Slash / Trunk Interview: GNR Working On New Material, NO GNR Song In Terminator

9 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Exactly. Can’t stop age. If anything, all artists (not just GnR) should be constantly trying to adjust with age. As Axl and co reach their 70s they should tune down another key, go full acoustic, slow the tempos down, etc.

oh and maybe stop dressing like they’re still 20. It’s starting to look like a costume at this point lol.

Easy there compadre, we're abusing the fast forward button a bit.  They're still only in their 50s.😄

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Easy there compadre, we're abusing the fast forward button a bit.  They're still only in their 50s.😄

Haha yeah I’m thinking 20 years down the road, assuming GnR even still exists as an active entity by then.

no joke, tho; now that the big 3 are back together, I want them to be like the stones and still play in their 70s, to make up for the lost time. I wanna see Axl walk on stage with an old man’s four-legged walker and sing Out Ta Get Me Acousticly and two keys down and at half the tempo! :P

EDIT: I just realized, once they get to an age where they HAVE to slow the songs down, frank’s playing should get better again... right?

14 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I don't know man, Slash still pulls off the rocker style pretty well. Just wish he'd not wear the hat sometimes 

He looks better with the stocking cap imo.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, djones1225 said:

Wouldn't it be badass in a couple weeks the show starts, Slash starts doing the intro to Welcome to the Jungle, the crowd goes fucking wild, then Axl comes out looking like 2006 but with his 80s/90s hair and does the best scream intro hes done in 30 years. It's a fucking dream, but can't believe the tour already starts again in a few weeks, time sure does fly by when we get all these leaks N shit.

Oh, it's a dream alright.

31 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I don't know man, Slash still pulls off the rocker style pretty well. Just wish he'd not wear the hat sometimes 

Slash has always looked awesome and continues to do so.

I'm looking forward to seeing what new things they're going to do in the set. Hope it's more UYI songs. As far as new music goes, it sounds like they might do a few singles for now and more later.

24 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

He dont have that 90's hair now... and i believe in some years he will stop dyein his hair too. Like K. Hammett or B.May. That will be a relief.... tryin to maintein that image should be a little exhausting.

---

Good to hear GNR news finally!!! yeah. Wating for Lolla Santiago Chile! With no expectations. No Illusions. Nothing. If theyll do the same shit again, ok. Do the same shit. If you put SCARFACE Intro with video and do some new songs and some "UYI deeptracks" and Axl became a skinny fit motherfucker would be perfect.

I think it's awful that even if they are working on an album .everyone knows it'll take forever and especially if they release singles awhile than ultimately the album..imagine all the tours etc that'll be even more time voided on working on an album and so on. It makes no sense...all those other songs worked on for years with Buckethead and other members are just going to mostly never get released it seems, sure maybe a few with Slash etc. but that is ridiculous ! No other band takes a million years like this to release stuff in a normal way..it is very frustrating! I'd like to hear the tons of songs we've never heard yet but are near complete..why can't they get all those finished plus a new album...why let all that work go for nothing?? Anyone disagree? Who agrees?

Edited by STPGNR4EVER

7 minutes ago, STPGNR4EVER said:

I think it's awful that even if they are working on an album .everyone knows it'll take forever and especially if they release singles awhile that ultimately the album..imagine all the tours etc that'll be even more time voided on working on an album and so on. It makes no sense...all those other songs worked on for years with Buckethead and other members are just going to mostly never get released it seems, sure maybe a few with Slash etc. but that is ridiculous ! No other band takes a million years like this to release stuff in a normal way..it is very frustrating! I'd like to hear the tons of songs we've never heard yet but are near complete..why can't they get all those finished plus a new album...why let all that work go for nothing?? Anyone disagree? Who agrees?

I don't want to hear any DJ Ashba or Bumblefoot songs/riff on a new GNR album

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, STPGNR4EVER said:

I think it's awful that even if they are working on an album .everyone knows it'll take forever and especially if they release singles awhile than ultimately the album..imagine all the tours etc that'll be even more time voided on working on an album and so on. It makes no sense...all those other songs worked on for years with Buckethead and other members are just going to mostly never get released it seems, sure maybe a few with Slash etc. but that is ridiculous ! No other band takes a million years like this to release stuff in a normal way..it is very frustrating! I'd like to hear the tons of songs we've never heard yet but are near complete..why can't they get all those finished plus a new album...why let all that work go for nothing?? Anyone disagree? Who agrees?

What I think should happen is Axl should release a limited edition "Chinese Democracy Era" boxset with all the finished Chinese recordings, get all of it so hardcore fans can have the boxset but limited so they don't have to worry about selling a ton of them to make a profit - and they can offer a digital downloadable version as well

That way, the Chinese stuff is out there and Slash and co. can release their stuff and work from a fresh, clean slate or maybe with a couple of those Chinese songs to rework.  

Edited by WhazUp

3 hours ago, djones1225 said:

Wouldn't it be badass in a couple weeks the show starts, Slash starts doing the intro to Welcome to the Jungle, the crowd goes fucking wild, then Axl comes out looking like 2006 but with his 80s/90s hair and does the best scream intro hes done in 30 years. It's a fucking dream, but can't believe the tour already starts again in a few weeks, time sure does fly by when we get all these leaks N shit.

As long as the dreads and oversized nfl shirt arnt being worn ill be happy. I dont want to see 99 all over again.

8 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

Same. 

I wond er if people have been sending him twitter posts about it?.

2 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Slash has always looked awesome and continues to do so.

I'm looking forward to seeing what new things they're going to do in the set. Hope it's more UYI songs. As far as new music goes, it sounds like they might do a few singles for now and more later.

Ithought with the record contract the band have with UMG, that its still a 90s type contract that i thought they would be still old school. In other words all singles off the album , release a single with album dropping x amount of weeks later.

I think this sounds promising. I don't think Slash would bullshut us about new material. As recent as last year, when asked about this subject, he pulled no punches and was very honest, basically saying they hadn't done squat.

With each subsequent interview, he sounds more promising, as if things are indeed moving forward steadily.

With the current batch of leaks, I hope Axl finally puts the CD era to bed and works on a full new album, written with the current band. 

• Like 3

The obsession of you guys with GNR tracks included in each new T movie is hilarious...
As for the leaks and Trunk knowing about them or not – I think maybe he’d been in the loop, but they agreed not to mention it in the interview, because that would bring it to the attention of the music mass media; whereas this way, it’s been just a fan forum matter more or less so far. 

9 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I’d honestly be ok with that. A series of singles compiled into a new album further down the road, like what RHCP did with I’m Beside You throughout 2013.

EDIT: wait I just remembered; didn’t Bumblefoot suggest this idea back in 2013 and TB rejected it?

yeah I think he did.

Think his idea was to drop a song as month then put the album out after or something.

2 hours ago, WhazUp said:

What I think should happen is Axl should release a limited edition "Chinese Democracy Era" boxset with all the finished Chinese recordings, get all of it so hardcore fans can have the boxset but limited so they don't have to worry about selling a ton of them to make a profit - and they can offer a digital downloadable version as well

That way, the Chinese stuff is out there and Slash and co. can release their stuff and work from a fresh, clean slate or maybe with a couple of those Chinese songs to rework.  

I don't think that many people outside of a few hardcore ones from this forum really care about the unreleased CD stuff. Most GNR fans want new stuff with Slash. I don't think it would be a smart idea to release something like that at all, the smart thing would be to keep all the lyrics he has written already and use them on new songs the band should be writing. That way he didn't waste all those lyrics on a couple recordings only few people really care about in the end. Axls a good lyricist and he really had something to prove/say in the CD era so why waste those lyrics for those recordings when he can use them to make a great new album

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

keep all the lyrics he has written already and use them on new songs the band should be writing. That way he didn't waste all those lyrics on a couple recordings only few people really care about in the end. Axls a good lyricist and he really had something to prove/say in the CD era so why waste those lyrics for those recordings when he can use them to make a great new album

The thing with that though is, lyrics are usually written to a song/given melody, so I am not sure if trying to fit lyrics over a completely new song the band writes could automatically work, or work more smoothly than simply creating new songs and lyrical content at the same time like a vocalist normally would

Edited by WhazUp

22 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I think simply a GNR album with more Slash input on the songs rather than going "here lay guitar on these old tracks" would sound better and more badass to me just based on what I know from them.  I am more interested in what they can come up with now rather than Axl trying to retool what he tried to do over 20 years ago on some of these songs

Can you really expect these almost 60 year olds to release something new?

These people peaked in the early 90's.

It's over now.

At least Slash and Duff (even Izzy) stayed productive all these years and had a good career. Snakepit was good, Velvet Revolver was great. Slash's solo stuff is ok. Duff's Loaded has its moments. And Izzy released a ton of albums, most of them are a bit average, but if you would take the best songs of each album and combine them it becomes impressive compared to Chinese Democracy.

A laid back Izzy ballad like Sweet Caress just feels so natural compared to everything on Chinese it's ridiculous.

What more can they do? Expectations are way too high now. We're all setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

The thing with that though is, lyrics are usually written to a song/given melody, so I am not sure if trying to fit lyrics over a completely new song the band writes could automatically work, or work more smoothly than simply creating new songs and lyrical content at the same time like a vocalist normally would

I mean you're right in the sense that sometimes lyrics are created to music already written, but I don't believe it really matters in the end. Axl wrote the lyrics to Locomotive to the finished music, but I believe the lyrics would be great in any song regardless. Like here for example, this guy covered the song in a completely different style and the lyrics still 'fit'.

I actually thought it was a decent interview. Slash managed to shoot down the rumours of the terminator single and an EP and as for album talk I think it’s good they’re recording when they’re all in LA at the same time. Given Slash has been on the road with SMKC and Duff has been touring as well then I don’t think there’s much more that can be said at this point. This interview has renewed my optimism on a album coming out. I’m hoping the changes to the set list they’re looking at doing is going to be some UYI songs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I agree. Also posts a homeage to the other players involved and cleans the slate so to speak with the current lineup.