ATLAS SHRUGGED - Full Leak Discussion Thread **NO LINKS, NO ASKING / HINTING FOR LEAKS**

9 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Atlas Shrugged is just not all that good?! Heard it a few times and didn't think much of it. At all.

I like it overall, but think that it is more of a cool idea than it is something that is a great song.  Like with a bit of re-arranging and reworking I could see it being a solid tune but to me it just doesn't quite reach its potential

15 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Atlas Shrugged is just not all that good?! Heard it a few times and didn't think much of it. At all.

To me it's almost a killer song. But the chorus melody is very blah. For that reason - I don't think it would have been a good single.

This is probably the one song I've listened to most in the last 18 months since it leaked by any artist. Love the song, even it is isn't perfect, probably because I'm a huge Axl fan and desperate to hear his music. If it were a SMKC song, I'd definitely like it but probably not to the same level!

Also think I may be in the minority here but I prefer the Josh drums - simpler, cleaner and serves the song better IMO.

• GNFNR 1

16 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

I totally agree.  the version I heard sounds like an electronic turd that would be better flushed away than to let sit around. 

maybe there's a better version out there that actually is good, but I haven't heard it

Atlas, Perhaps & Hard School are all top tier rock songs.  They don't reinvent the genre, but they don't need to.  Any one of them would have elevated the 2008 album. 

If the spirit ever moves Axl to release music publicly again, I'd love to see Slash and Duff take HS for a spin.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Song is bland, tedious garbage. The only CD track this could have replaced is IRS, which I barely consider music, just a bunch of guitar noise with an Axl rant plastered on top.

Yeah, ice cream sucks too!! Such garbage!

17 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Hahaha yes, it would be hilarious. What a mess, such stellar instrumental performances wasted, only to be replaced by sub-par performances, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully they knock it out of the park. I'm still hopeful they keep some of the original (or best) work intact from the CD-era members and have Slash do a solo here and there like what Bumblefoot did when he fucked up worked on 2008's CD. In Ron's defense, some of his stuff was good.

If they keep some (or most, please God be most) of Brain's drums, and some of the best Bucket and Robin work, I'll be one smiling motherfucker when I listen to CD2 with Slash, Duff, Frank, and Melissa on it.

Don't forget Pitman's sub-bass and Tobias's original demo guitar tracks from 1990's! I'd also keep Stinson's bass tracks and just double track with Duff! No offence meant of course, but what you described there is just... absolutely awful, in my opinion. It didn't really work the first time, so I doubt a second crack at the whip using the same approach would make things any better. It also stinks of a lack of creativity. This is a band that tours the world, charges you a fortune to come listen, has three original members in it, but can't put an album together without using tracks recorded by members who left the band almost 20 years ago? 

Must soon be that time of the week for somebody to cry out for a double, triple, quadruple or quintuple album?!!??

• 9 months later...

For me, it sounds like a crossover between David Bowie and Pink Floyd in the 70's and "November Rain". Something like that, you know.

It seems so awesome as fuck. I would like to add a little guitar overdub here, using Audacity and see if I can squeeze it to the playlist. I'm sure it can be done in the future. I can't make an additional playlist for just only one track, right? Interesting song.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

For me, it sounds like a crossover between David Bowie and Pink Floyd in the 70's and "November Rain". Something like that, you know.

It seems so awesome as fuck. I would like to add a little guitar overdub here, using Audacity and see if I can squeeze it to the playlist. I'm sure it can be done in the future. I can't make an additional playlist for just only one track, right? Interesting song.

this is a weird copy of Bumblefoots quote about the song, adding a solo and trying to get in on the album and saying it'd be a waste to have it on its own disc as it didnt fit. This is just bizarre.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

The intro has some odd amalgamation of Brownstone & Jane's Addiction going on.  Overall, a pretty cool tune with a solo by May that elevates it to maybe just above average, but, the song as we have it right now never really fulfills its promise, imo, never mind living up to the over-blown hype it got before it leaked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

This sad guy really rephrased a Bumblefoot comment from ages ago and posted it as his own comment to bump this thread?

I made a comparison about this poster a few days ago that really hurt his feelings, so I wont repeat it, but it did really apply. His subsequent posts only cement it further. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oneway23 said:

Somewhat relevant aside, May plays on Perhaps as well, yes?

No... Brian May said he played on 3 songs, and Tommy confirmed a while ago that Rhiad was the third song. He does solos on Atlas and Catcher, and probably just some rhythm stuff on Rhiad (I have no idea if that version of Rhiad was in the locker leaks tbh).

IMO, the solo on Perhaps sounds a lot closer to Robin's playing on The Blues than it does to May's playing on Catcher/Atlas. :shrugs:

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...