10/07/19 - Wichita, KS - INTRUST Bank Arena **Locomotive played for the first time since 1992**

alfierose

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Cause there's no time for breathing. They chopped that vocal track in studio a lot, it's overlapping a bit (or close to it) on a lot of lines. Kinda like what they do with rap songs. Try to follow Axl just with speaking and pronounce every word and you'll see what I mean 

I thought Don't Damn Me is the hardest song to sing. That's why GNR never played it live. That's one of the best GNR songs. 

14 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. And there's where we disagree. Some people use the term "fan" to lightlly.... kinda like calling all the people following you on Facebook "friends". Well, they are not. And it's not just a random 2 minute throw away forgettable song. It's a 7+ minute semi-epic in an already small back catalog of 3 albums.

What has life done to you, tell us my child. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Gotta disagree with your argument here that any casual fan should know Locomotive. It’s one of the deepest cuts in the bands catalogue. 

Let me give you some perspective. My favorite band has 16 albums. I’ll have seen them 135 times by this time next week. I’ve spent...far more money on them than I care to admit. There’s probably about 10 tracks from albums (I.e. not B-sides or anything) that they could play and I would only vaguely recognize or not be familiar with enough that I know what they are offhand. These songs are the same tier of obscurity as Locomotive. So...does that mean I’m not a real fan of this band?

If you know the fucking album, you know the fucking song. If you don't know the fucking album of a band who has not 16, but 3 fucking albums you're not a fan, but a casual listener, who probably owns a greatest hits album. I feel like I'm repeating myself here. GnR catalog is so tiny, that there are no obscure songs to fans.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

If you know the fucking album, you know the fucking song. If you don't know the fucking album of a band who has not 16, but 3 fucking albums you're not a fan, but a casual listener, who probably owns a greatest hits album. I feel like I'm repeating myself here. GnR catalog is so tiny, that there are no obscure songs to fans.

This whole idea is so foreign to me. 

I have a weekly music gathering at my house nearly every Friday. All of the regulars outside of me "know UYI I & II" but none of them would know Locomotive. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Gotta disagree with your argument here that any casual fan should know Locomotive. It’s one of the deepest cuts in the bands catalogue. 

Let me give you some perspective. My favorite band has 16 albums. I’ll have seen them 135 times by this time next week. I’ve spent...far more money on them than I care to admit. There’s probably about 10 tracks from albums (I.e. not B-sides or anything) that they could play and I would only vaguely recognize or not be familiar with enough that I know what they are offhand. These songs are the same tier of obscurity as Locomotive. So...does that mean I’m not a real fan of this band?

Iron Maiden's never given their fans a 15 year new music drought like GN'R did though. Besides, the real GN'R fans know Locomotive, Rocket Queen and Coma are dark horse favorites. When you remove the duplicates, and cover songs from the Slash/Axl era albums, you have like what 40 original songs?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I have a weekly music gathering at my house nearly every Friday. All of the regulars outside of me "know UYI I & II" but none of them would know Locomotive. 

I agree, everyone I know would know Use Your Illusions but would not know that song.  Its not like it was on the radio

• GNFNR 1

I have always known the song :shrugs:

And I was a casual fan for a long time, before I got interested in the whole Chinese Democracy saga. My girlfriend was actually a bigger fan of GnR than I was. She owns the AFD, UYI I and II laying around here. I only bought CD :lol:

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The  idea to think that someone would know an album, but not know this song, like it's the Bermuda triangle, is foreign to me. If they "know" the albun, but don't know the almost 9 Minute song on it then guess what, they do not really know that album.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

The  idea to think that someone would know an album, but not know this song, like it's the Bermuda triangle, is foreign to me. If they "know" the albun, but don't know the almost 9 Minute song on it then guess what, they do not really know that album.

I guess it's to do with how people listen to music nowadays? Back in the day, a cd was expensive. So when you got a cd, you'd listen to it. To the whole cd, not just a couple of songs. I knew every song of every cd I ever bought. Not saying I knew all the lyrics, and over time of course you skip things, but I'd heard every song. And if I was out with my Walkman, it wasn't that easy to skip, so I'd just listen to the whole thing through.

Plus, like you say, it's a long and epic song. It was one of the favourites back in the day for us.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lio said:

I guess it's to do with how people listen to music nowadays? Back in the day, a cd was expensive. So when you got a cd, you'd listen to it. To the whole cd, not just a couple of songs. I knew every song of every cd I ever bought. Not saying I knew all the lyrics, and over time of course you skip things, but I'd heard every song. And if I was out with my Walkman, it wasn't that easy to skip, so I'd just listen to the whole thing through.

Plus, like you say, it's a long and epic song. It was one of the favourites back in the day for us.

Exactly this. In a spotify-world albums are less and less relevant. Which makes me, as a huge album fan, very sad. 

It's like Lio said, you'd listen over and over and form a certain bond with a record. Now it's all disposable interchangable background music. There's no deep-dives, it's more shallow. 

Anyway, that's my old-man ramblings. 

Edited by username
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

the 3 main GNR albums were such a huge part of my youth, I'd listen to them over and over on my cd player. But unconsciously, I'd gravitate to the songs I liked and tended to skip some songs like bad apples, coma and locomotive for various reasons. I only had vague notions of those songs, back in the day, and that was as being a heavy listener of the albums.

So I can understand that, with me being a huge fan of the albums only having vague notions on some songs, not everyone who "knows" the albums "know" every song

As far as long songs not being accessable to the masses look at November Rain - not exactly a funny little 3-minute pop tune either, but a lot of "casual" fans know it and it's the most viewed GNR video on YouTube. Those epics strike a chord that makes you connect on a different level. The complexity and meandering of the music along with deep lyrics and crazy good musicianship is something you just don't find around the corner. AFD sure is their most iconic and overall "perfect" album, but imo UYI II and Chinese Democracy have the better songs and these should be played a lot more often in concert. But I understand I belong to a minority there. :lol:

• Like 1

As a drummer, I  thought Frank did a solid job on Locomotive.  I was trying to figure out who hit the bad chord at the beginning of the song right after Duffs bass spot that 5th chord. ouch.  They started the next section too early.  Its all good though, its live and first time playing it live in a couple of years.  :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

As far as long songs not being accessable to the masses look at November Rain - not exactly a funny little 3-minute pop tune either, but a lot of "casual" fans know it and it's the most viewed GNR video on YouTube. Those epics strike a chord that makes you connect on a different level. The complexity and meandering of the music along with deep lyrics and crazy good musicianship is something you just don't find around the corner. AFD sure is their most iconic and overall "perfect" album, but imo UYI II and Chinese Democracy have the better songs and these should be played a lot more often in concert. But I understand I belong to a minority there. :lol:

At one point..and maybe still is, that was the most viewed music video on YouTube (NR).  The song may not be a 3 minute radio-friendly tune, but it is far from a deep track. 

As to the rest of your opinion.....nah, it's all good :)

5 hours ago, DPR714 said:

As a drummer, I  thought Frank did a solid job on Locomotive.  I was trying to figure out who hit the bad chord at the beginning of the song right after Duffs bass spot that 5th chord. ouch.  They started the next section too early.  Its all good though, its live and first time playing it live in a couple of years.  :lol:

Right? I think Axl went into the next section to early and everybody else followed, surprisingly well I must say. I didn't check it though.

19 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Right? I think Axl went into the next section to early and everybody else followed, surprisingly well I must say. I didn't check it though.

I meant to say that the "they"  I was referring to was the guitar player either Slash or Richard. Axl started at the right spot at the beginning of the song.  Its all good though.

2 hours ago, BreakDown2014 said:

What second are you referring to? To me it sounds just like the album version

OK just went back to listen to the album version and I stand corrected. It was/is correct.

It just sound s like a mis-chord on that video.  It really stands out when listening through earbuds, it was the chord at 19 seconds.

On 10/9/2019 at 9:25 PM, PatrickS77 said:

my eight year old named AXL whos been to 2 shows, heard back off last night and said, i never heard this one. guess hes not a fan. SO LOCK IT UP DEMI.

• Haha 4

Locomotive is one of the bands best tracks 

who cares if someone doesn’t know it 

it’s a original and badass 

If u like Slash and don’t know Locomotive that’s very odd - I guess I’m so glad I grew up in the prime time to see bands make great music 

Coma and Locomotive should have been on the regular setlist from the get go in 1991 

no excuse they were not 

Badass numbers 

• GNFNR 1