ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

So - how many ‘real versions’ are there? I know of the original one but there is apparently another out there but a ‘fan mix’....is it definitely a fan mix and not one of the others listed on the leaks CD covers? One where the drums are lower in the mix?

12 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

So - how many ‘real versions’ are there? I know of the original one but there is apparently another out there but a ‘fan mix’....is it definitely a fan mix and not one of the others listed on the leaks CD covers? One where the drums are lower in the mix?

There's the original, the drums up 1.5db version, and drums down 1.5db. The original and drums up 1.5db have leaked, there's a fan mix with drums down (can't confirm how many db, sorry) while we wait for drums down 1.5db to leak.

But it doesn't really matter because they all sound the same.

What I really want to know is how much ambience is there? Can anyone confirm?

41 minutes ago, axlinkafayette said:

Hard school is FAR better than Atlas Shrugged

I kept thinking, how many times am I going to hear the same lyric.  Over and over

I’ve had a hard time keeping up with the leaks and thought Atlas was Checkmate and thought he was saying “and you’re the one, who sold them drugs”. I realized later it was shoulders shrug and it all connected.  Not sure I have a point but what can you do. 

12 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Axl could’ve literally matched his previous band’s output with a triple release sometime between 99-01, and proved everybody wrong with a brand new band. Could’ve followed it with a massive tour. Could’ve pulled off something unprecedented and started over with a brand new band and created a whole new legacy, and still would’ve had plenty of time to reunite with original members at some point and continue legacy of original band. Could’ve, could’ve, could’ve. 

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that.  My opinion is that "NU-GNR" was doomed from the start. Whether an album dropped in 99-01 or the actual CD release date of 2008, it didn't have Slash in it. I think Axl knew this and that's why he had trouble with the follow up. 

What should have happened but didn't was GNR going on hiatus, which would have freed Axl from the GNR brand so that he can pursue a solo album. Restarting the band with new members rarely works, especially with a band that is already established. The only band that I can think of that it has worked for was Fleetwood Mac. At the time, Fleetwood Mac wasn't widely known when Mick brought Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that.  My opinion is that "NU-GNR" was doomed from the start. Whether an album dropped in 99-01 or the actual CD release date of 2008, it didn't have Slash in it. I think Axl knew this and that's why he had trouble with the follow up. 

What should have happened but didn't was GNR going on hiatus, which would have freed Axl from the GNR brand so that he can pursue a solo album. Restarting the band with new members rarely works, especially with a band that is already established.

Pretty much. I'm sure it didn't help Axl's confidence for the label to reject his efforts. I would have also. The demos sound nothing like GN'R, so they told him to try again, and rightfully so.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Draguns said:

What should have happened but didn't was GNR going on hiatus, which would have freed Axl from the GNR brand so that he can pursue a solo album. Restarting the band with new members rarely works, especially with a band that is already established. The only band that I can think of that it has worked for was Fleetwood Mac. At the time, Fleetwood Mac wasn't widely known when Mick brought Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham. 

It worked for Pink Floyd. It worked for Van Halen. It worked for the Grateful Dead. I agree, Axl should’ve left and made a solo record while slash made his, and reconciled in the late 90s. 

It’s a decent song on its own, ranked against the ones on CD I’d probably put it in something like 7th or 8th place. Above Chinese, Riad, Sorry, Scraped, and Madagascar, below everything else.

Fuck whoever came up with that November Rain nonsense though. That really dialed everyone’s expectations into the stratosphere. Thought it’d be something on par with TWAT and instead it’s somewhere between Madagascar and IRS. 

Im fucking loving this track!! The first 1+ minute is awesome (even if it all reminds me of other songs). The music feels like liberation and that serves the lyrics well. Im glad the lyrics arent really based on the novel of the same name - although it wouldve been funny because some of the "no political axl lyrics" people are right leaning and so is the book.

The solo is still melting me. On AFD they used some octave spliters on riffs. Its a cool and natural progression to hear some of that on a lead. I can only think of Estranged as having harmony leads, but it wasnt an octave split effect.

And the arrangement is really cool, especially imho from the perspective of the vocal melody. The arrangement gives the impression of having been 're-chorded' and Axl navigates these tensions with ease. Im impressed.

Edited by soon

12 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

If Scraped sounded like the live 2010 version it would be on another level.

Prague 2010 is the gold standard for that, even got the yowling at the opening sounding right. Good luck finding it again though after the YouTube copyright holocaust.

4 minutes ago, Flayer said:

Prague 2010 is the gold standard for that, even got the yowling at the opening sounding right. Good luck finding it again though after the YouTube copyright holocaust.

That and Moscow. It has a really hard  rock/sleazy funk vibe to it.

4 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

It worked for Pink Floyd. It worked for Van Halen. It worked for the Grateful Dead. I agree, Axl should’ve left and made a solo record while slash made his, and reconciled in the late 90s. 

Van Halen replaced the singer who actually sounded better than the original. They also made more radio hits. Additionally, you still had Alex and Eddie Van Halen.  For Pink Floyd it worked for awhile, but they never achieved the same status as they previously did. I don't know enough about the Grateful Dead. I wasn't a fan of theirs. 

Edited by Draguns

I'm I'll be the last to say that the song has no catchy hook in the chorus. However as a writer I fucking love it! Just like 'Prostitute' it speaks to me as a person in my early 30s which axl was in '99??? [Please fact check]

I have what was once known as Asperger's syndrome. That early leak of 'prostitute' really guided me through. 

I'm currently finishing study after a few years through open NIDA. We are currently working on a short film. I had an altercation when decisions were made about diverting the artistic direction to meet a deadline. 

• Like 3