ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

Perhaps is more poppy compared to Atlas which has a more interesting contrast between it's verses and chorus. Liked Perhaps from the first listen, Atlas was a grower. Perhaps has a little verse riff that shares some notes with Slash's Estranged riff.

It's also darker compared to Atlas. The piano riff works really well and the "hey, hey's" is classic Axl.

I think Atlas is the stronger tune but it kinda loses steam after the solo.

23 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I like Atlas, but to me it sounds way too much like alt-rock from late 90s. Which is fine, but I don't think the song should be reworked. Maybe slowed down a bit would help.

Or even better, an acoustic version of Atlas with a blues based -straight forward- guitar, no keyboards or anything that reminds of nuguns, plus a percussion, man, that would be SO great.

Can't see Axl Rose letting go all the pro tools he did, though.

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

No, I was only talking about Perhaps. I think there are at least two guitars playing some riffs (kinda like the arpeggios in the CITR intro and verses). In Perhaps, it sounds busy with the uptempo piano. And I love the song, IMO it's the best one of the demos along with Hardschool. 

I like Atlas, but to me it sounds way too much like alt-rock from late 90s. Which is fine, but I don't think the song should be reworked. Maybe slowed down a bit would help.

Ah yeah I can what you’re saying on Perhaps now. Yeah, I agree. A little too much going on there.

12 hours ago, jafeijo said:

Or even better, an acoustic version of Atlas with a blues based -straight forward- guitar, no keyboards or anything that reminds of nuguns, plus a percussion, man, that would be SO great.

Can't see Axl Rose letting go all the pro tools he did, though.

I like the keyboards, it reminds me of Lucy in the Sky and Strawberry Fields Forever.

10 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

I like both Perhaps and Atlas - weirdly I was thinking yesterday that Atlas is the better song but the Perhaps solo is better.

Perhaps solo is amazing. It's simple, but it has just the right feel.

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Ah yeah I can what you’re saying on Perhaps now. Yeah, I agree. A little too much going on there.

Isnt this the story of the CD-era tracks? I mean, look at the mess in songs like IRS.

I just remembered that these leaks happened and I'm finally getting around to trying to tracklist an alternate version of CD from the complete songs with vocals. It's something like this:

1. Chinese Democracy

2. Hard School

3. State of Grace

4. I.R.S.

5. Oh My God

6. There Was A Time

7. Catcher in the Rye

8. Madagascar

9. Atlas Shrugged

10. The Blues

11. Riyadh

12. Perhaps

13. Prostitue

Oh My God is a bit of an outlier but it does help give a bit of energy to the first half of the tracklist before it dips down into more moodier, slower stuff. And while it doesn't make an AMAZING album, it's a pretty damn good one.

Edited by chevelle

7 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I like the keyboards, it reminds me of Lucy in the Sky and Strawberry Fields Forever.

Perhaps solo is amazing. It's simple, but it has just the right feel.

Isnt this the story of the CD-era tracks? I mean, look at the mess in songs like IRS.

keyboards are necessary on that tune imo. Gives it that dreamy vibe. Like Catcher. (can work acoustically too) Perhaps solo, which I still agree sounds like Robin, is great. I especially enjoy the beginning and how it ends but the whole thing is short and sweet.

I.R.S is messy like a gangbang of ideas but doesn't bother me cause it's Zeppelish so layers make sense. The demo was weak for me. The choice to go with that additional layer of power chords gave it balls. Jimmy Page should have co-produced it though cause it's still one of my favorites from that era, but you need more finesse if you're gonna do 400 layers so it doesn't feel cluttered or at least know how to paint.

The CD era approach is "more is more". It's a headphones kinda album.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

keyboards are necessary on that tune imo. Gives it that dreamy vibe. Like Catcher. (can work acoustically too) Perhaps solo, which I still agree sounds like Robin, is great. I especially enjoy the beginning and how it ends but the whole thing is short and sweet.

I.R.S is messy like a gangbang of ideas but doesn't bother me cause it's Zeppelish so layers make sense. The demo was weak for me. The choice to go with that additional layer of power chords gave it balls. Jimmy Page should have co-produced it though cause it's still one of my favorites from that era, but you need more finesse if you're gonna do 400 layers so it doesn't feel cluttered or at least know how to paint.

The CD era approach is "more is more". It's a headphones kinda album.

Yes, to me is very clear that's Robin playing that solo in Perhaps.

IRS is a good song, but always suffered from the layers. The 1999 already was a clusterfuck (especially with no stereo separation with the guitars). The post-Bucket demos were either barebones (the first leak in 2006, which to me is the best in some parts, but weaker in Robin's leads) or just messy all around. The album version was even worse, with Bumble adding yet another guitar to make it sound less "mechanic". That's why I prefer the 2006/07 live versions of the song. 

• 1 year later...

Listening to Atlas again. 

I really like Brain's drumming on it.

What are the odds they keep Brains drums on the final version, presumably on the next record? We know Bumblefoot re-recorded the guitar solo, so the one we hear by Brian May is gone. My guess is they will have Slash re-record the solo, if not the entire lead guitar track. Keeping May's solo would be more likely than using anything by Bumblefoot at this point. lol

I thought Brain's drumming on the title track (Chinese Democracy) was great, all that work to duplicate the Nirvana drums on Smells Like Teen Spirit, only to have Frank re-record the entire drum track. So who knows...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

What are the odds they keep Brains drums on the final version, presumably on the next record? We know Bumblefoot re-recorded the guitar solo, so the one we hear by Brian May is gone. My guess is they will have Slash re-record the solo, if not the entire lead guitar track. Keeping May's solo would be more likely than using anything by Bumblefoot at this point. lol

I thought Brain's drumming on the title track (Chinese Democracy) was great, all that work to duplicate the Nirvana drums on Smells Like Teen Spirit, only to have Frank re-record the entire drum track. So who knows...

If I had to guess I’d say if the song makes the new record just about everything would be re-record except maybe Axl’s vocals, which there’s a good chance he’d redo those as well. I can’t see any of the CD guys that aren’t part of NITL making it on the record unless it’s writing credits. Although it’s pretty certain the re-recorded parts on SOYL for the AFD deluxe edition so who knows.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

Maybe your shoulders just ain't wide enough.

Given it is purely subjective, the width of my shoulders is somewhat irrelevant. Though I am told I am broad. Perhaps (pun intended) I'll just never have the right credentials to join that elitist GNR fan group though...

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

The version with Brain behind the kit is like Brownstone on steroids. It has a phenomenal groove and was the first thing I noticed with the early snippets we got. Could you imagine how shitty it would be for Frank to give 15 years of service, yet for Axl still to use 20 year old drum recordings from Brain on a new record? I hope he does :lol:

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Atlas Shrugged is just not all that good?! Heard it a few times and didn't think much of it. At all.

It was underwhelming, after it being drummed up (no pun intended) for years as being something really special, it fell short of my expectations. I think of it as below the level of Catcher, which I like, but it not my favorite.

Hardschool and Perhaps killed it. Hardschool was way better than I expected based on the leaked 2006 clip of it.

I think it was Tom Zutaut who thought Atlas would have made a good single. I can't believe someone who had access to songs like Hardschool, Perhaps, and others would think that. I don't know if Tom heard a "finished" Better or Zodiac 13, but those would have been good single material too. 

It blows my mind CD was picked as a single or for radio play in 2008.

Edited by Sweersa
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dean said:

The version with Brain behind the kit is like Brownstone on steroids. It has a phenomenal groove and was the first thing I noticed with the early snippets we got. Could you imagine how shitty it would be for Frank to give 15 years of service, yet for Axl still to use 20 year old drum recordings from Brain on a new record? I hope he does :lol:

Hahaha yes, it would be hilarious. What a mess, such stellar instrumental performances wasted, only to be replaced by sub-par performances, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully they knock it out of the park. I'm still hopeful they keep some of the original (or best) work intact from the CD-era members and have Slash do a solo here and there like what Bumblefoot did when he fucked up worked on 2008's CD. In Ron's defense, some of his stuff was good.

If they keep some (or most, please God be most) of Brain's drums, and some of the best Bucket and Robin work, I'll be one smiling motherfucker when I listen to CD2 with Slash, Duff, Frank, and Melissa on it.

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Hahaha yes, it would be hilarious. What a mess, such stellar instrumental performances wasted, only to be replaced by sub-par performances, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully they knock it out of the park. I'm still hopeful they keep some of the original (or best) work intact from the CD-era members and have Slash do a solo here and there like what Bumblefoot did when he fucked up worked on 2008's CD. In Ron's defense, some of his stuff was good.

If they keep some (or most, please God be most) of Brain's drums, and some of the best Bucket and Robin work, I'll be one smiling motherfucker when I listen to CD2 with Slash, Duff, Frank, and Melissa on it.

In an ideal world, I'd want the rest of CDII untouched, with Stinson, Finck, Bucket and the rest of them all over it. Realistically, I know it's not going to happen but Slash and Duff will still shine on a new record, I have every faith in that and I can't imagine Axl punting out a record that won't be up to standard. A reasonable consolation for me though would be seeing the likes of Tobias etc among the songwriting credits, as those guys deserve the recognition for the stellar work they came up with when the Chinese sessions got underway and I hope the material, in some form, sees the light of day sometime soon!

Anything released under the Guns N' Roses banner with Axl Rose singing and DJ Ashba not on guitar, sign me up for!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 19AT5 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Atlas Shrugged is just not all that good?! Heard it a few times and didn't think much of it. At all.

It's not earth shattering, but I like it. Biggest complaint about the version we've heard is the way it's choppy between the verses, the vocal doesn't always fit that well in terms of rhythm, like take a breath. I guarantee he'd sound like he does on TWAT live, trying to sing this. Why does be paint himself into a corner with this stuff??

There are great parts, but ultimately this would be a weaker song on chinese as it stands. And if this is the final structure, it's a bit too close to catcher so I get why they chopped it at the last minute. 

I'd hope the arrangement has been tweaked a good bit and Axl has re-sang it with a bit more Axl(isms) by the time we hear it. 

Final thought, Axl was listening to a lot of 'Burden in my hand' era soundgarden and this was the result. 6/10 because there's a good song in there somewhere. A great slash solo, sort of the choppy verses and it's a winner. 

On 9/6/2019 at 7:19 PM, Powerage5 said:

There's all these comments about how Atlas wouldn't be a hit, doesn't have catchy hooks or a chorus, etc. People saying an album needs to have a hit song to be successful, and that's why CD failed. That is simply put, not true. Look at Exile On Main St; it's one of the biggest albums of all time, with no real hit song. It does have one song that gets played at every Stones gig, another that gets played with high regularity, and a third that's played somewhat often, but that's the closest it came to spawning any "hits". Sometimes an album can be about the full picture, the album experience, and still be successful. The lack of a mega radio hit is not what kept CD from being more successful. 

Bro I just came across your post, but seriously do you compare Chinese democracy with exile on main Street?? CD is shit no wonder why Axl didn't want to realeas it. Exile was not so popular upon realease but years later it become a landmark album not only for the Rolling Stones but for rock roll in general, Chinese democracy 13 years later doesn't grow up in fans hearts and let's be honest still sounds mediocre, to me is a record that  I Iisten once in 2 years full album that makes 6 times that I listen to it from it's November 2008 release, Exile on main Street I listen once a month, and I don't agree that it has only one hit song, rip this joint, sweet virginia, all down the line, happy, loving cup, shine a light these are played often on Rolling Stones concerts, can't say this about Chinese democracy songs nowdays

I think it's an OK song but it really doesn't sound like GnR to me. 

It would definitely need a bit of work to make it more interesting in my opinion.

I think the love for it is more an indication that we are getting desperate.