10/07/19 - Wichita, KS - INTRUST Bank Arena **Locomotive played for the first time since 1992**

alfierose

6 minutes ago, moreblack said:

You wouldn't believe the amount of people that are there just for November Rain, Jungle, PC, Patience and SCOM. And everything else is a deep cut.

If a casual fan doesn't know a deep cut they will most likely say...."must be off that chinese album, ive never heard that album"

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

What's the point in that? Yeah, he recorded the drums for the album but he didn't write the music ... If anything you should be reaching out to Adler ...

Don't you think we already know what Adler would say? There's no need to ask really. Matt would give a more objective opinion

51 minutes ago, bdinan said:

When I went to the MetLife shows, people seemed legitimately lost during most of the non "hit" songs

I can't believe people who go to shows havent listened to the UYIs. They're big albums with many of their hits on it.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

The casual "fan" wasn't along for the ride like most of us here. The band was essentially nonexistent to those folks from 94-15.

If you ask a casual fan to name the drummer prior to the intros, they may not be able to.

90% of the crowds are simply not into the chinese songs. 

Hate to sound like an elitist snob, but the forum people have pretty much become the minority at guns shows.  

1 hour ago, moreblack said:

You forgot the most important best one, they gotta bring back Train Kept a Rollin'

I was thinking today, I wish they’d stick that bit of train kept a Rollin into the DTJ intro again. 

But that wistful thinking aside, I think this has been the best leg of the NITL tour so far. The set minus the covers and being a bit shorter works better. The blues Jam is a nice addition. Locomotive having a video hopefully means it could be a regular. Axl sounds good, frank nailed locomotive. 

Someone made a point earlier about this band learning a song together like locomotive made it sound tighter first time out than some of the regulars. I think this is a good point and it’d be nice for this Guns to pull out some other of the illusions tracks. 

I don’t think that anything off appetite, lies, UYI 1 or UYI 2 would be considered a deep cut. It’s the only material the band had available for 20 years. Anyone who likes Guns N Roses owns or has heard those 4 albums. And they sold in the shit ton millions. 

That performance of Locomotive had a bit of the old energy or danger about it. It was a risk. They need to take more, it tightens them up. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

I really cant fathom casual fans paying over 100.00 for a ticket and wanting to listen to maybe 3 songs, WTTJ, patience and SCOM and then just leaving.

It's for real! 3 or 4 people around me got up and left after SCOM and never came back so they missed Patience, Nightrain and other big songs. It's crazy.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

I I think this has been the best leg of the NITL tour so far. The set minus the covers and being a bit shorter works better.

Geez. Get your head out of your ass. That they played Locomotive is great, yes. But they ditched Coma for that. And a 3 hour 40 minutes show is always better than a short one.

And seriously, Train kept a rollin? Another fucking cover?? They can do that once they played the fuck out of all the Illusion songs. Before that, any of those are far better options.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bdinan said:

The casual "fan" wasn't along for the ride like most of us here. The band was essentially nonexistent to those folks from 94-15.

If you ask a casual fan to name the drummer prior to the intros, they may not be able to.

90% of the crowds are simply not into the chinese songs. 

Hate to sound like an elitist snob, but the forum people have pretty much become the minority at guns shows.  

In terms of your last paragraph, you may well be right. The casual fan would either have itunes or spotify to at least listen to the bands back catalogue. Its like going to a metallica concert and paying over 100.00 to hear enter sandman and nothing else matters and then leaving.....😕

I kinda see a live gig as a movie or a theatre performance, meaning it should keep me engaged the whole time and needs to have this certain flow. 3 h 40 mins would be way too much.

On a side note: a Finnish music magazine made a short article of Guns playing Locomotive for their website. That was neat. Some people obviously care.

13 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

In terms of your last paragraph, you may well be right. The casual fan would either have itunes or spotify to at least listen to the bands back catalogue. Its like going to a metallica concert and paying over 100.00 to hear enter sandman and nothing else matters and then leaving.....😕

Metallica have a better fanbase. In the s3nse that a looooot of they fans know a lot of songs. Oviously there are casuals... but not like there is at a guns show. In the 'TALLICA took great care of their fanbase and that paid off

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Geez. Get your head out of your ass. That they played Locomotive is great, yes. But they ditched Coma for that. And a 3 hour 40 minutes show is always better than a short one.

And seriously, Train kept a rollin? Another fucking cover?? They can do that once they played the fuck out of all the Illusion songs. Before that, any of those are far better options.

Ahhh it’s ok.

I’m only talking about that little bit of the intro riff they used to jam on DTJ. Not a cover. NOT a cover. 3 times should cover that for you.

i thought he sang locomotive better than coma, but that’s just me. 

I personally will take a shorter set with less covers. But that’s just me.

Have a cup of tea or something. There there. I’m only some randomer on the interwebs. 

Edited by Powderfinger
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. After the money they are asking, they better give a long show. You can leave, if it's too long for you.

That's not how it works. Bloating a 2 - 2.5 hour setlist with covers and solos is making it longer for the sake of it. No one wants that. 

Give me a shorter setlist that doesn't make you fall asleep, I'll take it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GNRfanMILO said:

That's not how it works. Bloating a 2 - 2.5 hour setlist with covers and solos is making it longer for the sake of it. No one wants that. 

Give me a shorter setlist that doesn't make you fall asleep, I'll take it.

I saw 21 shows on that tour. And I saw no one fall asleep. If you can't appreciate a band giving you something for your money and giving their all for 3 and a half hours, maybe that band isn't for you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I don't understand how anyone could expect the average GNR fan to know Locomotive. 

Any self respecting GNR fan would know Locomotive. 

Would you even call Greatest Hits buying concert goers actual fans? I wouldn't. Just casual music fans who want to tick off GNR from their bucket list.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Any self respecting GNR fan would know Locomotive. 

Would you even call Greatest Hits buying concert goers actual fans? I wouldn't. Just casual music fans who want to tick off GNR from their bucket list.

In reality there is an in-between between hard core fans like us and casual fans who only know the radio hits.  For example the person I struck up a conversation with next to me at the GNR show in San Diego back in 2016 really liked the show and even was a Buckethead fan and liked CD, and told me he heard the Illusions as a whole long ago but didn't know all of them by memory (mentioned this after Coma was played and asked me what it was)

You can not know a 7+ minute deep cut from a double album released in 1991 and still be a GNR fan

• GNFNR 1

I personally think that GNR have enough back catalogue to fill out with “their” songs without filling in with covers... BHS witchita, seeker, slither (I’ll get some people disagreeing) but all those should be retired for the short term imo. I still have no issue with LALD or KOHD as those have been staples for 30 years. 

Locomotive being played should give every hardcore fan hope that the band still have some setlist tricks up their sleeves in the future! Personally I’d love to see an acoustic set or something later on down the line but for now I’m certainly not complaining. 

As for the rick situation, I think there is definitely 2 sides to the story here and id personally be interested to hear from rick on the forum answer a few questions. Someone in this thread alluded to the point that rick was paid 10-15k by TB not to leak the songs??? Can anyone confirm if that’s true? Can rick confirm or deny that point? For me personally if he had an agreement with TB and took the money and was then responsible for the leaks then that’s a fairly average act if that took place. 

Edited by Tadsy

57 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

I saw 21 shows on that tour. And I saw no one fall asleep. If you can't appreciate a band giving you something for your money and giving their all for 3 and a half hours, maybe that band isn't for you.

I totally appreciate the 3 hour show but I'd appreciate them dropping most of these covers to replace them with their own songs. Preferably newer ones. Playing Locomotive was a good start

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

In reality there is an in-between between hard core fans like us and casual fans who only know the radio hits.  For example the person I struck up a conversation with next to me at the GNR show in San Diego back in 2016 really liked the show and even was a Buckethead fan and liked CD, and told me he heard the Illusions as a whole long ago but didn't know all of them by memory (mentioned this after Coma was played and asked me what it was)

You can not know a 7+ minute deep cut from a double album released in 1991 and still be a GNR fan

No, you can't. When you're a fan of band who only has released 4 albums in 30 years, you know every song. Or you just simply are not a fan but a casual listener.

Just now, Crowebar said:

I totally appreciate the 3 hour show but I'd appreciate them dropping most of these covers to replace them with their own songs. Preferably newer ones. Playing Locomotive was a good start

Obviously all original songs top any cover. But any cover tops shorter shows.

• Like 2

I've been a gnr follower since afd and doing covers like bhs/wichita line/others indefinitely makes zero sense. Especially after 3 years. They can do what they want to obviously but variety is the spice of life they say. Bet you a nickel they all felt happy after dusting off Loco. They all probably needed that. Hopefully it inspires them to keep doing more of the same 👍🏻

9 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

No, you can't. When you're a fan of band who only has released 4 albums in 30 years, you know every song. Or you just simply are not a fan but a casual listener.

I dunno, to me I don't necessarily look at being a fan of something as a strictly binary concept in that way 

• GNFNR 1

18 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I dunno, to me I don't necessarily look at being a fan of something as a strictly binary concept in that way 

Considering that fan comes from fanatic, knowing the songs of the band a person claims to be a fan of is the least anyone can expect. So yes, it is strict.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Considering that fan comes from fanatic to expect that you know the songs of the band you claim to be a fan of is the least anyone can expect. So yes, it is strict.

I still disagree.  As long as someone knows a decent percentage of the songs and shells out money to see them live, I consider them a fan, regardless of anything else, I wouldn't demote them as a casual if GNR busted out a random deep cut 7+ minute long song from 1991 and they not necessarily know or remember that specific song

So the person next to me knew Chinese and heard the Illusions long ago and didn't remember Coma and asked me what it was - I still consider that person a fan

This is gonna get circular really fast so I will just put a coda on it by saying all in all I agree with Russ' original point regarding Locomotive

Edited by WhazUp
  • GNFNR 1