Slash / Trunk Interview: GNR Working On New Material, NO GNR Song In Terminator

18 minutes ago, default_ said:

I think that ship has sailed even for Slash lol the guy likes to work and do things fast, its almost four years now since the reunion, he probably lost interest already. 

Nah I’m pretty sure he knew right from the get-go that it would be like this. I remember before ChiDem came out he said stuff like “Axl just works in a different time zone from everyone else, cause ten years to everyone else is just a tick in the clock to him.” I’m sure he knew that if a new GnR album were to ever happen, it’d take long.

56 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I think some of you really don't know how it's perfectly reasonable to be active, writing and performing music after the 60s and even the 70s. Sure it will be different, but so are we. 

as if something was ever "reasonable" in GNR world.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

That was 1995. The difference now is - besides, I assume, all being more mature and everything - is that Slash has his own permanent vehicle to do his "fast" thing, so it won't be such a problem to work on a slower pace for Guns. And, who knows, maybe Axl has improved a bit in that department as well.

Surely if there is something Axl has gotten the hang of in the last 25 years is getting records done and released in a timely manner.

You don't give enough credit to these guys and act as if they are children. Adults work out differences and compromise to make things work for all individuals involved. Given that fact that Axl and Slash have reconciled, I would assume both have compromised on past issues and moved forward. However they choose to progress with new music, these guys have been around the industry and experienced all aspects both good and bad. I am sure Slash is fully aware of what he is getting himself into. 

Edited by kiwiguns

5 hours ago, zombux said:

as if something was ever "reasonable" in GNR world.

Well, I'm only talking about aging here, not the way the band works and/or release their work. I don't think anyone would retire in a foreseeable future, and at least Axl already explained he has no intention of doing such a thing.

11 hours ago, Rovim said:

Being aware this is not a solo project but a Guns album, maybe the last one is the potential incentive for Slash I was talking about. The fact that he needs an incentive to do more takes or invest more time and thought in the recording process is kind of an indication of how hard Slash prefers to work.

I gave you the Elvis WOF example to support my opinion that Slash's ideal way of recording might be to not do a lot of takes and refine an idea or even explore too much. He doesn't labor over it. Seems to want to just play and enjoy the process and complete it as soon as possible so he can get to touring it asap.

Axl said Appetite was "worked on and worked on". For UYI Axl and Slash had phone conversations about Slash's solos where they discussed moving a certain note in the solo to a different place or playing a different one instead.

Being a professional guitar player, one of the best in the case of Slash still doesn't mean he'll always work as hard as he can. He decides what his priorities are and how much energy he'd like to invest in a specific project.

There's nothing wrong with how Slash does it but I'm guessing it's not a matter of being more focused in his case, it's caring enough/more about the quality of his work so he invests more effort into it.

Seeing as how he himself is pleased with the quality of his solo output I'm just hoping he'll aim higher as the lead guitar player in Guns.

I see your point here especially when you study Slash' late work, but I think Axl will ask a lot from the band in the studio because he seems to be very very serious about the final product so Slash will need to bring his A game in terms of dedication to satisfy Axl. 

26 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

I see your point here especially when you study Slash' late work, but I think Axl will ask a lot from the band in the studio because he seems to be very very serious about the final product so Slash will need to bring his A game in terms of dedication to satisfy Axl. 

Ax has 0 confidence when it comes down to songwriting.  He is capable of wasting 2 or 3 centuries over 1 song.

W/o guys like Izzy and Matt on board who are capable of pushing things, with Duff who lost his balls long time ago and Slash who will not risk to step on Axl's toes, I don't see how many centuries they will need even if they began recording yesterday.

Edited by shotsfired cro

On 9/10/2019 at 2:48 AM, Lethalis said:

Can you really expect these almost 60 year olds to release something new?

These people peaked in the early 90's.

It's over now.

At least Slash and Duff (even Izzy) stayed productive all these years and had a good career. Snakepit was good, Velvet Revolver was great. Slash's solo stuff is ok. Duff's Loaded has its moments. And Izzy released a ton of albums, most of them are a bit average, but if you would take the best songs of each album and combine them it becomes impressive compared to Chinese Democracy.

A laid back Izzy ballad like Sweet Caress just feels so natural compared to everything on Chinese it's ridiculous.

What more can they do? Expectations are way too high now. We're all setting ourselves up for disappointment.

You're totally right, I'm going to ratchet my expectations way down to Rick Astley and Stacey Q territory. 

Edited by lame ass security

8 hours ago, GNRmello77 said:

I believe in Slash's ability when it comes to delivering ideas Axl will like enough to use. I think Slash n' Duff will do everything they can to come up with shit Axl will be content with. My guess is Axl will want Slash to play on existing material and new material. Slash can come up with riffs that Axl will use as well. They seem to communicate better, less ego involved, more professional attitude which is great. They can do it.

But I'm still concerned about Axl's approach: to me it's not a question of "will he tinker?" it's how much tinkering will take place this time. They could complete a great album and Axl is capable of still not releasing it cause maybe they can improve it. Maybe with the 2 of them back in Guns and the support they showed him when it comes to the Chinese era material he'll have more artistic confidence. One can only hope.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I think some of you really don't know how it's perfectly reasonable to be active, writing and performing music after the 60s and even the 70s. Sure it will be different, but so are we. 

That is true, in fact I even heard that the working title for the album they will put out in their late 60's will be called "Chinese Dentures" featuring the epic ballad "There Was A Time (I Wasn't Using A Walker)" 

Edited by WhazUp
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rovim said:

I believe in Slash's ability when it comes to delivering ideas Axl will like enough to use. I think Slash n' Duff will do everything they can to come up with shit Axl will be content with. My guess is Axl will want Slash to play on existing material and new material. Slash can come up with riffs that Axl will use as well. They seem to communicate better, less ego involved, more professional attitude which is great. They can do it.

But I'm still concerned about Axl's approach: to me it's not a question of "will he tinker?" it's how much tinkering will take place this time. They could complete a great album and Axl is capable of still not releasing it cause maybe they can improve it. Maybe with the 2 of them back in Guns and the support they showed him when it comes to the Chinese era material he'll have more artistic confidence. One can only hope.

The one thing that gives me hope is that the people at the label will actually say "this sounds great, you should release it ASAP," rather than what Axl got told when he thought he had CD ready "you only have 2 or 3 good songs here." I don't know, I'm looking for hope wherever I can find it!

19 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Ax has 0 confidence when it comes down to songwriting.  He is capable of wasting 2 or 3 centuries over 1 song.

W/o guys like Izzy and Matt on board who are capable of pushing things, with Duff who lost his balls long time ago and Slash who will not risk to step on Axl's toes, I don't see how many centuries they will need even if they began recording yesterday.

this times 100

i think the irony is that even though axl slash and duff have dismissed the idea to each other that they need guys like izzy and matt to make themselves feel better about themselves, they are porogressively realizing the inconvenient truth that they cannot write shit without their boys - the big 3 are not the big 3 - they are missing the crucial element of izzy to make another guns 

record that gives JUSTICE to the legacy and does not tarnish it 

if i was axl i would leak all the CD era shit like he's been doing and bring izzy back in full fold, FIRE the Aliens - write this album with a 3 week deadline whereby the orignals bring in MATT not steven and write the biggest ODE to GUNS possible - 10 tracks thats it and start from the basics - you need axl and izzy in a room thats it 

then they can throw out their skeletons to slash for further development 

then the farewell tour highlights their songs and some of the classics and they can take a big breath of fresh air and continue their lives as if they were the STONES and make the real MULLA they want to make none of this half ass cash grab shit anymore - AXL SMARTEN UP THIS IS YOUR LAST MOTHERFUCKING CHANCE ACT NOW OR FOREVER BE KNOWN AS A DOUCHE WHO STEPPED IT UP FOR ACDC BUT COULDN"T EVEN STEP IT UP FOR YOUR OWN BAND 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

this times 100

i think the irony is that even though axl slash and duff have dismissed the idea to each other that they need guys like izzy and matt to make themselves feel better about themselves, they are porogressively realizing the inconvenient truth that they cannot write shit without their boys - the big 3 are not the big 3 - they are missing the crucial element of izzy to make another guns 

record that gives JUSTICE to the legacy and does not tarnish it 

if i was axl i would leak all the CD era shit like he's been doing and bring izzy back in full fold, FIRE the Aliens - write this album with a 3 week deadline whereby the orignals bring in MATT not steven and write the biggest ODE to GUNS possible - 10 tracks thats it and start from the basics - you need axl and izzy in a room thats it 

then they can throw out their skeletons to slash for further development 

then the farewell tour highlights their songs and some of the classics and they can take a big breath of fresh air and continue their lives as if they were the STONES and make the real MULLA they want to make none of this half ass cash grab shit anymore - AXL SMARTEN UP THIS IS YOUR LAST MOTHERFUCKING CHANCE ACT NOW OR FOREVER BE KNOWN AS A DOUCHE WHO STEPPED IT UP FOR ACDC BUT COULDN"T EVEN STEP IT UP FOR YOUR OWN BAND 

I've also said they should film the recording process for a netflix documentary. Would be huge!

I dont want this thread to go into another Izzy discussion like every thread on here, but they should bring Izzy in on a songwriter, we all know Izzy doesnt really give 2 fucks about touring anymore, Izzy's stuff has that maturity that was lacking in CD and all the conspirators material, Axl writes damn good but its obviously lacking a ingredient, if Izzy writes a rough sketch of lyrics, Axl fills in the blanks it'll be damn good.

1 hour ago, djones1225 said:

I dont want this thread to go into another Izzy discussion like every thread on here, but they should bring Izzy in on a songwriter, we all know Izzy doesnt really give 2 fucks about touring anymore, Izzy's stuff has that maturity that was lacking in CD and all the conspirators material, Axl writes damn good but its obviously lacking a ingredient, if Izzy writes a rough sketch of lyrics, Axl fills in the blanks it'll be damn good.

where did you get that idea?  From Duff vtryin to explain why Iz is missing!? who wants to record but not tour???

forget it, Izzy cis not stupid.  Forget that 'Izzy does not want to tour' shit, give him equal share and you will see him touring and recording