10/29/19 - Salt Lake City, UT - Vivint Smart Home Arena

alfierose

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I didn't see this Shadow but I thought the one from last show was f'n great.  I shared it with a few people who agreed. 

Loads of rasp, if it was in time it probably  would have been a show highlight! 

I've watched few very good versions of shadow this leg. When I said 'all' that was a bit of a stretch, but a lot of timing issues all the same! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vloors said:

I definately agree and i rather a shorter show with max effort. Would be happy with a hour and a half with no fillers and rasp than 3 hours long and half effort.

Me too, I prefer a set that leaves you wanting more. They are going for the give you everything now thing though, and some love it to be fair.

I haven't been to as many shows as probably the majority of the board has but that might provide a different prospective. As the overwhelming majority of folks I have run into are seeing them for the first time, the longer the better even if it sacrifices a bit of quality. They will only being going to thier hometown show, so roll out as many tracks as you can. Especially for the price.

I think after hitting a bunch of shows your opinion may swing to quality over quantity. 

Food for thought....

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Brave thing to do. Where are you based?

In the middle of Ohio, it's a small local radio station. The station is weird they claim there a "classic rock" station, but they also play like the bullshit mainstream pop music too, and play deepcuts from ACDC, Stones etc. it's a kinda shitty station, but it's the only one that doesnt play country music or mainstream shit. So anyways what I think happened was that some guy had the song and decided to just play it and see what happened I guess.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I love that they play as long as they do..  I wouldn't want to see it any shorter than 2 1/2 hours.. Especially for the money they charge. I really have little complaints with the actual show. I could watch Slash Jam all day long.. I think they do a better job at switching up the setlist than people make them out to. Songs like Yesterday's, UTLH, Out Ta Get me and My Michelle are all songs that were played a lot and have been rested for songs like Slither and SOYL. The recent additions of rare badass songs like Locomotive and Dead Horse have been awesome. They do the Duff song rotation the Don't Cry/Patience Rotation while switching up the intro jam and now rotating Locomotive and Coma. Slash solos have went from Godfather to Johnny B. Good, to various kinds of Blues jams.. They experiment with different covers from James Brown to Glenn Campbell to Soundgarden.. The Seeker comes and goes.. Hell, they even played most of the CD album (much to my disliking). Now they play 2sometimes 3 songs from it now which is perfect.. Can't complain about that.  They aren't Pearl Jam or The Grateful Dead but they do switch it up more than most bands. Song order aside, they probably mix it up now more than they ever have. The could shorten the set to an hour and Axl isn't going to sound any better. Especially on songs like YCBM, RQ and SCOM.  When Axl is struggling just turn your attention to Slash.. When Axl is sounding ok, make the most of it.  

The only things I would really change right now are teh way they play KOHD and RQ.. Would love to see more LIES stuff like Reckless Life, nice Boys, You're Crazy, Move To The City and Mama Kin.. Think About You Would Be Cool as well as some more Out Ta Get Me but that could all happen. 

I don't see anyone giving a half effort.. Axl hasn't sounded great in a long time. He is past his prime.. I can't blame his vocal struggles on lack of effort.. I just wish he got his head out of his ass 15 years ago and reunited then. 

\m/ 

Gotta give them props on Dead Horse for sure.. I am fine without seeing Axl on teh guitar.. He needs to concentrate on his singing. 

I think when he gets on stage he is trying but at that point it's already too late, his voice is going to be what it is at that point; it's all the time off stage where he's half arsing it. That's what I'd mean by not putting the effort in. There's no question that they are out there and working hard, I also agree that besides the song order they have swapped in and out a fair few songs... for me, I'd rather not hear some of them like jams etc. and I'd be happy if it was cut to 2.5hrs But I agree, I don't think that will improve his voice, but I think it'll help the drop off factor, and tighten the overall set. I got bored around 1hr 30 into the set last time I saw them! fortunately they kicked into out ta get me and lit the place up. There's a sag in the middle, and it's the same problem the set had in 2009-2014.

As for Dead Horse, it's one of my favourites to blast in the car! Love that they've added it back in! Only reason I'd like to see Axl on guitar for the intro is so Slash can play his own part... and maybe Frank will stop counting on the hat. I'm sure Slash could lead Axl in on time without a Franks count  for the intro and outro:D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I love that they play as long as they do..  I wouldn't want to see it any shorter than 2 1/2 hours.. Especially for the money they charge. I really have little complaints with the actual show. I could watch Slash Jam all day long.. I think they do a better job at switching up the setlist than people make them out to. Songs like Yesterday's, UTLH, Out Ta Get me and My Michelle are all songs that were played a lot and have been rested for songs like Slither and SOYL. The recent additions of rare badass songs like Locomotive and Dead Horse have been awesome. They do the Duff song rotation the Don't Cry/Patience Rotation while switching up the intro jam and now rotating Locomotive and Coma. Slash solos have went from Godfather to Johnny B. Good, to various kinds of Blues jams.. They experiment with different covers from James Brown to Glenn Campbell to Soundgarden.. The Seeker comes and goes.. Hell, they even played most of the CD album (much to my disliking). Now they play 2sometimes 3 songs from it now which is perfect.. Can't complain about that.  They aren't Pearl Jam or The Grateful Dead but they do switch it up more than most bands. Song order aside, they probably mix it up now more than they ever have. The could shorten the set to an hour and Axl isn't going to sound any better. Especially on songs like YCBM, RQ and SCOM.  When Axl is struggling just turn your attention to Slash.. When Axl is sounding ok, make the most of it.  

The only things I would really change right now are teh way they play KOHD and RQ.. Would love to see more LIES stuff like Reckless Life, nice Boys, You're Crazy, Move To The City and Mama Kin.. Think About You Would Be Cool as well as some more Out Ta Get Me but that could all happen. 

I don't see anyone giving a half effort.. Axl hasn't sounded great in a long time. He is past his prime.. I can't blame his vocal struggles on lack of effort.. I just wish he got his head out of his ass 15 years ago and reunited then. 

\m/ 

Gotta give them props on Dead Horse for sure.. I am fine without seeing Axl on teh guitar.. He needs to concentrate on his singing. 

There's a difference between onstage effort and preparation.  I don't know how much preparation Axl puts in but...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vloors said:

Yep thats the thing why continue to do it if fans dont like it?

If his having voice problems why continue to book a massive 4 year tour instead of resting your vocal cords or getting them fixed.

Nothing makes sense with this band.

yeah. Maybe it's too late to fix them? This band is complicated, but anyway we're still here lol

30 minutes ago, MildlyArtistic said:

How on Earth is Axl's timing still so wildly inconsistent on Shadow?

Honestly, not in a million years would I have expected to be even discussing this song in 2019. But I think it's like Gibbo says, Axl sings a lot of words in a short period of time. He also needs a shitload of air in his lungs for this. Also he's still running around the stage at 56 while carrying about 1.5x the weight he used to.

I remember a show in 2006 where Axl was pissed and sang every song standing in one spot, hardly moving at all. It was one of his best shows vocalwise. I believe it was Dublin?

Anyway. Seeing Axl kinda pull off SOYL makes me believe that he would be okay on songs like Perfect Crime, You're Crazy (AFD) or anything that's a bit fastpaced. Also I think that IRS would be fine and I'm kinda bummed it's been gone for a while. The studio version is meh but he nailed the song live in 2010.

Edited by UcudBmine
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

If he slowed down it would make it easier for him. It makes me think he would do alright on Perfect Crime, Singing a million miles an hour. If he sung the whole set like this he would be home in bed before the band started Paradise City :lol:

With the way Axl's already struggling for breath at times it would be the entire GN'R catalog in 75 words.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UcudBmine said:

Honestly, not in a million years would I have expected to be even discussing this song in 2019. But I think it's like Gibbo says, Axl sings a lot of words in a short period of time. He also needs a shitload of air in his lungs for this. Also he's still running around the stage at 56 while carrying about 1.5x the weight he used to.

I remember a show in 2006 where Axl was pissed and sang every song standing in one spot, hardly moving at all. It was one of his best shows vocalwise. I believe it was Dublin?

Anyway. Seeing Axl kinda pull off SOYL makes me believe that he would be okay on songs like Perfect Crime, You're Crazy (AFD) or anything that's a bit fastpaced. Also I think that IRS would be fine and I'm kinda bummed it's been gone for a while. The studio version is meh but he nailed the song live in 2010.

It was Dublin, and you're incorrect he also sat on the piano and the bands speakers :rofl-lol: It was definitely a great show for his vocals, but the atmosphere was weird... I don't need him running around but standing still just isn't entertaining, Axl needs to move. Still one of the most memorable gigs I've been to though, and I like listening back to it.

• Like 1