10/23/19 - Oklahoma City, OK - Chesapeake Energy Arena [Dead Horse played for the first time since 1993]

alfierose

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

Let me reimind you that Ax never did show up for rehersals post '89 shows, but it always did sound half decent because the band played well.

Now we have a guy butchering the songs for years on drums and after so many years it does become irritating.

If you want, saying that I call out for awful playing a guy who is at rehersals every single day over a guy who isn't. that fact should just make him better than the guy who isn't - not as bad or worse.  It speaks volumes about his playing capabilities.

LOL, you can't justify his awful playing by 'yeah, but unlike Axl, he shows up for rehersals daily'.

And honestly, I don't care about his playing, I am concerned where is the end of his tenure in the band by now.

Hate on Frank all you like but he's not going anywhere any time soon. 

Oh... And yeah, Axl has never shown up and he's always the cause of timing issues. 

Literally what video is everyone else watching of this.

First of all it sounded amazing. Like wow.

And then it's hilarious to see increasing nervous negative Nancies still try to hate on the band.

Despite the improved performances, setlist variation and deepcuts.

Hilarious.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, GNR_RNR said:

Literally what video is everyone else watching of this.

First of all it sounded amazing. Like wow.

And then it's hilarious to see increasing nervous negative Nancies still try to hate on the band.

Despite the improved performances, setlist variation and deepcuts.

Hilarious.

......or people expressing different opinions to yourself, without resorting to insults perhaps? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

52 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

If he truly were that bad as you claim, I'm sure realy musicians like Duff and Slash would notice too and do something about it. So maybe, he is not really as bad as you claim.

Frank isn't bad IMO and if he is bad, he's not anywhere near as bad as people say he is. 

3 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Frank isn't bad IMO and if he is bad, he's not anywhere near as bad as people say he is. 

Frank isn't bad, in fact, I think he's a pretty damn good drummer.  Unfortunately, his style, to me, is just not a good fit for this band.   That doesn't detract from him being a good musician however.  Same with Fortus to a lesser extent as well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, -Jaro- said:

he missed verse!

he didn't play exact solo like on album!

he was faster there!

he didn't jump at that second...

My God, in my dictionary - that IS a definition of live rock'n'roll band.

spontaneous and fun!

Even Axl's Mickey fits in this song.... Better than milionth time SCOM for sure....

If you want to hear it played exactly like the album, go listen to it...

This is one of the most exciting periods in decades (whether their own doing or not). You’d never know it here sometimes. Granted there are a few issues currently, but this kind of stuff is just crazy talk 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

....that'll be why I put "sweeping generalization consciously". Obviously. 

I fully disagree though (especially as the gap between the rich and the poor grows daily) that people being able to drop $300 on a concert ticket is the result of 'hard work'. It's a luxury for the wealthy.....which is a big factor as to why GNRs audience are as they are now, and why we see many complaints on here about audiences being so un-engaged with the  performances. 

Not to say everyone that is able to do so DOESN'T work hard of course. But all this should go without saying really. 

Agree to disagree.  There are plenty of $50 tickets in the upper sections for these shows. $300 isnt a default

There are different price tiers for a reason. 

I suppose my biggest issue with your first post was how it assumed people who are paying $200/$300 a ticket needed to fuck someone over. That’s so ridiculous that it defies logic. That logic could be reversed: those who can’t afford a premium ticket are lazy. Clearly a nonsense statement 

Agree income equality is a major issue of our time, but don’t think a GNR show is a relevant representation of the problem

• Like 2

Just now, guitarpatch said:

If you want to hear it played exactly like the album, go listen to it...

This is one of the most exciting periods in decades (whether their own doing or not). You’d never know it here sometimes. Granted there are a few issues currently, but this kind of stuff is just crazy talk 

Or the version from their last show in Argentina in 1993, that is Guns N Roses defined.  If you don't want to hear people complain....get off the internet.

16 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I think he sounded better in Charlotte last month than he did in '16. I'm just wondering why he sounds "worse" than he did in 2009/10 and during the Bumblefoot days?

If Axl and the band went an octave lower, Dead Horse would sound a lot better i think

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

Just now, nycgunner said:

Agree to disagree.  There are plenty of $50 tickets in the upper sections for these shows. $300 isnt a default

There are different price tiers for a reason. 

I suppose my biggest issue with your first post was how it assumed people who are paying $200/$300 a ticket needed to fuck someone over. That’s so ridiculous that it defies logic. That logic could be reversed: those who can’t afford a premium ticket are lazy. Clearly a nonsense statement 

Agree income equality is a major issue of our time, but don’t think a GNR show is a relevant representation of the problem

That's true - there are cheaper seats. I was sort of forgetting that. 

I was making a generalization more about the sort of people that make up a GNR crowd now, as opposed to the past. I wasn't suggesting that the only people who go fuck people over......more about how the expectations of the crowd now are very, very different to those of the past. And let's face it - a lot of people going to see them these days are the EXACT sort of people the band railed against in their younger days, and the sort of people who would be horrified by encountering the band in their youth. That's more my point- the the generalization was an exaggerated stereo type really. Probably a bit clumsy. 

I do think that income equality is kind of represented in concerts though - there's no doubt about the fact that prices have rocketed and younger/poorer fans are now relegated to the rafters at the back, or totally locked out of a lot of live music. That's very sad to me- it used to be that kids could buy a ticket, queue up and get to the front. In my view it made for more enthusiastic, excited crowds and a more lively live music experience. Looking back at old footage of concerts with crowds going wild you can't help but wonder how different things would have been if all those kids at the front were stuffed at the back in favour of those with the cash to pay to be up close. Probably all a discussion for another time though! 

OK, I finally got to watch this thing...I love Dead Horse, I had it at the top of my list over songs to be played over Locomotive and others.

At any rate, the band is OK, not very tight.....probably just need to let it come to them. 

Axl, at first I thought he just wasn't trying when he went falsetto (pretty much full Mickey).  The scream by the way sucked balls, but that's a different story.

Back to Axl, I thought he wasn't really trying...but then he tried, he really did and it's like for some reason he just doesn't want to push himself over that edge with Guns now like he did when he guested with AC/DC.    He tried to go rasp and its like he could do it, maybe, but he just wouldn't.......commit to it.  He sounded like shit. 

I'm gonna put this right on him, if he doesn't want this type of criticism that is 100% accurate, then practice the fucking song b/c you can tell he hasn't really practiced the song to sing it with Rasp.  He may have practiced it, but it's mailed in.

Give him a few takes though and i'll bet it'll sound much better.  But, that much better performance should be out of the gate for him not a few takes b/c for whatever reason he has no real desire to try and make the first take great, he's OK with working up to it. 

1 minute ago, tsinindy said:

OK, I finally got to watch this thing...I love Dead Horse, I had it at the top of my list over songs to be played over Locomotive and others.

At any rate, the band is OK, not very tight.....probably just need to let it come to them. 

Axl, at first I thought he just wasn't trying when he went falsetto (pretty much full Mickey).  The scream by the way sucked balls, but that's a different story.

Back to Axl, I thought he wasn't really trying...but then he tried, he really did and it's like for some reason he just doesn't want to push himself over that edge with Guns now like he did when he guested with AC/DC.    He tried to go rasp and its like he could do it, maybe, but he just wouldn't.......commit to it.  He sounded like shit. 

I'm gonna put this right on him, if he doesn't want this type of criticism that is 100% accurate, then practice the fucking song b/c you can tell he hasn't really practiced the song to sing it with Rasp.  He may have practiced it, but it's mailed in.

Give him a few takes though and i'll bet it'll sound much better.  But, that much better performance should be out of the gate for him not a few takes b/c for whatever reason he has no real desire to try and make the first take great, he's OK with working up to it. 

The slash solo was pretty bad and needed work too. Drums were pretty much off the whole song also. Axls not alone on the issues but overall still happy they tried doing it.

• Like 1

I didn't think it sounded that bad tbh.

Although Dead Horse would be pretty low down on my list of deep cuts. Give me any of these over DH:

Right Next Door To Hell, Bad Apples, You Ain't The First, Think About You, Anything Goes, Breakdown. 

Edited by Towelie

4 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Looks like he was telling him to keep the melody going. If you remember the actual song, it just goes to a tape cut. So, Slash could have ended at any time, Axl told him to bring it back around so he could sing it.

This is the universal symbol in bands for "go around one more time." He wanted Slash to play that part again because he missed his  mark/cue to start vocals.

• Like 1

Just now, ChildOfTheMoon said:

It wasn’t the best performance of the song, far from it, but so what? They’ve messed up, it’s a live rock n roll concert, I don’t see any problem with that, it’ll be better next time. Some people turn everything into a big drama as if the band is garbage just because they’ve messed up DH. C’mom, chill out, have a laugh! I personally prefer them trying something new and failing at it then the exact same show night after night. Now we have something else to talk about besides all the Locomotive statistics.  Let’s choose the coolest DH live performance! 😄

Totally agree.