ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

54 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What is the song which is supposed to be, according to Bach or some associate, a glam rock song with a monstrous riff, as I was under the impression that that was ''Atlas Shrugged'' yet this song does not fit that description?

keep in mind, this is most likely a very old demo, the version Bach heard might be really different.

I think the best we can do at this point is forget about "holy grails". Atlas used to be so anticipated and one of the "big guns", the next November Rain (as a journalist described, November Rain meets 70s glam) and with the last leaks we can clearly see theres nothing ground breaking. No November Rain, no Estranged. 
Bach said The General is a heavy, almost doom song, we'll probably be disappointed by Axls take on a generic Doom Metal track. 

Oh, and if we follow the pattern, doom metal was also a trend on underground metal in the 90s. Axl is always late to the party. 

Edited by default_

6 minutes ago, default_ said:

I think the best we can do at this point is forget about "holy grails". Atlas used to be so anticipated and one of the "big guns", the next November Rain (as a journalist described, November Rain meets 70s glam) and with the last leaks we can clearly see theres nothing ground breaking. No November Rain, no Estranged. 
Bach said The General is a heavy, almost doom song, we'll probably be disappointed by Axls take on a generic Doom Metal track. 

Oh, and if we follow the pattern, doom metal was also a trend among underground metal in the 90s. Axl is always late to the party. 

Did somebody really describe it as a November Rain kind of song? What a joke. Sounds a lot more than "Yesterdays" than anything if we absolutely have to compare if to a previous Gn'R song. But it's just its own thing.

Then again, those same journalists thought "The Last Jedi" was an amazing Star Wars movie when it's even worse than any of the prequels. Journalists are pointless at this point.

1 minute ago, D.. said:

Did somebody really describe it as a November Rain kind of song? What a joke. Sounds a lot more than "Yesterdays" than anything if we absolutely have to compare if to a previous Gn'R song. But it's just its own thing.

Then again, those same journalists thought "The Last Jedi" was an amazing Star Wars movie when it's even worse than any of the prequels. Journalists are pointless at this point.

Roy Thomas Baker's job was to sell Axl's half-baked album

We were sold a lot of lies in the past 20 years

1 hour ago, Jordan Rose said:

Couldn't name one Tool song! 

Yeah, dramatic. But in response to people saying me melodies others are saying it's not poppy and hooky e.g.Better. But that's not what I mean. It's not dynamic. I hate country stuff like Ring of Fire and Folsom Prison because he's singing about murder in a casual way. I Shot a man in Reno, then I had fish and chips. Deep emotion needs strong melody. 

To be fair, what makes Folsom Prison work is how chillingly casual the narrator is about murder, though. He shot a man in Reno just to watch him die, it would make no sense for him to blurt out MAMAAAAAAA JUST KILLED A MAAAAAAN.

But I agree that Atlas is not exactly dynamic. I have heard it several times by now and I'm still having a hard time seeing it as a "song" rather than a series of ho-hum "bits" thrown together. The only part I can remember is the one minute leak from before.

I love that we finally have this mysterious new song we've been waiting to hear for over a decade, and the reaction is basically "Yeah, ok. BUT AFD 99 THOUGH"

There aren't "holy grails". I think people misunderstood what Axl was trying to do with CD because of the silence and delays. He wasn't Brian Wilson trying to make a world changing piece while losing his mind and being unable to piece together what he was trying to do. It was just Axl trying to write songs with a different crew of helpers that freed him up to try different types of songs than he would have written with Izzy/Duff/Slash. All of these songs likely would have been out by now had the label accepted what he turned in in 2000/2001/2002. He wasn't trying to make the greatest album ever made, he wasn't even trying to make the greatest GNR album ever made. Songs about the things going on in his life at the time (lawsuits, break up of the old band, relationship hangups, a brother in law he didn't like, etc).

He thought what he presented was finished multiple times and the label/producers said "not good enough" and that forced him to keep tinkering. 

What really doesn't make sense to me is that if they had let him get all this stuff out and out of his system, it would have likely made a reunion more possible at a much earlier time, especially if the new material had flopped, but the label would have been able to recoup on their investment and move on. No one gives a fuck when Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger or Roger Daltrey put out solo records and it doesn't harm Aerosmith or The Stones or The Who when they don't sell. Even putting all this stuff under the GNR banner and it not being a huge hit wouldn't have mattered much when the reunion came around: See the reaction to the actual released CD and the reunion. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

A) Silkworms DOES suck. So much. 

B) for me, I'd be totally fine with an instrumental AFD 99

Tottally agree. I love all the songs in Chinese but Silkworms is the lowest of GNR, right there with My World

Edited by valengf
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

"half baked album"?? Based on all the 99 era leaks and now Atlas, it sounds to me like the album was fully baked. Then Ezrin told Axl it was half baked, so then Axl over cooked it for the following 9 years. 

One thousand times this. Bob Ezrin needs to be kicked in the dick for selling Axl on this. This 2000 stockpile is by and far the best of what we've heard to date. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Reminder #1164514598:

We do not allow insults of users here, nor do we allow insults of other mods & admins at other forums. 

Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

One thousand times this. Bob Ezrin needs to be kicked in the dick for selling Axl on this. This 2000 stockpile is by and far the best of what we've heard to date. 

Yep. 

This really puts me in a mental bind. The Wall is my favorite piece of art ever and Ezrin produced it. 

On the other hand, he was 1000% wrong about Chinese. 

Dammit Bob. 

Edit-

The first part of my post isn't directed at you. I made two posts back to back, then the forum merged them :)

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Reminder #1164514598:

We do not allow insults of users here, nor do we allow insults of other mods & admins at other forums. 

Thanks. 

Yep. 

This really puts me in a mental bind. The Wall is my favorite piece of art ever and Ezrin produced it. 

On the other hand, he was 1000% wrong about Chinese. 

Dammit Bob. 

Out of touch. Happens to everyone at some stage.