10/11/19 - Austin, TX - Austin City Limits

alfierose

1 hour ago, rockphantom said:

Only for nostalgic purposes. Austin is a special place for me.

You're setting yourself up for maximum disappointment comparing with 1993. You realize how long ago that was? The guy who's quoting you right now wasn't even born when you saw that show. And I couldn't disagree more. The band is on fire, it's Axl who is the weak link, not the band.

Atleast wait until you hear how the new music is before you decide to bury GNR in your nostalgia graveyard. Slash released some of my favourite stuff he's ever done as late as 5 years ago. He Axl and Duff can surely make some more great music together, but those live shows are never going to live up to 1993. The closest thing to that was 2016 in ACDC. Axl totally put everything he had into that and it was as good as any vocals he's ever done, so there is something left in the tank to be excited about.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

32 minutes ago, rocco said:

Literally no pressure, cause EVERY drummer is better than Lars :D

Lara isn’t that bad. Although clearly nowhere near his AJFA skills he does fine - it’s not like he is playing simple stuff. I was VERY impressed with his performance at S&M2.

But yeah - glad the naysayers are at least acknowledging Franks clearly improving links with Duff etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Garden of Guns N Roses said:

Someone pointed out that he was having problems singing Nightrain as well which is a song he usually performs pretty well imo. 

You should've seen some of the absolutely horrific Nightrain performances from 2018. There were a good few shows where Axl totally blew it.

32 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

You should've seen some of the absolutely horrific Nightrain performances from 2018. There were a good few shows where Axl totally blew it.

That might be true ...  :)

I just thought it was surprising that he was having problems with this song after he sang it really well in the past consecutive nights. 

I should state that the 3 2016 GNR gigs I caught were fantastic. Last night's show wasn't enjoyable for several reasons.

1. Cold weather

2. Lack of reserved seat. Having to keep my guard up all night, made it hard to relax and get into the show. I'm just too old for GA shows. My sense of balance is off, so one unexpected shove in the wrong direction and it could be Donnington '88 all over again. I thank my strong friends Tim and Pete for protecting me.

3. Stale, predictable, setlist. I knew I was sick of the NITL set in August of 2017 when I was tracking the Apollo broadcast flac set and quickly fast forwarded through the show. I'm thankful most covers were dropped. 

4. The attitude and swagger from the golden era wasn't there. The ACL show seemed like a typical modern day corporate rock show promoted by Live Nation.

5. Monitoring my M10 audio recorder was not fun. I can tell you the first 30 seconds of It's So Easy are likely distorted. It was also windy and I was surrounded by screamers. The top GNR live recording producer will edit my master. Let's see what he can do with it.

Edited by rockphantom
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, rockphantom said:

5. Monitoring my M10 audio recorder was not fun. I can tell you the first 30 seconds of It's So Easy are likely distorted. It was also windy and I was surrounded by screamers. The top GNR live recording producer will edit my master. Let's see what he can do with it.

Im looking forward to hearing it :)

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're setting yourself up for maximum disappointment comparing with 1993. You realize how long ago that was? The guy who's quoting you right now wasn't even born when you saw that show. And I couldn't disagree more. The band is on fire, it's Axl who is the weak link, not the band.

Atleast wait until you hear how the new music is before you decide to bury GNR in your nostalgia graveyard. Slash released some of my favourite stuff he's ever done as late as 5 years ago. He Axl and Duff can surely make some more great music together, but those live shows are never going to live up to 1993. The closest thing to that was 2016 in ACDC. Axl totally put everything he had into that and it was as good as any vocals he's ever done, so there is something left in the tank to be excited about.

It doesn't help that aside from Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy the rest of the lineup is pretty corny and blahh.  If that wasn't the case it would offset Axl's shortcomings a little more. I do believe Axl is doing the best he can with what he still has left too. For the most part anyway.. Taking care of himself wouldn't hurt his performance. 

7 hours ago, rocco said:

Literally no pressure, cause EVERY drummer is better than Lars :D

Not Frank

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It doesn't help that aside from Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy the rest of the lineup is pretty corny and blahh.  If that wasn't the case it would offset Axl's shortcomings a little more. I do believe Axl is doing the best he can with what he still has left too. For the most part anyway.. Taking care of himself wouldn't hurt his performance. 

Not Frank

Even though I really don't like Frank in the GN'R context, I can guarantee you that he's a hundred times better than Lars. Seriously. I used to be a hardcore Metallica fan (Tattoos and all) and I still kind of am, but I can not listen to any live footage from, say, 2010 on any more, because he's just THAT sloppy.

Edited by rocco