2018 CD Leaks Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

1 hour ago, TheSeeker said:

"Curly Shuffle" might also have lyrics/vocals if it's just a cover of this song as has been speculated:

I know Axl made that same laugh as used in this song, but I can't see any good reason on why would he cover this song. I hope it's just a joke in the title. 

4 hours ago, life_247 said:

Oh its not about sustaining the note in tune, its the tuner kicks in and smooths out the notes during the rapid note changes - IE the artefact isn't the holding of the "given" its the robotic smoothing of the speedy bit before it. It can be quite hard to describe it but you basically loose the clarity as the tuning is trying to snap you to a note but you are changing too fast for it to figure out what your doing.

All these songs from CD have vocal tuning on them, Axl has admitted as much and is also pretty standard in all modern recordings.

I see. Well, I still cant hear much of those artefacts in the transition of the notes as its not something I think it's as robotic as you say. I do think that when he sings "too hard school" is a bit more weird (or maybe unnatural) to me.

Did Axl admit he used vocal tuning tho? I don't remember that. I'm sure he have, but I just don't remember any quotes about that besides when he denied using it in live performances.

2 hours ago, Gackt said:

Maybe it's the mystique of it all at the time that raised the value.  :P

Live shows/rehearsals don't excite me at all when it comes to leaks, but I'd love to see the pro-shot of the 2016 Troubadour show come out someday to hear and see it in good quality.

Has it ever been confirmed that the Troubadour show was definitely Pro-Shot?

29 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I know Axl made that same laugh as used in this song, but I can't see any good reason on why would he cover this song. I hope it's just a joke in the title. 

I see. Well, I still cant hear much of those artefacts in the transition of the notes as its not something I think it's as robotic as you say. I do think that when he sings "too hard school" is a bit more weird (or maybe unnatural) to me.

Did Axl admit he used vocal tuning tho? I don't remember that. I'm sure he have, but I just don't remember any quotes about that besides when he denied using it in live performances.

Wasn’t there a Curly impersonation at the start of Chinese Democracy in Boston 2002? 

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Has it ever been confirmed that the Troubadour show was definitely Pro-Shot?

Yes, theres was even some kind of drama with the film producers, cause they werent paid or something like that. 

The guys even threatened to release the whole thing for free. Theres threads about it in this very forum, but Im not finding it on the search right now. 

Edited by default_

4 minutes ago, default_ said:

Everything going smoothly I guess. They're leaking a snippets and then full songs.

The State of Grace clip has just leaked next step is the full thing.

Hope you're right. It's been 19 years, time for us to hear all these. 

26 minutes ago, default_ said:

Yes, theres was even some kind of drama with the film producers, cause they werent paid or something like that. 

The guys even threatened to release the whole thing for free. Theres threads about it in this very forum, but Im not finding it on the search right now. 

It was an April Fool's joke. For some reason people keep forgetting that.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Based on the SCOM clip that was posted a while back, I sure hope it wasn't. 

That whole show was a mess honestly, Axl sounded bad and Frank was all over the place. 

26 minutes ago, default_ said:

I wouldn't mind if they released it for free though. Another leak haha 

7 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I always cringe when I see people talking about every single new song since 2006 being actually "glued together" or "too many changes". Wonder if they thought the same while listening to Coma, Locomotive, November Rain or even Rocket Queen..

I do not. These seem to flow better for some reason. I find atlas to be somewhat forced or sudden in spots where the others are a bit subtle. For instance, the coda of RQ has a build-up with drums on toms and guitars. Coma is a bit all over the place but it works. NR has build-ups that just flow. Locomotive is just a different story. In some ways its a bit of a mess in others its a masterpiece. Its really hard to explain. 

Atlas just doesn't have the same flow or build ups

19 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I do not. These seem to flow better for some reason. I find atlas to be somewhat forced or sudden in spots where the others are a bit subtle. For instance, the coda of RQ has a build-up with drums on toms and guitars. Coma is a bit all over the place but it works. NR has build-ups that just flow. Locomotive is just a different story. In some ways its a bit of a mess in others its a masterpiece. Its really hard to explain. 

Atlas just doesn't have the same flow or build ups

It's easy to say "it just works" when you compare the final product after proper mix and mastering and after decades of listening when the band was in its peak. 
Also, there is some CD era songs with build ups too. Hard School intro and middle section for example. But IMO, the changes are intentional, as Axl seemed to like Radiohead a lot back then and it was trying to avoid cliches of typical hard rock songs. I think it's just something to get used to.

1 hour ago, Lio said:

It was an April Fool's joke. For some reason people keep forgetting that.

Honestly? I doubt it was any kind of April fools. The guy was pretty harsh at what he said at the time, and then no pro footage of the that day surfaced. 

I believe it really happened and TB approached the company and did their damage control.

But we'll never know I guess. 

Edited by default_

52 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I always cringe when I see people talking about every single new song since 2006 being actually "glued together" or "too many changes". Wonder if they thought the same while listening to Coma, Locomotive, November Rain or even Rocket Queen..

basic tracks for coma were completed in one take apparently, according to matt sorum anyway, he said so on I think twitter ages ago.

I don't care if stuff is stitched together, editing and production have moved forward which is a good thing.

16 minutes ago, Shacklermyrye said:

basic tracks for coma were completed in one take apparently, according to matt sorum anyway, he said so on I think twitter ages ago.

I don't care if stuff is stitched together, editing and production have moved forward which is a good thing.

Me too. I didnt know that about Coma, I think it's kinda sad that we dont have early demos of this and stuff like Don't Damn Me to compare and see how they evolved. 

Not talking about anyone here in particular, but the way I see it everytime a new leak comes up (since 2006, it's been always like that): people complain about the track being weird, having too many changes, having weird intro, sound stitched together...

Its just that I feel people should expand their horizons. Go back in and listen to some late Beatles stuff. They were tooling with odd tempos, odd key changes. Same with Queen. There would be no Bohemian Rhapsody if they were restricted to write in the same basic formula (and there's a movie to prove it lol).  

• GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

Me too. I didnt know that about Coma, I think it's kinda sad that we dont have early demos of this and stuff like Don't Damn Me to compare and see how they evolved. 

Not talking about anyone here in particular, but the way I see it everytime a new leak comes up (since 2006, it's been always like that): people complain about the track being weird, having too many changes, having weird intro, sound stitched together...

Its just that I feel people should expand their horizons. Go back in and listen to some late Beatles stuff. They were tooling with odd tempos, odd key changes. Same with Queen. There would be no Bohemian Rhapsody if they were restricted to write in the same basic formula (and there's a movie to prove it lol).  

I don't think people necessarily have a problem with complex songs per se. They just don't think most of those in CD work. I love Zappa, Beefheart, Adebisi Shank, The Cardiacs and the rest. Listening to their catalogues again doesn't exactly make me see CD with better eyes, nor does the record benefit from the comparison IMO. It just seems meandering and lost to me for the most part. To each his own, of course.