Slash / Trunk Interview: GNR Working On New Material, NO GNR Song In Terminator

12 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I ordered one of those GN'R duffel bags on the merchandise website. Included with the bag is a t-shirt and hat. The reason I ordered it is that, while I'm probably wrong, is the possibility that maybe the t-shirt and hat could be promoting something new. Will I be displeased if it ends up being some t-shirt and hat that's been on the website for two years? Probably. But I took the chance because at least the duffel bag is a nice piece of memorabilia. Just maintaining some hope that we will get some new music this year.

Now, now, call it what it is. It's not a 'duffel bag' ....it's a 'laundry bag'. It's also the singularly most embarrassing thing the band have ever done. My heart sank when I got the email titled 'GNFNR durable laundry bag available now'. 

You'll be getting an AFD t shirt they haven't sold with it - to think otherwise is crazy talk! 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

On 09/09/2019 at 11:02 PM, rocknroll41 said:

I’d honestly be ok with that. A series of singles compiled into a new album further down the road, like what RHCP did with I’m Beside You throughout 2013.

EDIT: wait I just remembered; didn’t Bumblefoot suggest this idea back in 2013 and TB rejected it?

Yeah, that's a good way to do things. Especially in the streaming age that we're now in. It just makes sense and that means they're not gonna do it😂

Edited by Jw224
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Why cannot people just take what was said at face value. I don't get the concept of fans wanting the band to do what they want, when that's not going to happen. These guys are adults and can do as they please, when they want, and they can choose how they do those things. I often read comments on here, and don't understand why, some people get so court up in what and how the band or its members operate as individuals or as a band. 

They do things their way, always have, and the fans need to understand that, as what they say on a fan forum is not going to change anything the band or its members do. 

And yet we get fans, based on a simple interview, picking apart what was said, and than adding their own personal thoughts or turning the interview by Slash, in a completely different direction, that's not even relevant to the questions or answers provided by Slash. 

Just chill, sit back and wait. That's all us fans can do. 

What else is the forum for? Every one already kisses their asses in real life to their face. If they can't take some constructive criticism then f em!

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

slash's tone in the interview is one of an artists withdrawl 

he hates axl's ways and is bitting his lip on being tasked with re-recording and adding whatever original material he can muster but not encouraged to do so 

they are all little puppets in axl's wacky world - this would work if it was 1991 but axl don't bring that game no more 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Bumbles suggestion to release a single at the start of each tour leg was the best idea idea Axl never did anything with. Would have created some buzz and kept his band together. But I suppose, it wasn't as if he had 3 or 4 cds full with material just waiting to be released ;) 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

it wasn't as if he had 3 or 4 cds full with material just waiting to be released ;) 

As far as we know, there isnt. With the surfacing of the 20 discs we know there are a lot instrumental ideas, and 7 or so unreleased tracks with vocals. Including silkworms. 

The band sans Axl wrotte a lot of material, but little of it were actually worked by the man that should work on it. 

I honesly miss Velvet Revolver at this point and Im not even a fan of their output. 

12 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Why cannot people just take what was said at face value. I don't get the concept of fans wanting the band to do what they want, when that's not going to happen. These guys are adults and can do as they please, when they want, and they can choose how they do those things. I often read comments on here, and don't understand why, some people get so court up in what and how the band or its members operate as individuals or as a band. 

They do things their way, always have, and the fans need to understand that, as what they say on a fan forum is not going to change anything the band or its members do. 

And yet we get fans, based on a simple interview, picking apart what was said, and than adding their own personal thoughts or turning the interview by Slash, in a completely different direction, that's not even relevant to the questions or answers provided by Slash. 

Just chill, sit back and wait. That's all us fans can do. 

Yeah but they kinda, like, owe me something.

• Like 1

I am desenting in opinion from the thread. Fans. Fans of whatever or whoever, we like what teams, art , music, musical groups , and things we like no matter what.  Whatever moves you.                                                      Slash said they are going to put out new music, will add some surprises for the audiences for the fall shows, and will be touring early 2020 so far.  I take that as face value. I take it as truth.                             For me, the past music is what like because of personal reasons. Without even hearing the new cd which is not finished yet and  not available yet for purchase on line,  i don't think I 'll buy it or like it. Then again, I might love it. I don't want to hear politics or tenderness from this organization  of The Big 3 nor could I listen to a  RocketQueen type part 2. I don't live in the past. They would not make that kind of old music anyway. They don't live in the past. As someone said these are grown, adults and will do as they please. There is a huge market now for them too. The new cd will do very well, I predict with old and new fans.   Old ,dead subject, Izzy won't be a contributor to the new music. This is the business of The Big 3 and there is simply no need to do a split more than they each taking 1/3. 

On 9/10/2019 at 2:48 AM, Lethalis said:

Can you really expect these almost 60 year olds to release something new?

These people peaked in the early 90's.

It's over now.

At least Slash and Duff (even Izzy) stayed productive all these years and had a good career. Snakepit was good, Velvet Revolver was great. Slash's solo stuff is ok. Duff's Loaded has its moments. And Izzy released a ton of albums, most of them are a bit average, but if you would take the best songs of each album and combine them it becomes impressive compared to Chinese Democracy.

A laid back Izzy ballad like Sweet Caress just feels so natural compared to everything on Chinese it's ridiculous.

What more can they do? Expectations are way too high now. We're all setting ourselves up for disappointment.

You said what I tried to say. 

I don't believe for a second Slash peaked in the early 90s. Maybe true for the rest of the band though, especially Axl. Slash recorded some of his best riffs and solos as recent as 2014 IMO. I wish he hadn't wasted the Dirty Girl riff for SMKC though. Would have been a great opener for a new GNR album. Who knows how hard he wants to make a new GNR album great, I think he'll work really hard on it and we'll get something good out of them atleast one last time.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

16 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Now, now, call it what it is. It's not a 'duffel bag' ....it's a 'laundry bag'. It's also the singularly most embarrassing thing the band have ever done. My heart sank when I got the email titled 'GNFNR durable laundry bag available now'. 

You'll be getting an AFD t shirt they haven't sold with it - to think otherwise is crazy talk! 

So did i. Its a joke. The shirt will be one that doesnt sell. If this was fernandos idea, gnr need new management.

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't believe for a second Slash peaked in the early 90s. Maybe true for the rest of the band though, especially Axl. Slash recorded some of his best riffs and solos as recent as 2014 IMO. I wish he hadn't wasted the Dirty Girl riff for SMKC though. Would have been a great opener for a new GNR album. Who knows how hard he wants to make a new GNR album great, I think he'll work really hard on it and we'll get something good out of them atleast one last time.

As far as full albums go, Slash did peak in the 90's imo. Isn't that how you measure it? when the quality is so consistent you get mostly brilliant work that fills an album in a short space of time?

Even if you disagree with that, I think Slash is still always full of ideas and great riffs come naturally for him. He can come up with entire instrumentals by himself and there's always at least a few really cool tunes, riffs, and solos on every Slash release.

Slash is a stage beast. He lives to play live with a crowd. Recording was always a second priority but I agree when it comes to a Guns album. I believe he'll work hard in the studio and the result could be great if he's truly inspired. But I'm not hoping for an AFD/UYI level of brilliance but it could still be worthy enough to release as Gn'R.

Edited by Rovim

You guys, this "working really hard" in a studio is not always the main aspect though, is it. I mean, there’s no doubt they’re pros and can do it if they want, but it’s not necessarily the main prerequisite, as I perceive it as quite automatic. 
The main thing is just playing away, relaxing and going with the flow of your talent – and above all, it’s about getting together and intending to create and record the material within some time frame. 

Working really hard itself means way less than what you guys give it credit for: remember that all the CD era musicians always definitely worked really hard (as mentioned in every interview given by anyone ever) – and all we eventually got was 14 songs. Worked really hard on, undoubtedly. 

They’ve only had a few free months so far; I say if all we get in 2020 (regarding new album) is an announcement for 2021, it’s all fine. Throw in a single, and I’m happy. I prefer waiting for several extra months to getting a half-baked, rushed collection just to make the fans satisfied. 
Tomorrow, I’m gonna be working really hard on getting drunk...

42 minutes ago, jamillos said:

You guys, this "working really hard" in a studio is not always the main aspect though, is it. I mean, there’s no doubt they’re pros and can do it if they want, but it’s not necessarily the main prerequisite, as I perceive it as quite automatic. 
The main thing is just playing away, relaxing and going with the flow of your talent – and above all, it’s about getting together and intending to create and record the material within some time frame. 

Working really hard itself means way less than what you guys give it credit for: remember that all the CD era musicians always definitely worked really hard (as mentioned in every interview given by anyone ever) – and all we eventually got was 14 songs. Worked really hard on, undoubtedly. 

They’ve only had a few free months so far; I say if all we get in 2020 (regarding new album) is an announcement for 2021, it’s all fine. Throw in a single, and I’m happy. I prefer waiting for several extra months to getting a half-baked, rushed collection just to make the fans satisfied. 
Tomorrow, I’m gonna be working really hard on getting drunk...

But it is one of the main aspects. Especially if you're a musician that seems to prefer to not really invest too much time in the studio in order to take an idea to the level where it's the best it can possibly be. What's the incentive for Slash to really go for it with the Conspirators when he seems perfectly happy with the quality of material he releases every couple of years on average mainly so he can go on tour again?

We don't know how hard the CD musicians worked on the CD era tunes. My guess is they did the best they could but just because we only got 14 songs doesn't mean that that's all they worked on and finished. Axl, Robin, Slash, Duff, and Fortus all said Axl got many great unreleased songs.

When Slash worked on WOF he said Elvis pushed him to do more takes cause he felt the solos could be better and he joked about it saying he "wanted to kill him" for doing that.

I feel like a Guns album could be the biggest incentive for Slash to not just use the first good idea he comes up with or the first takes of a lead and maybe try something that is a little more out of his comfort zone. A different attitude/a slightly different approach can definitely improve results and is an important factor.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Let's hope that Slash gets super motivated by the perspective of making a Guns N' Roses album, maybe the final one.

I'm afraid he's buying to much into that whole guitar hero thing though. Must be hard to challenge yourself when everybody tells you how great you are, all day, every day.

Please no more Conspirators.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

We don't know how hard the CD musicians worked on the CD era tunes. My guess is they did the best they could but just because we only got 14 songs doesn't mean that that's all they worked on and finished. Axl, Robin, Slash, Duff, and Fortus all said Axl got many great unreleased songs.

No, we kinda do have the idea from the interviews (Brain in particular) and all the "takes" (drums +1 dB, drums –1 dB, with ambient noise, wind in the chimney, owl screech behind the window, etc.). Otherwise, that is my point – even if they work hard, it’s about the general consensus regarding when to record and/or release what. 

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

I feel like a Guns album could be the biggest incentive for Slash to not just use the first good idea he comes up with or the first takes of a lead and maybe try something that is a little more out of his comfort zone. A different attitude/a slightly different approach can definitely improve results and is an important factor.

Like I said, I believe since they’re professionals, the hardworking sort of comes with the "job", and rather than some special incentives I think they just need some time, serenity, and focus. After all, they are aware this is not a solo project and the whole world is gonna be closely concentrating on whatever they come up with. They never had a problem with the hard-work approach in the past GNR albums as far as I know. And sometimes the first idea is the best one – see the SCOM riff story.

I guess what I'm saying here is let's just let them be and trust their judgment and talent; they know how to do this. 

Edited by jamillos

22 minutes ago, jamillos said:

No, we kinda do have the idea from the interviews (Brain in particular) and all the "takes" (drums +1 dB, drums –1 dB, with ambient noise, wind in the chimney, owl screech behind the window, etc.). Otherwise, that is my point – even if they work hard, it’s about the general consensus regarding when to record and/or release what. 

Like I said, I believe since they’re professionals, the hardworking sort of comes with the "job", and rather than some special incentives I think they just need some time, serenity, and focus. After all, they are aware this is not a solo project and the whole world is gonna be closely concentrating on whatever they come up with. They’ve never had a problem with the hard-work approach in the past GNR albums as far as I know. And sometimes the first idea is the best one – see the SCOM riff story.

I guess what I'm saying here is let's just let them be and trust their judgment and talent; they know how to do this. 

Being aware this is not a solo project but a Guns album, maybe the last one is the potential incentive for Slash I was talking about. The fact that he needs an incentive to do more takes or invest more time and thought in the recording process is kind of an indication of how hard Slash prefers to work.

I gave you the Elvis WOF example to support my opinion that Slash's ideal way of recording might be to not do a lot of takes and refine an idea or even explore too much. He doesn't labor over it. Seems to want to just play and enjoy the process and complete it as soon as possible so he can get to touring it asap.

Axl said Appetite was "worked on and worked on". For UYI Axl and Slash had phone conversations about Slash's solos where they discussed moving a certain note in the solo to a different place or playing a different one instead.

Being a professional guitar player, one of the best in the case of Slash still doesn't mean he'll always work as hard as he can. He decides what his priorities are and how much energy he'd like to invest in a specific project.

There's nothing wrong with how Slash does it but I'm guessing it's not a matter of being more focused in his case, it's caring enough/more about the quality of his work so he invests more effort into it.

Seeing as how he himself is pleased with the quality of his solo output I'm just hoping he'll aim higher as the lead guitar player in Guns.

Edited by Rovim

I’m not disagreeing with you; all I’m saying is they’ve always been professional and worked hard – so much that I sort of take it for granted a little bit. What’s important more now imo is sufficient time, focus, and willingness to actually put it all together, with their own momentum. Hardworking should not be an issue on their level of musicianship...