10/23/19 - Oklahoma City, OK - Chesapeake Energy Arena [Dead Horse played for the first time since 1993]

alfierose

Well - there was a video for the track so that pretty much confirms it will be played again so room for improvement.

And as for not knowing his own song - I remember a scene from MetallicAs SKOM where Lars has to listen to a CD of an older song to remember exactly how it was played and that was only about 17 years gap!!!

50 minutes ago, --DEA-- said:

Omg! Here we go again. Guns play something different and some of you just can't be happy. 

Please go and find another band that is so fu..ing perfect in your eyes... and let us who really love this band do that 😠 

how about.....

Here we go again. Some fans dare to suggest a performance isn't quite as good as it could be and get told they don't 'love the band'. 

It could be suggested that anyone who is so impacted by others having opinions that aren't identical to their own would be best off not visiting an online forum where, you know, opinions are discussed. 

There are other places online where blind devotion rules and ANY criticism of GNR opens you up to personal attack and everyone pats themselves on the back about what big 'fans' they are.......but no one else wants to speak to those self-impressed lunatics. 

• Like 4

OMG! GNR performed Dead Horse! Sounded amazing, but why didn't Axl continue to say the words before the song? I wonder if he forgot?

Anyway, for a song that hasn't been sung or performed in 26 years, GNR rocked it!

You lucky fans who got to see it live! Damn! I'm so jealous!

59 minutes ago, --DEA-- said:

Omg! Here we go again. Guns play something different and some of you just can't be happy. 

Please go and find another band that is so fu..ing perfect in your eyes... and let us who really love this band do that 😠 

lol I agree. I think it's very cool that GNR are bringing back some songs they haven't sung in years! Those songs are freakin awesome too and I thought Dead Horses was always a cool song and I think the band rocked it!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Well - there was a video for the track so that pretty much confirms it will be played again so room for improvement.

And as for not knowing his own song - I remember a scene from MetallicAs SKOM where Lars has to listen to a CD of an older song to remember exactly how it was played and that was only about 17 years gap!!!

Hey you get older you forget shit. lol I think we should give any band a break for trying to do some songs that haven't been done in years. Sit back and enjoy the change. It's good for the soul.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, --DEA-- said:

Did they nail everything back in the day? 😉

God! I doubt it. I mean I've seen some concert footage where Axl didn't sing or was fighting with someone in the crowd or Slash running around and his security trying to bring him back on stage. Who cares! It's a rock concert! That's part of the fun!

When my mom went to concerts in the 70's, it was crazy. Rod Stewart and the Faces would be 2 hours late and once they hit the stage they rocked for 2 hours. Pretty sure they were drunk since she said they brought wine bottles on stage with them. 

No one bitched and moaned. It's all rock and roll and you gotta love it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

God! I doubt it. I mean I've seen some concert footage where Axl didn't sing or was fighting with someone in the crowd or Slash running around and his security trying to bring him back on stage. Who cares! It's a rock concert! That's part of the fun!

When my mom went to concerts in the 70's, it was crazy. Rod Stewart and the Faces would be 2 hours late and once they hit the stage they rocked for 2 hours. Pretty sure they were drunk since she said they brought wine bottles on stage with them. 

No one bitched and moaned. It's all rock and roll and you gotta love it!

As I mentioned above though, people's ideas of what is 'acceptable' and not change when tickets are hundreds of dollars and tours are marketed with 'VIP options', white sofas in front of the stage and at wealthy clientele.

Expectations change, for better or worse, as the entire stall is set up differently. 

51 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just watched. I think they all sound good.. Especially for the first time.. A little sloppy but Axl probably didn't rehearse it with them.. It was good live rock n' roll sloppy.. The dangerous element everyone has been asking for.. Axl sounded better than I would have guessed. 

I am very happy they played and can't wait to see more attempts. Slither, Shadow, Locomotive and Dead Horse? I am envious to everyone that got to see all those songs in one show.  

I actually think axl was the most prepared person for that song, I know he lost timing in the intro but the guys didnt seem to have it down anyway. The solo section and outro was a mess! Axl seemed to be guiding them out of the wreckage😄

But I actually thought Axl sounded ok! Besides the arrangement falling apart I'm hopeful for this one!

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, moreblack said:

I don't think they trainwrecked like this back then

They definitely did, but the reason was alcohol  and drugs, now it's either bad mixes in their IEMs or no preparing enough. When the band isn't rehearsed you know it's bad as they usually play these songs with no vocals and don't  get lost.

Anyway, it was far from perfect but good none the less when it got going!

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

They definitely did, but the reason was alcohol  and drugs, now it's either bad mixes in their IEMs or no preparing enough. When the band isn't rehearsed you know it's bad as they usually play these songs with no vocals and don't  get lost.

Anyway, it was far from perfect but good none the less when it got going!

even when they were fucked it stlll sounded good like farm aid and the warm up stones shows they were still worth the price of the ticket stubs 

I'm just surprised that they played it in todays PC culture ;):P:lol:

^^ That is a joke, but I will say something that some will roll their eyes at. The verses and rhythm guitar during the solo are very Izzy, in that Chuck Berry vein. I think this performance really missed that sensibility. Slashs guitar playing lacked swagger.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

even when they were fucked it stlll sounded good like farm aid and the warm up stones shows they were still worth the price of the ticket stubs 

We don't have access to the amount of bootleg material for the 80s 90s that we do today so you can't  possibly compare and say "this didn't  happen in the old days", it could easily have happened but it's  lost on an old tape somewhere never to be uploaded.

However, we've all watched the Slash drunk welcome to the jungle video, and that is definitely a train wreck! Look at Matt's face when he tries to lock in with a drink out of his mind Slash... I know that face, I make that face when my band go off the rails. This is the first time I've seen a non classic era version of gnr have a meltdown (besides Axls vocals of course), so calm down. 

I can almost guarantee 90% of that crowd didn't  pay to hear dead horse anyway so whether it was good or bad had little to affect on their enjoyment, they came for the greatest hits package and gnr still play those well enough that people watching the band fir the first ti.e go home happy, and feeling their money was well spent.

Edited by Tom2112

5 minutes ago, soon said:

I'm just surprised that they played it in todays PC culture ;):P:lol:

^^ That is a joke, but I will say something that some will roll their eyes at. The verses and rhythm guitar during the solo are very Izzy, in that Chuck Berry vein. I think this performance really missed that sensibility. Slashs guitar playing lacked swagger.

yes and yes it's like the whole GNR band and GNR "fans" are in denial that the songs such as this one have a major swagger to them 

i'm sorry as well for coming off as that guy, but its like every other songs are so fuckign rushed or sloppy it's like they don't even want to do them 

• Like 1

I just don't understand why there was even an issue playing this song it's a rather simple song musically & Ya'll can blow all the excuses up Axl's ass you want but it's pretty pathetic & embarrassing to mess up a single part of the lyrics or timing on your own song that you're bringing back after over 2 decades ... And wtf was that Slash solo? Weird! And then during the outro it looked like Duff & Richard just gave up & stared at Slash in confusion ... Awesome that they played this .. I loved every second of it ... But all-around just a weird performance! 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

how about.....

Here we go again. Some fans dare to suggest a performance isn't quite as good as it could be and get told they don't 'love the band'. 

It could be suggested that anyone who is so impacted by others having opinions that aren't identical to their own would be best off not visiting an online forum where, you know, opinions are discussed. 

There are other places online where blind devotion rules and ANY criticism of GNR opens you up to personal attack and everyone pats themselves on the back about what big 'fans' they are.......but no one else wants to speak to those self-impressed lunatics. 

Just tired of all the negativity in every thread. Just wait until the release a new album 😂 

4 minutes ago, --DEA-- said:

Just tired of all the negativity in every thread. Just wait until the release a new album 😂 

It depends how you view it though - I think people only get annoyed about these things because they care, which is actually really positive. 

"just wait until the release of a new album" did make me smile a bit - never a truer word was spoken! We're all just waiting! 

5 hours ago, Crowebar said:

Yup if Axl can't or doesn't want to go to soundcheck he should at least spend some serious time listening to whatever song that has potential to be performed since he wrote it. He also could very easily watch how it used to be performed on uyi tours since every show was filmed apparently?

No offense intended Axl.

I think you lurk here or else why would Coma/Locomotive/Dead Horse start being played after so many of us begging for deep cuts for years on end?

It's either Axl or tb lurking and reporting back to Axl/Gnr that the hardcore fans want more deep cuts and less covers. Which we do 👍🏻😊

'Black Hole Son' ?? Come on dude... I can understand doing it a couple/few times as a tribute to Chris but it's been done and it was time to move on a long time ago. BHS isn't that good of a song. 

Axl/gnr (hardcore original) fans want to hear Guns songs. I get the whole "but we have to play the hits or else blah blah blah..." dealio 

While I'm on a semi-rant it'd also be nice if Axl did the odd semi-rant here and there and preferably not a bs woke Axl Political rant. Do a semi-rant about me and others bitching about the covers/setlist and shit once in awhile dude. Doesn't even have to be an angry one either 👍🏻

The day that Axl goes on a political rant on stage is the day that I stop being a fan.

6 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

I agree about Ax blame part, but I have the feeling it started by Frank hitting those cymbals from the start and speeding everyone up.  I have a feeling that rhythm Frank imposed made them all uncomfortable.

I fail to understand if Matt made minimum changes to Adler, and everyone else kept to previous drummers why does Frank drum like he wrote those songs!?

Also wonder where the border line is with Slash/Ax/Duff in terms of Frank the man.

100% wasn't franks fault, maybe you could lay some blame with Richard and Slash though, besides axl losing his way in the intro I thought those were really having trouble remembering a relatively easy chord pattern... they haven't played it in a while, but those guys have definitely rehearsed it so they should be better. Axl wasn't fantastic either, he isn't escaping criticism. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Does hanging up an effigy of Donald Trump and having fans beat him with baseball bats count as a rant? 

That was bad enough. I’m still not completely over that.

Sure, I’m a Trump supporter, but I don’t like mixing politics with my rock n’ roll.

I’d cringe all the same if I went to a Ted Nugent concert and he went on a rant praising Trump.

I listen to rock and I go to concerts to avoid politics. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

100% wasn't franks fault, maybe you could lay some blame with Richard and Slash though, besides axl losing his way in the intro I thought those were really having trouble remembering a relatively easy chord pattern... they haven't played it in a while, but those guys have definitely rehearsed it so they should be better. Axl wasn't fantastic either, he isn't escaping criticism. 

shotsfired is right 

frank completely sped it up at the beginning throwing axl and the rest off even towards the end prior to the outro he's drumming a whole different song yes the rest of the guys fucked up but the foundation of GNR is based on percussion and rhythm and there was nothing there at all sounded like 3 guys all playing different shit on their own 

Just now, The Real McCoy said:

That was bad enough. I’m still not completely over that.

Sure, I’m a Trump supporter, but I don’t like mixing politics with my rock n’ roll.

I’d cringe all the same if I went to a Ted Nugent concert and he went on a rant praising Trump.

I listen to rock and I go to concerts to avoid politics. 

Pretty much every single rock n roll band in history have used politics.

I'm all for it - if an artist feels passionately about it, and aren't doing it just for the sake of it...go for it! 

I know a lot of people feel like you do, mixing politics and music, but it's absolutely entwined with rock music, almost embedded in it's DNA. 

• Like 1