ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Maybe this is also a subtle shot at the forums for airing the “dirty laundry” via leaks 

:lol:

2 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Hmmmm! Anyone in the know think that could be a real possibility? 

Nah.....it's just more completely tone deaf / shitty marketing from whatever branch of UMG that is running the GN'R "brand" of things. I'm sure that email was set to send long before all this shit when down.

1 minute ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I’m happy that now everyone has a clear picture as to how this album was intended to sound almost 20 years ago.

Think about that for a second. 20 years ago. 

Yup. Axl's lack of ability to release more music plus spending his best vocal years singing to die-hards in arenas whilst mostly promoting Appetite is a legit musical tradgedy. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jordan Rose said:

Yup. Axl's lack of ability to release more music plus spending his best vocal years singing to die-hards in arenas whilst mostly promoting Appetite is a legit musical tradgedy. 

He should have re-recorded the vocals in 2008 before he released the album. His voice was great during that time.

1 minute ago, Jordan Rose said:

The thing is, this album was intended to sound the way it did. The way he sung was intentional, not because he screwed his voice up.

”that doesn’t sound like Axl Rose, That doesn’t sound like Guns n’ Roses, but you’ll like a few songs on there.” 

1 minute ago, RedHook said:

He should have re-recorded the vocals in 2008 before he released the album. His voice was great during that time.

Nothing to re-record when it was originally recorded the way he wanted it to sound. 

Just now, HollyWoodRose84 said:

The thing is, this album was intended to sound the way it did. The way he sung was intentional, not because he screwed his voice up.

”that doesn’t sound like Axl Rose, That doesn’t sound like Guns n’ Roses, but you’ll like a few songs on there.” 

100% But given the backlash in 2002 to the clean voice and him gong rasp '06 and chainsaw '10 i'd like to think he's put some vocals down since then that are more Angel Down/TIL Remix.

45 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

There're exactly 0 hits on that '00 album. Not a single one. And remember at that time there were a lot of huge rock anthems. Which of those songs could compare to Californication, Time Of your Life, In The End, Everlong, Bitter Sweet Symphony etc etc I'm not talking just about quality, I'm talking about potential to be a hit. Exactly 0

Would they be played more than in the '08? Sure, but there're 0 big hits there and GnR should be compared to the other rock giants

Chinese democracy the title track could have done something with rock radio with the right video and promotion. No 1? I don't know, but it would have done well. IRS, could have done well... It certainly did in 2006 when it leaked and all those radio stations were playing it and been requested for it.

Street of dreams would have done well too as one of the singles. Chinese, Street of Dreams and finish it with IRS. That would have been a tight release package. If better was in play at the time I'd swap IRS out for it, and if Shackler's was a thing I'd consider dropping SOD. The early 00s was a weird time for music so I personally think that album would have been accepted far better and the wait between records was long but not 17yrs long.

1 minute ago, Jordan Rose said:

100% But given the backlash in 2002 to the clean voice and him gong rasp '06 and chainsaw '10 i'd like to think he's put some vocals down since then that are more Angel Down/TIL Remix.

:shrugs: Maybe, maybe not. 

Atlas is sung in the same way as TWAT, Catcher and The Blues. His focus was on adding more songs that had the Elton/Queen element. As far as what you would consider a “rocker” the influence was the late 90s industrial sound which is evident on just about every other song.

HIGHLY certain that new music with Slash and Duff will sound different.  

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Chinese democracy the title track could have done something with rock radio with the right video and promotion. No 1? I don't know, but it would have done well. IRS, could have done well... It certainly did in 2006 when it leaked and all those radio stations were playing it and been requested for it.

Street of dreams would have done well too as one of the singles. Chinese, Street of Dreams and finish it with IRS. That would have been a tight release package. If better was in play at the time I'd swap IRS out for it, and if Shackler's was a thing I'd consider dropping SOD. The early 00s was a weird time for music so I personally think that album would have been accepted far better and the wait between records was long but not 17yrs long.

The album was overproduced. When that happened, it was dead before it was even released. 

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It would be received much better 1000% sure. I'm not saying it wouldn't. I'm just saying there are no stone cold hits on the album. Velvet Revolver managed two with Slither and Fall To Pieces. CD even back then didn't have songs that could be popular as those 2. 

4 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

The album was overproduced. When that happened, it was dead before it was even released. 

Californication is one of the worst produced (popular) albums of all time and it's considered a classic now. It's not a death sentence 

3 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

And a shirt and hat. Not outrageous 

Its just a laundry bag with the GNR logo sewn on. And the Tshirt and Hat will most probably be stuff from Last Chance section of the site that are already marked down.

Listened to Atlas again, I still can't hear a song. The intro is the best part, then it's going nowhere fast. It's like a weak mishmash of Yesterdays and Catcher. And I definately hear Sweet home Alabama in there. :D

If they come out with that as a single it should come in that fucking laundry back with the surprise hat for free.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Yep. 

This really puts me in a mental bind. The Wall is my favorite piece of art ever and Ezrin produced it. 

On the other hand, he was 1000% wrong about Chinese. 

I think the deal with Ezrin saying there were 2 good songs was, at least listening to the product we have, it was never going to hit mainstream. Songs might be good for people used to underground music, but none of CD or the unreleased tracks weve listened so far has any appeal to mainstream. None of it could ever be a new SCOM, Jungle or NR. And thats what these people wanted from the band. 

This and getting Slash back. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

It would be received much better 1000% sure. I'm not saying it wouldn't. I'm just saying there are no stone cold hits on the album. Velvet Revolver managed two with Slither and Fall To Pieces. CD even back then didn't have songs that could be popular as those 2. 

Californication is one of the worst produced (popular) albums of all time and it's considered a classic now. It's not a death sentence 

Was Flea’s bass even plugged in when he recorded that album? 😏