ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I honestly don't remember what was said previously. I just know I was told that personally. Hearing the lyrics now, it totally makes sense. 

Your comment was that this was written about Robin right? I remember questioning it a bit when you made this claim and thinking that it didn't make sense due to the alleged timings of the recordings, but can definitely see how these lyrics would relate to Robin leaving GNR the first time around.

3 minutes ago, D.. said:

You like dramatic songs, I take it ; ) 

I think it will grow on you, given your tastes.

Don't worry, I happen to make snap judgements too (except on the last Tool album, gave it a few try, it's fucking garbage, for my taste anyway, wanker album of the year).

Couldn't name one Tool song! 

Yeah, dramatic. But in response to people saying me melodies others are saying it's not poppy and hooky e.g.Better. But that's not what I mean. It's not dynamic. I hate country stuff like Ring of Fire and Folsom Prison because he's singing about murder in a casual way. I Shot a man in Reno, then I had fish and chips. Deep emotion needs strong melody. 

1 minute ago, Amir said:

I think I'm almost done with listening to this demo, will likely wait for a final album version before listening more. There's some good stuff there but it really does need more work.

You’re saying that like there’s actually going to be a final album version to listen to someday tho. :P 

• GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Your comment was that this was written about Robin right? I remember questioning it a bit when you made this claim and thinking that it didn't make sense due to the alleged timings of the recordings, but can definitely see how these lyrics would relate to Robin leaving GNR the first time around.

Yeah, that's what I was told at least a couple of years ago; that it's about the first time Robin left. 

2 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Couldn't name one Tool song! 

Yeah, dramatic. But in response to people saying me melodies others are saying it's not poppy and hooky e.g.Better. But that's not what I mean. It's not dynamic. I hate country stuff like Ring of Fire and Folsom Prison because he's singing about murder in a casual way. I Shot a man in Reno, then I had fish and chips. Deep emotion needs strong melody. 

Yeah I totally get what you mean. I'm all for dramatic stuff. I prefer seriousness over humor. Hence why I don't like country stuff much either, except when I'm driving on a boring long road without end.

But Atlas is something different. The lyrics have a lot of meaning. 

It's really Yesterdays Part II with a great May solo and better Axl lyrics with a very clever reference. Love it for what it is.

Does it live up to the hype? Hard to say. It does for me. I absolutely didn't expect that at all. I won't be as merciful with "The General" if I ever hear it though. I have much much more expectations for that one, especially the instrumental part.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

What is the song which is supposed to be, according to Bach or some associate, a glam rock song with a monstrous riff, as I was under the impression that that was ''Atlas Shrugged'' yet this song does not fit that description?

It was either "The General" or "Soul Monster". Definitely not Atlas.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

What is the song which is supposed to be, according to Bach or some associate, a glam rock song with a monstrous riff, as I was under the impression that that was ''Atlas Shrugged'' yet this song does not fit that description?

Roy Thomas Baker described this song as “glam rock November Rain,” whereas Bach described The General and Sorry as “monstrous doom metal.” Neither of them know what they’re talking about, clearly. 

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It has a lot of changes, verses, bridges, with no discernible chorus or hookline. It rather is difficult to comprehensibly grasp.

Sometimes with those types of songs it benefits if you actually stop and start again within a section and give a chance to reset what you’re listening too. This song could benefit from a few breaths 

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Bach talked about The General and Sorry. It was Axl himself who described Me & My Elvis/ Leave Me Alone/ Soul Monster as “GnR meets Black Sabbath.”

Alright ; )

I love "Sorry", I would say it has a Pink floyd vibe at times. Would any of you agree on that? Doubt it. 

It's all very subjective. But from what I've heard from The General, it sounds like it's the most promising track out of the lot. By far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The glam November Rain was attributed to Atlas but by whom I can't remember. Maybe the '99 Rolling Stone interviewer.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2007/11/06/sebastian-bach-spouts-more-axl-rose-rhetoric/

One of my favorite songs — I asked Axl if I could mention the song titles and he said “Fine” — and one of my favorite songs is this song called “The General”, which is so… it’s by far the heaviest metal tune I think I’ve ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. I was like, “When is this coming out?” And he said “2012” I was like, “Dude, you’re killin’ me!” He goes, “Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it’s a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.” He’s got it all figured out, he’s just different than other people. He does things on his own time, in his own way, but you know…the world’s not prepared for what I’ve heard from this guy.

Edited by Jordan Rose
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, D.. said:

Alright ; )

I love "Sorry", I would say it has a Pink floyd vibe at times. Would any of you agree on that? Doubt it. 

It's all very subjective. But from what I've heard from The General, it sounds like it's the most promising track out of the lot. By far.

I agree with Sorry sounding like Floyd. It’s one of my favorite songs on the record. It doesn’t sound like “doom metal” tho so idk what the fuck baz was talking about when he described it that way.

i think The General has a lot of potential, yeah. Again tho, the bit we heard doesn’t sound like doom metal, yet that’s how baz described it. Does he even know what that genre is?

Edited by rocknroll41

1 minute ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Just wondering where the holy grail of CD session demos is at? People waited 20 years, thinking this would be some type of opus. Maybe I’m being dramatic. I love hearing new Axl takes, but the tracks so far don’t really pull me in; minus the CD version with Josh. Killer bass in that song

I think it’s obvious that some of these leaks were a work in progress mix wise let alone even finished recording. None of it has been mastered. So it’s tough to make such final judgements and compare them against released material. That’s not exactly fair