10/23/19 - Oklahoma City, OK - Chesapeake Energy Arena [Dead Horse played for the first time since 1993]

alfierose

1 hour ago, Derick said:

Can we consider DH as a deep cut? I know it’s not an hit but still..It was played a lot on MTV. :shrugs:

Anyway, pretty cool that played it! That was a good surprise. 

Wasnt played much during the illusions tour so as a illusions f an i classify it as a deep cut.

I actually found the whole messiness thing endearing... couldn’t autopilot and it felt way more interesting!

I don’t want them to be afraid of experimenting and trying shit out (the power of mygnr’s commentariat)! Obviously miss the rasp, but I don't think I’ve heard a GNR song where that high clean voice was better suited if he has to bust it out.

It would be siiiick if Axl did the acoustic, though. Back to back with Mr. Hudson!

Also nobody commented on the zombie horse cgi...

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

100% this. Really excellent to see these UYI deepcuts popping up.

I don't mean to sound spoiled, these songs are great and have made this leg worth it, but all we need now is one song...about being schooled...hard...and I can die a happy man. I wouldn't dare expect it if it haven't popped up in the alt lists, but considering it has and we've been hearing the other cuts it would be real amazing to hear this one next.

Or, as many, and myself, have been speculating, it could be the biggest troll move ever. I'm thinking it is, and they're hyping us up by playing the alts and putting it on the set at the same time.

I really reckon they will spring hardschool during the vegas run.

5 minutes ago, Ant said:

I actually found the whole messiness thing endearing... couldn’t autopilot and it felt way more interesting!

I don’t want them to be afraid of experimenting and trying shit out (the power of mygnr’s commentariat)! Obviously miss the rasp, but I don't think I’ve heard a GNR song where that high clean voice was better suited if he has to bust it out.

It would be siiiick if Axl did the acoustic, though. Back to back with Mr. Hudson!

Also nobody commented on the zombie horse cgi...

Was just about to mention that!! Effectively confirms it will be getting more outings in the future! 🤟

12 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

You did not spell you’re correctly. Just kidding dude.

That was f*cking awesome, Axl sounded brilliant and this is the perfect song for his current voice. I don’t care if it’s slightly different or the arrangement is not exact as the album version, we can just agree to call it Dead Horse Alt version (Take #1 Drums up 1.5Db version) 😊

:D It's really not an alt version. :D They got lost during the solo section and couldn't recover.

It's cool they played it but man...talk about half assing everything. Way too much Mickey here as well, the song loses all it's grit and power sung like that. They sounded like a very unprofessional cover band here, sorry.

• Like 1

I can't be the only one who thinks that there is no way that they're ever gonna play Hardschool

Of course I'd happily be corrected until November 2, but this is a 20 year old unrecorded song, which just leaked, I don't see why they should play it 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

I can't be the only one who thinks that there is no way that they're ever gonna play Hardschool

Of course I'd happily be corrected until November 2, but this is a 20 year old unrecorded song, which just leaked, I don't see why they should play it 

Although in 2015 there was no way I ever thought Slash would be back in GNR, and as late as 3 months ago I never thought Locomotive would ever be played live either!  So far GNR has been actually delivering on their promises of the alt. set list songs so I am at this point fairly hopeful that they can bust it out

Considering Slash has said they have worked on new material, it is very possible HS is one of the ones Axl showed Slash because it is one of the most Slash-like songs of the CD sessions and that is why they put it on the list, the leaks can be coincidental

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

I didn't even think it was that bad. I think the only think that took me off guard was Axl not singing the lyrics. You would think the man that wrote that whole song would be able to at least remember the line that sells that whole song and the way it's set up.

As for the actual performance, beside the already mentioned vocal flub, they were GOLDEN up until the solo, and even the first part of the solo is Slash being Slash. If I was the band, instead of having Frank keep time, I'd just have Slash go for the intro, especially if Axl's not playing the guitar. I honestly think Frank keeping time threw Axl and Slash off their game. In the beginning of the clip, Slash is hunched over in his "Berry" stance and literally looks like he's about to shit himself, mean while Axl is going faster than the underdog at the Kentucky Derby. Duff is literally standing there. Axl literally looks like he turns off mentally and pshyically before "maybe if I look real hard....." Duff turns and looks at him like "bro are you there?"

Fortus does play the wrong rhythm which probably threw Slash off. But Axl really just came in out of timing, which in turn threw the whole band out of wack. 

If you watch this video, at the 3:00 mark, Fortus THINKS he knows where he is in the song. But Axl fucks up the lyrics again throwing him off. He also realizes the band is in a whole other part of the song. If you keep watching and pay close attention to Fortus, I think hes so lost at this point he starts turning the volume up and down on his guitar until he can hear where everyone else is at in the song. This seems painfully obvious to me around 3:10-11.

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

I didn't even think it was that bad. I think the only think that took me off guard was Axl not singing the lyrics. You would think the man that wrote that whole song would be able to at least remember the line that sells that whole song and the way it's set up.

As for the actual performance, beside the already mentioned vocal flub, they were GOLDEN up until the solo, and even the first part of the solo is Slash being Slash. If I was the band, instead of having Frank keep time, I'd just have Slash go for the intro, especially if Axl's not playing the guitar. I honestly think Frank keeping time threw Axl and Slash off their game. In the beginning of the clip, Slash is hunched over in his "Berry" stance and literally looks like he's about to shit himself, mean while Axl is going faster than the underdog at the Kentucky Derby. Duff is literally standing there. Axl literally looks like he turns off mentally and pshyically before "maybe if I look real hard. Duff turns and looks at him like "bro are you there?"

Fortus does do play the wrong Melody, which probably threw Slash off. But Axl really just came in out of timing, which in turn threw the whole band out of wack. 

If you watch this video, at the 3:00 mark, Fortus THINKS he knows where he is in the song. But Axl fucks up the lyrics again throwing him off. He also realizes the band is in a whole other part of the song. If you keep watching and pay close attention to Fortus, I think hes so lost at this point he starts turning the volume up and down until he can hear where everyone else is at in the song. This seems painfully obvious to me around 3:10-11.

I wonder what axl was motioning to slash at 3.40....

I think the whole band were thrown off when axl didnt sing "not quite an old soul"

Edited by Sydney Fan

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I wonder what axl was motioning to slash at 3.40......

Looks like he was telling him to keep the melody going. If you remember the actual song, it just goes to a tape cut. So, Slash could have ended at any time, Axl told him to bring it back around so he could sing it.

4 hours ago, coolio GNR said:

Irritates me how dead the crowd is on this. They need encouragement to play deep cuts like this. Maybe it's just the ones in the video idk.

I think at this point, most of the crowd is just casual fans who want to hear the hits and aren't familiar with lesser played tracks like this.

• Like 1

My predictions for Dead Horse were as follows:

Axl probably won't play guitar on it. 

Axl will nail the first scream, then go falsetto, but it'll probably still sound good

I got those right, then the band threw my a couple curve balls starting with Axl screwing it up from the beginning.... Well played gentlemen... I just never know what to expect lol. 

Having said that, it's not the end of times or anything. Hopefully they bust it out again and get better at it. 

• Like 3

So good to hear Dead Horse being played. Sure it wasn’t the best version but they probably haven’t rehearsed it enough , I still thought it was still good to hear though. Overall to have DH followed by Locomotive is something I didn’t think I’d ever see on the tour 

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gold top 78 said:

So good to hear Dead Horse being played. Sure it wasn’t the best version but they probably haven’t rehearsed it enough , I still thought it was still good to hear though. Overall to have DH followed by Locomotive is something I didn’t think I’d ever see on the tour 

Yeah, but geez, rehearsing a song to play at a concert. Who would do that? <_< It's funny how with this band (*cough* Axl) we already assume from the get go, that they haven't rehearsed enough. And of course, playing rare songs the fans want to hear, right from the first concert of a leg and keeping it in the set?! GTFOOH. I guess only wankers would do that. :lol::facepalm:

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Haha 1