10/23/19 - Oklahoma City, OK - Chesapeake Energy Arena [Dead Horse played for the first time since 1993]

alfierose

I’ve listened to it a few more times since last night and I will say, while I really do think Axl could’ve and should’ve thrown a bit more rasp into it, he sounds fine. I do maintain that they probably could’ve thrown this in another rehearsal or two- while it is nice to see a rock band play as, well, a rock band, I think this being that sloppy with most band members messing up a part was a bit embarrassing. At least it was hard for me to watch.

3 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

Dead Horse should be played like this and ONLY like this!

No Axl on guitar intro, no Frank idiotism

Also, there is no edge on Oklahoma version, a bit too 'plastic'  in a way

Axl sounded better than this last night.

Edited by Rhino

Again, I’m happy as hell we got it, but I think another thing that kinda bothered me was the lack of an acoustic intro. I’m not saying Axl has to play it, but I think it would’ve been cool to see by maybe fortus- always gave the scream and the meat of the song a good punch.

3 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Again, I’m happy as hell we got it, but I think another thing that kinda bothered me was the lack of an acoustic intro. I’m not saying Axl has to play it, but I think it would’ve been cool to see by maybe fortus- always gave the scream and the meat of the song a good punch.

I thought that too. Fortus has a crazy effects setup, I'm surprised he didn't bust out something that makes his electric sound acoustic. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nycgunner said:

Agree to disagree.  There are plenty of $50 tickets in the upper sections for these shows. $300 isnt a default

There are different price tiers for a reason.

Umm. Yes. When going to a concert, sitting in the upper section is not an option. At least when you really care. If that's all I'm made to be able to afford, then I stay home and not go through the trouble to leave my house, city, country and attend a show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

That's true - there are cheaper seats. I was sort of forgetting that. 

I was making a generalization more about the sort of people that make up a GNR crowd now, as opposed to the past. I wasn't suggesting that the only people who go fuck people over......more about how the expectations of the crowd now are very, very different to those of the past. And let's face it - a lot of people going to see them these days are the EXACT sort of people the band railed against in their younger days, and the sort of people who would be horrified by encountering the band in their youth. That's more my point- the the generalization was an exaggerated stereo type really. Probably a bit clumsy. 

I do think that income equality is kind of represented in concerts though - there's no doubt about the fact that prices have rocketed and younger/poorer fans are now relegated to the rafters at the back, or totally locked out of a lot of live music. That's very sad to me- it used to be that kids could buy a ticket, queue up and get to the front. In my view it made for more enthusiastic, excited crowds and a more lively live music experience. Looking back at old footage of concerts with crowds going wild you can't help but wonder how different things would have been if all those kids at the front were stuffed at the back in favour of those with the cash to pay to be up close. Probably all a discussion for another time though! 

Out of likes.

Slash just got a bit confused during the solo. Probably caught off guard or forgot it all of a sudden, then he forgot the 'smilin' outro. Shit happens. Axl and Frank tried to get it back on track. Will be good to see the next performance of this. Hopefully Slash keeps the solo sounding more like the record - it's one of those solos that's a song within a song and helps the transition. 

This is GNR. Trying cool/new songs, and polishing them with each show. The band I grew up with. Love it. 

Edited by zepsun
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

:D It's really not an alt version. :D They got lost during the solo section and couldn't recover.

It's cool they played it but man...talk about half assing everything. Way too much Mickey here as well, the song loses all it's grit and power sung like that. They sounded like a very unprofessional cover band here, sorry.

gonna agree they all sounded like a bad cover band other than axls scream that he got its a dying cat killing mickey throughout - we all want deep cuts - but i had a feeling this song just wouldn't be possible, the entire song is rasp and any hints he would go for it didn't come to fruitition 

why is that he could bring it for shoot to thrill and back and black but for dead horse no-

this is the gold standard 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

20 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

gonna agree they all sounded like a bad cover band other than axls scream that he got its a dying cat killing mickey throughout - we all want deep cuts - but i had a feeling this song just wouldn't be possible, the entire song is rasp and any hints he would go for it didn't come to fruitition 

why is that he could bring it for shoot to thrill and back and black but for dead horse no-

this is the gold standard 

2016 - preperation for the shows.

My thoughts are he had vocal laser surgery prior to starting NITL. He was fitter. He had a vocal coach he practiced with for acdc/gnr. He worked his ass off to practicing and learning songs for acdc. He was motivated.

2019 - Not preparing enough. Not as fit, heavier and older. Has not been seeing a vocal coach since 2016. Needs vocal laser surgery again from 3 years of touring. 

IMO

Side note that dead horse clip was half of his life ago. Great performance. No way he could compete with that.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 1

I know Axl doesn't rehearse, he'is fat etc etc etc..... But it is what it is and at least we got something... I was born in 94 and when GNR blew my mind there were not GNR anymore. And I never tought a reunion was possible... So living this moment, at least 3 of them.. Playing Estranged, Locomotive, Shadow of your love, Coma, Dead Horse, Out ta get me, My michelle..... Its amazing! I love this moterfuckers 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, History2010 said:

Based on Axl going up to talk with Duff right after debuting Locomotive and now Dead Horse, we can infer that Duff is the one really pushing for the deep cuts. Maybe more than Slash?

Probably.

I think Slash is like "ugh, I have to learn another 30yr old song. Man, this is getting in the way of writing the next SMKC record."

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just got to really listen to it. 

Other than Axl missing his line at the beginning, I spent the first couple of minutes thinking "Come on now, this isn't THAT bad". 

Then the solo happened.....lol

Slash is the one and only reason the song got screwed up from the solo on IMO. 

Weird, right? It had to have been him and Duff who suggested the song, I doubt Axl did- so as per Slash’s usual standard you’d think he’d have played a solo that sounds like he at least practiced or rehearsed it more than a couple of times.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Well... it wasn't horrible, but they didn't fucking rehearse it enough. :D

Now that I think about it, it sounded like they didn't rehearse it at all and just winged it as memorized from the 90s. Still awesome, and hopefully it will be played again just to improve the reputation. 

Edited by jamillos

Just now, jamillos said:

Now that I think about it, it sounded like they didn't rehearse it at all and just winged it as memorized from the 90s. Still awesome, and hopefully it will be played again just to improve their reputation. 

thats the only reason why it gets a pass i think its the first time they winged a song in the set list since NITL began without having prior confirmations or rehearsals