. NITL grossed as high as it did for a reason... it’s just sad that some people have such a warped perception of Axl and/or GnR nowadays.

I find it annoying too when discussing Axl with non-fans or casuals ... I'm only in my 20s but it's been my general impression that most ordinary people age 40+ have seriously stubborn memories and seemingly cannot in their brains separate the past from present 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it the OMG and Silkworms from last year or a better Mix?  I haven't heard it.  Who's paying the solo on Atlas?  Fortus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I find it annoying too when discussing Axl with non-fans or casuals ... I'm only in my 20s but it's been my general impression that most ordinary people age 40+ have seriously stubborn memories and seemingly cannot in their brains separate the past from present 

Yeah now that u mention it most people I talk to about GnR who have a distorted perception of them are older, whereas most kids I talk to are like “Ooh, GnR! Cool!” So I guess Axl will have a new generation worth of fans to keep playing to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, War2k14 said:

Is it the OMG and Silkworms from last year or a better Mix?  I haven't heard it.  Who's paying the solo on Atlas?  Fortus?

Brian May is on Atlas

 

And OMG and Silkworms, are mono mixes with some parts ommited for BBF to record guitars over so I would say in terms of a more enjoyable sonic experience, this new Silkworms and End of Days OMG release are the best mix-wise

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×