ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

18 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I'm going to ask a stupid question.  From a legal standpoint, is it technically unlawful to even listen to these leaks?  Just curious.

That depends on where you live.

Every country has its own laws. I'm pretty sure in my country, that I'm allowed to download it, but not (re)distribute it.

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

There's more too- Kaleo, Royal Blood, Dirty Honey, Greta Van Fleet, etc

I think the reason why rock is considered dead is because pretty much all rock bands these days rely on nostalgia. Most rock bands sound like wannabe Led Zeppelin or something. That's why people aren't interested in rock music anymore cause people want new things. Something that's not done before. Don't get me wrong, I love Zeppelin, but that's because they were such an innovative band at their time. They weren't a nostalgia band. If someone could recommend modern rock bands that push new boundaries, that would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Seems like Atlas is a more divisive tune compared to, say, Hard School but most people here seems to like it/love it. I've listened to it some more. I gotta say, there is a lot of elements I like about it. Different parts I enjoy. I think there's a very good song in there. But it kinda gets to a point maybe after the solo section where it just stagnates. I guess it sounds like to me it can be more dynamic as a song and could benefit from a better ending too. In general, more peaks and valleys. Mostly the same levels of energy throughout the song which makes it less interesting imo.

I realize this is just a rough demo but still: a song like Catcher which is similar in it's vibe, also a bright sounding tune compared to the rest of the album, progresses in such a way that makes you feel like it's gaining momentum all the time until it's epic conclusion. The opposite of what's happening here at least when I'm listening to  it.

It is a grower, but I don't think they took this version at least to the finish line. It's definitely worth finishing and maybe Axl did just that. Slash can probably improve this song. This is the second Chinese era song that takes cues from Yesterdays after Catcher. Slash did that with Fall To Pieces and Loving The Alien using some aspects of his SCOM riff. 

It's odd... but odd is what I expected. Honestly, all we had was people describing it. Nobody could ever guess the sound based on words. Not what I was expecting from Axl. Very poppish. Reminds me of the unreleased 1997 RHCP song "Circle of the noose" in a way. Loops, looped acoustic. It's odd. I'm sure by now the song is way different and more full.

For me, with a little bit of experience producing/working on music,  I am with the people who think there's a missing section. Regardless of demo status, there's a cut that Axl would not let slide even on a demo somewhere after the 2 minute mark. I might be wrong, though. Expecting logic with GN'R is like spending the millions you could potentially win because you just bought one lottery ticket.

This song is pretty outdated by now? The "happy" part sounds too late 90's. I'm sure I'll love the released version. I love this demo.

Gotta say, more excited for "The General" because we have heard that phone clip, and we do know it's epic, dark, and heavy as the wallet of the guy who sold the demos to someone.

(By the way, glad to finally join MyGNR after years of reading)

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Personally I really lke this song, it is clearly not finished but it sounds like a good song. The reason why I think some people are dissapointed is because of the hype that this song got. 

So this means that those 15 seconds which have been labeled as "Atlas?" that have a scream and some instruments are really not from this song

Edited by MJRemastered98

1 hour ago, Lies They Tell said:

I think the reason why rock is considered dead is because pretty much all rock bands these days rely on nostalgia. Most rock bands sound like wannabe Led Zeppelin or something. That's why people aren't interested in rock music anymore cause people want new things. Something that's not done before. Don't get me wrong, I love Zeppelin, but that's because they were such an innovative band at their time. They weren't a nostalgia band. If someone could recommend modern rock bands that push new boundaries, that would be greatly appreciated.

Erm you do realise a lot of GnR was nostalgia for the Stones/Aerosmith rather than the pompous hair metal of the day. All of pop/rock is iteration and going back to old ideas with newer twists etc. Although I can't get on board with that Led Zep tribute act (Greta Van Fleet) that people seem to somehow accept as new thing.

I think the issue is now with the internet its all split up so theres enough connected fans that can support Classic Rock as a genre in its own right, there's still a lot of innovative and different stuff out there you just have to know where to look. Also with streaming services ironically people aren't searching for new music - its all well known hits and playlists rather than radio (love it or hate it) knows it has to keep the playlist a bit fresh and introduce new music.

I quite like DZ Deathrays (they've just dropped an album which is a touch more main stream), Death From Above 1979, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard (they put out a LOT of records, their lastest one is death/hardcorey metal for some reason) those are just some that pop into my head. Plenty about!

As for Atlas - the vocals are a hot mess. All these tracks from 99 sound like the auto-tune/melodyne has just been whacked on it at quite a default high setting and not fiddled with, it really struggles with the fast paced vocal sections - sounds god awful. Far too many words, lack of a hook - the music is interesting but I would say this would of needed quite a bit of work. It also slightly sounds like people playing with some ideas in a studio with a song rather than a final take scenario.

17 minutes ago, life_247 said:

Erm you do realise a lot of GnR was nostalgia for the Stones/Aerosmith rather than the pompous hair metal of the day. All of pop/rock is iteration and going back to old ideas with newer twists etc. Although I can't get on board with that Led Zep tribute act (Greta Van Fleet) that people seem to somehow accept as new thing.

I think the issue is now with the internet its all split up so theres enough connected fans that can support Classic Rock as a genre in its own right, there's still a lot of innovative and different stuff out there you just have to know where to look. Also with streaming services ironically people aren't searching for new music - its all well known hits and playlists rather than radio (love it or hate it) knows it has to keep the playlist a bit fresh and introduce new music.

I quite like DZ Deathrays (they've just dropped an album which is a touch more main stream), Death From Above 1979, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard (they put out a LOT of records, their lastest one is death/hardcorey metal for some reason) those are just some that pop into my head. Plenty about!

As for Atlas - the vocals are a hot mess. All these tracks from 99 sound like the auto-tune/melodyne has just been whacked on it at quite a default high setting and not fiddled with, it really struggles with the fast paced vocal sections - sounds god awful. Far too many words, lack of a hook - the music is interesting but I would say this would of needed quite a bit of work. It also slightly sounds like people playing with some ideas in a studio with a song rather than a final take scenario.

Nothing wrong with taking elements from older bands and turning it into something new. I quite like The White Stripes and The Strokes. I feel like they've created something new even if they're clearly inspired by older bands. Same goes for Guns N' Roses. They took elements from many older bands but they created something unique out of it. They're much more punk rock than The Stones or Aerosmith and there's really nothing before them that would sound just like GNR. These Greta Van Fleets etc don't really bring anything new to the table. But thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

WOW. There's a fan remix floating around with "(drums down)" in the title that really makes the vocals a lot clearer. I'm not sure how y'all pull this shit off, but well done!

Imsorry's remix.

Come to think of it, we have never seen Imsorry and evader in the same place at the same time...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Zeppelin, but that's because they were such an innovative band at their time. They weren't a nostalgia band. If someone could recommend modern rock bands that push new boundaries, that would be greatly appreciated.

Led Zeppelin is the epitome of copy/paste lol most of their songs are straight forward plagiarism. 

And I love them, wearing a Zep tee right now lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, username said:

Atlas was fun and all, but it's time for something else to leak. What's next? ^_^ Come on, we haven't got all day! 

Its time for an official release actually, we will never be satisfied with demo leaks, no matter how many of them get their way out of hoarders hands. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

The problem today is that pop music is so consumed with hip hop which completely sucks now so over blown just like hair metal at the end of the 80s music needs an enima 

5 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Still the toss bag of the century, fancy making a career off your "best friends" success.  How's about telling your "friends" to release a fucking album, then we wouldn't even care about leaks.

surprised he didn't throw in a plug for the new guns n roses tea towels or whatever lol

hahaha  songs leak from every band, deal with it