Jump to content
alfierose

10/11/19 - Austin, TX - Austin City Limits

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, rockphantom said:

 

5. Monitoring my M10 audio recorder was not fun. I can tell you the first 30 seconds of It's So Easy are likely distorted. It was also windy and I was surrounded by screamers. The top GNR live recording producer will edit my master. Let's see what he can do with it.

Im looking forward to hearing it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rebeldhipi said:

Im looking forward to hearing it :)

It's probably shit, but we'll find out next week. I hope XAVEL captured the IEM streams last night. I'll buy an XAVEL iem ACL GNR release and liberate it, should one appear. :headbang:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sl4yer said:

I was at this show. I was so happy that they played this. Live it was flawless to me. When I came home and watched video it was a wtf moment to me haha.

 

Been there too and feels the same way mate!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You're setting yourself up for maximum disappointment comparing with 1993. You realize how long ago that was? The guy who's quoting you right now wasn't even born when you saw that show. And I couldn't disagree more. The band is on fire, it's Axl who is the weak link, not the band.

Atleast wait until you hear how the new music is before you decide to bury GNR in your nostalgia graveyard. Slash released some of my favourite stuff he's ever done as late as 5 years ago. He Axl and Duff can surely make some more great music together, but those live shows are never going to live up to 1993. The closest thing to that was 2016 in ACDC. Axl totally put everything he had into that and it was as good as any vocals he's ever done, so there is something left in the tank to be excited about.

It doesn't help that aside from Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy the rest of the lineup is pretty corny and blahh.  If that wasn't the case it would offset Axl's shortcomings a little more. I do believe Axl is doing the best he can with what he still has left too. For the most part anyway.. Taking care of himself wouldn't hurt his performance. 

7 hours ago, rocco said:

Literally no pressure, cause EVERY drummer is better than Lars :D

Not Frank

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It doesn't help that aside from Axl, Slash, Duff and Dizzy the rest of the lineup is pretty corny and blahh.  If that wasn't the case it would offset Axl's shortcomings a little more. I do believe Axl is doing the best he can with what he still has left too. For the most part anyway.. Taking care of himself wouldn't hurt his performance. 

Not Frank

Even though I really don't like Frank in the GN'R context, I can guarantee you that he's a hundred times better than Lars. Seriously. I used to be a hardcore Metallica fan (Tattoos and all) and I still kind of am, but I can not listen to any live footage from, say, 2010 on any more, because he's just THAT sloppy.

Edited by rocco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Is Axl sounding terrible again? He started this leg on pretty decent vocal shape. Did it go downhill?

Hopefully he just had an off night. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Hopefully he just had an off night. 

He looks pretty heavy in person. It was actually a little shocking when he walked on stage last week. Last night he started the show pretty strong but started to degrade as the show went on. The air was cold and the wind was blowing some which I’m sure didn’t help. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Hopefully he just had an off night. 

I was at the Palladium gig a few weeks ago, and he sounds better now than he did then. This is 100% the worst time of year for allergies in LA, Austin (allergy capital of the southwest), along with everywhere else they're playing. You can hear that he's got a cold/hay fever.

36 minutes ago, rocco said:

Even though I really don't like Frank in the GN'R context, I can guarantee you that he's a hundred times better than Lars. Seriously. I used to be a hardcore Metallica fan (Tattoos and all) and I still kind of am, but I can not listen to any live footage from, say, 2010 on any more, because he's just THAT sloppy.

Frank is no diff than Sorum IMO - he plays everything on the 1 w a 1/4 note feel. He's a got a lot more finesse than Sorum so I prefer him. Adler plays everything on the 2 with an 1/8 note feel which is what makes the AFD shit pop up and down.

To quote James, Lars has never been drummer of the year. Those parts are really complicated, and I think he's playing great all things considered. Neil fucking Peart retired for this exact reason. 

At any rate, I think this GN'R tour is as good as it can be for a quick fe$tival run. Next year will be hopefully be amazing!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I know damn well what the setlist is at this point. 

But when Axl said, “And now the one you’ve been waiting for”, I legitimately thought to myself “holy shit, it’s coming...” 

He then talked about warm, fuzzy feelings and then launched into YCBM.

Axl you motherfucker lol 

Edited by GNRfanJen
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

He looks pretty heavy in person. It was actually a little shocking when he walked on stage last week. 

At the last show I went to my buddy turned to me and said "Wow he looks like shit huh?" as soon as Axl walked on stage.. The show before that a girl I knew texted me from another part of the stadium said it was gross watching him do the snake dance and thrusting his hips because he looked so bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rocco said:

 I can not listen to any live footage from, say, 2010 on any more, because he's just THAT sloppy.

Well that his 30 years into his career.. He has aged.. Not saying he is the best drummer ever but playing that kind of music is taxing and he still played drums on some on a lot of the best metal songs ever recorded. \m/

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Well that his 30 years into his career.. He has aged.. Not saying he is the best drummer ever but playing that kind of music is taxing and he still played drums on some on a lot of the best metal songs ever recorded. \m/

I agree on the last part, but other than that... I mean he's only 3 years older than Frank, so this argument is not really valid to me to be honest. On the other hand, I was just about to go on rambling about how other musicians are still on top of their game even 30 years into their career but then I remembered that this is a GN'R forum, so... whatever :D

Edited by rocco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Saw some videos, and he does sound noticeably weaker, with some hints of Bridge School at some points. The big difference from previous concerts in such a short time indicates some specific issue like a cold or something. 

Tbh I think the obsessive discussion and derision of Axl's looks and weight that relentlessly takes over threads in this forum has reached disgusting levels. It's frequently toxic and weirdly obsessive, while full of arguments that make absolutely no sense. There are loads of fantastic singers that are overweight through their whole careers, and singers who look fantastic for their ages (Bon Jovi being one of them) that have absolutely obliterated their voices. There is zero correlation.

Yes being in shape and performing a physically demanding job have no correlation.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stiff Competition said:

Yes being in shape and performing a physically demanding job have no correlation.

Vocals obviously get worse with age, but the fact that every time Axl has been in shape, he sings amazing... it is definitely related.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Hopefully he just had an off night. 

Wasn’t it pretty much accepted he did have a cold? I thought I read it somewhere!

7 hours ago, rockphantom said:

It's probably shit, but we'll find out next week. I hope XAVEL captured the IEM streams last night. I'll buy an XAVEL iem ACL GNR release and liberate it, should one appear. :headbang:

Do you think there will be any IEMs of the last couple of shows where he was strong vocally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ak1nney said:

Vocals obviously get worse with age, but the fact that every time Axl has been in shape, he sings amazing... it is definitely related.

Exactly. There’s a reason 2006 was so good.

If he didn’t run around so much, it wouldn’t make as much of a difference as it does but he’s a fairly active frontman, so he gets winded. 

Anyway we’ve all beaten this topic to death but I thought the post above saying there is no correlation was laughable. That’s like saying conditioning doesn’t matter for athletes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really dont care about Axl's belly and I also think this shit is tiresome. The girl said it was gross to see an old dude dancing? Really? WTF? 

 

And about Frank: he plays like he should for the most part. I don't recall that much people talking about him before, it seemed to get a lot worse since Slash and Duff came back. Saw a lot of people blaming him for the sped-up tempo in the songs (but they've been playing like this since 2001). And IMO, there's a lot who just dislike his tone or feel, but that doesnt make him a bad musician (IMO, miles better than Matt Sorum). Brain never played YCBM's intro properly and didnt get that much shit. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

And about Frank: he plays like he should for the most part. I don't recall that much people talking about him before, it seemed to get a lot worse since Slash and Duff came back. Saw a lot of people blaming him for the sped-up tempo in the songs (but they've been playing like this since 2001). And IMO, there's a lot who just dislike his tone or feel, but that doesnt make him a bad musician (IMO, miles better than Matt Sorum). Brain never played YCBM's intro properly and didnt get that much shit. 

This is really interesting, because Slash and Duff kind of adapted the way to play those songs from the NuGN'R line-ups.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

 

Tbh I think the obsessive discussion and derision of Axl's looks and weight that relentlessly takes over threads in this forum has reached disgusting levels. It's frequently toxic and weirdly obsessive, while full of arguments that make absolutely no sense. There are loads of fantastic singers that are overweight through their whole careers, and singers who look fantastic for their ages (Bon Jovi being one of them) that have absolutely obliterated their voices. There is zero correlation.

 

2 hours ago, Pedrolg said:

 

Axl's issue is not carrying a few extra pounds. Doing what he does at nearly 60 is simply not possible if you are in shitty cardio shape. His issue is 30 years of singing way above his natural vocal range with an insane amount of vocal distortion, and possibly without proper technique for a good part of it.

I agree with both of these. He shredded his voice back in the 90s and wasn't using good technique so it's gone now for the most part, except for when he tries really hard (Axl/DC, rock the rock). Even when he rasps now the timbre  doesn't sound the same as back in the day. However he has been sounding a bit better this run and if it's true that he's been working with a vocal coach then he should continue to do so. Maybe he can bring some of those parts of his voice back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sosso said:

This is really interesting, because Slash and Duff kind of adapted the way to play those songs from the NuGN'R line-ups.

They don’t. A lot of songs were changed after they came back in 2016. Paradise City is a good example. It’s played much faster now. 

I agree that 2001 lineup played in a faster tempo, but just as 1992/93 live, shows, which had songs played in “rush mode”. So it has nothing to do with “new gnr way of playing the songs”

Edited by ChrisMaciel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×